Democrats have no shame in violating the rules

PsyOps

Pixelated
Booker releases secret Kavanaugh emails in defiance of Senate rules, drawing GOP condemnation

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker injected chaos into Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing Thursday by releasing confidential Kavanaugh emails with the backing of fellow Democrats in violation of Senate rules, calling it an act of “civil disobedience” and drawing condemnation from the Republicans on the committee.

“I am going to release the e-mail about racial profiling and I understand that the penalty comes with potential ousting from the Senate,” Booker said at the beginning of the third day of Kavanaugh’s confirmation hearing.

After announcing plans to do so, Booker released 12 pages of emails -- which had been marked "committee confidential" -- online for the public to read. The emails included internal post-9/11 discussions surrounding issues of racial profiling.

This_person

So, it turns out he had permission to release those, and had it hours before he said he would do so "in defiance of committee rules". He knew he was breaking no rules. It's like saying you are going to speed after getting the road shut down and official permission to speed on the road. If you don't tell people that you have permission - even tell them you don't - you'll look like a badass to the small-minded (that, of course, IS the Democrat base).

SamSpade

So, it turns out he had permission to release those, and had it hours before he said he would do so "in defiance of committee rules". He knew he was breaking no rules. It's like saying you are going to speed after getting the road shut down and official permission to speed on the road. If you don't tell people that you have permission - even tell them you don't - you'll look like a badass to the small-minded (that, of course, IS the Democrat base).

I can only guess he was doing it as theater before an audience. If the hearings weren't televised, it wouldn't have come out that way.

(On another note - I'm always a BIT annoyed by - especially politicians - who say - "I take full responsibility for...." when what they REALLY mean to say is, yep, it's illegal/irresponsible/against the rules but I'm doing it anyway AND let's not hear any more of it, ok? I've been hearing politicians use this tactic all my life, and I've
yet to see one get censured/fined/jailed/whatever as an unfortunate but required consequence AFTER doing this. It's intended the way my kids think saying you're sorry
is some kind of blanket absolution.)

This_person

I can only guess he was doing it as theater before an audience. If the hearings weren't televised, it wouldn't have come out that way.

(On another note - I'm always a BIT annoyed by - especially politicians - who say - "I take full responsibility for...." when what they REALLY mean to say is, yep, it's illegal/irresponsible/against the rules but I'm doing it anyway AND let's not hear any more of it, ok? I've been hearing politicians use this tactic all my life, and I've
yet to see one get censured/fined/jailed/whatever as an unfortunate but required consequence AFTER doing this. It's intended the way my kids think saying you're sorry
is some kind of blanket absolution.)

The one thing he actually did violate - I'm guessing because of exactly what you said above, he knew he would never be held accountable - was he discussed in a very broad, general, (and decidedly inaccurate) way the contents of the e-mail before he had permission to do so. That was what Cornyn called him out on (as well as Lee, apparently, but I didn't watch).

I actually don't think that was a very big deal as he released nothing (a) accurate, or (b) specific. Add on to that the knowledge that the e-mails were released just a few short hours later, and it would be pretty petty to hold him accountable for his illegal action.

That said, he ASKED to be held accountable. It would be impolite to not enforce Senate rules on this, up to and including expulsion.