Democrats Are Going to Regret Beto’s Stance on Conservative Churches

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
First, pollsters should ask voters about O’Rourke’s comments and the issue of tax-exempt status, both now and in the exit polls for the 2020 presidential election. We can be certain this issue will be used in Republican political ads, especially in congressional districts that Obama won in 2012, but that Trump won in 2016. And I suspect this issue and O’Rourke’s framing of it will lead to increased turnout of evangelicals in states that matter to Democrats, such as Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. O’Rourke’s comment may quickly fall out of the national news cycle, but it won’t be forgotten among churches, religious organizations, and religious voters. And if the Democrats lose in 2020, this issue and their handling of it will likely be a contributing factor. That will be true regardless of who the eventual Republican or Democratic candidates are.

Second, journalists should ask O’Rourke and every other Democratic candidate how this policy position would affect conservative black churches, mosques and other Islamic organizations, and orthodox Jewish communities, among others. It is difficult to understand how Democratic candidates can be “for” these communities—advocating tolerance along the way—if they are actively lobbying to put them out of business.

Third, policy analysts should assess the damage O’Rourke’s proposal would cause to the charitable sector. O’Rourke’s stance—if played out to its end—would decimate the charitable sector. It is certainly the case that massive amounts of government funding flow through religious charitable organizations in the form of grants and tax exemptions. But anyone who thinks this is simply a pass-through that can be redirected to government providers or newly established charitable networks that better conform to Democratic orthodoxies is naive to the realities of the charitable sector.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/10/beto-orourkes-pluralism-failure/599953/

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'm curious why the media is protecting Beta when they know he's going nowhere. He'll have to go to freaking Berkeley or some other dystopian proghive in order to get elected to anything ever again. Good thing he has a rich wife because he's likely to remain unemployed indefinitely. So why waste your hypocrisy and bias on him? Save it for someone who has a shot.

If the other Dem candidates were smart (ha) they'd jump all over Beta and lay him out for his ignorant comments and attention whore videos. It would make them look more mature and electable. As it stands, it appears they condone his comments and behavior.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
That won't be the only thing voters will remember:

--- End of line (MCP)

SamSpade

I'm thinking the biggest mistake is compelling Muslims to marry gays.
The religion of peace isn't going to just roll over for that.

BOP

I'm curious why the media is protecting Beta when they know he's going nowhere. He'll have to go to freaking Berkeley or some other dystopian proghive in order to get elected to anything ever again. Good thing he has a rich wife because he's likely to remain unemployed indefinitely. So why waste your hypocrisy and bias on him? Save it for someone who has a shot.

If the other Dem candidates were smart (ha) they'd jump all over Beta and lay him out for his ignorant comments and attention whore videos. It would make them look more mature and electable. As it stands, it appears they condone his comments and behavior.

Look, Skateboard is a lightning rod and a judas goat all rolled into one. His purpose is to take the heat, endure the fallout, and to normalize that kind of thinking as a part of the national conversation.

BOP

I'm thinking the biggest mistake is compelling Muslims to marry gays.
The religion of peace isn't going to just roll over for that.
It's called selective enforcement. I'm not sure how they think they're going to get away with that, but there's not a chance in hell they're going to go after the Religion of Peace.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
Leave the tax exempt status, honor the separation of church and state BUT penalize churches that allow candidates to campaign from the pulpit.

Hijinx

What ever happened to Al Sharptons tax exempt status?

Or is his status that you just don't pay and no one bothers you because of your race