Dems turn on their own

Lenny

Lovin' being Texican
I have been away from the forums for some time so I'm unware if this new Democrat-desperation site has been posted before. If it has, please forgive.

http://www.mydd.com/

Their previous Vice-Presidential candidate is now not liberal enough. It's kind of like the new president of Galudet being not deaf enough. Are these people crazy?

No, wait. They made Howard Dean their leader. Question answered.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We're in a weird political transitional period. The Republicans have gone left and the Democrats have lost their minds. I can understand why the Republicans have moved their position - they want to pick up the middle and the moderate left. But for the Democrats to move even FURTHER left is just weird. It's like they're contrary teenagers who'll do anything to not be like their parents.

C

czygvtwkr

Hmmm last time I check senators were elected to represent their state, not their political party.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
vraiblonde said:
We're in a weird political transitional period. The Republicans have gone left and the Democrats have lost their minds. I can understand why the Republicans have moved their position - they want to pick up the middle and the moderate left. But for the Democrats to move even FURTHER left is just weird. It's like they're contrary teenagers who'll do anything to not be like their parents.
It's time for a new party I say.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Bustem' Down said:
I don't think they would be a good choice. It would be fun for awhile until everyone passed out.
That's the moment my plan will be implemented and the world will embrace its newest Emporer.....

Kyleous Augustus I

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I'd like to see someone whose main focus is social reforms. I'm not talking about a democrat, but someone to fix what's going on. Reform welfare so that it works like it's supposed to and not as a free meal for the rest of someones life. Work on homelessnes, and unemployment and what not. Reduce foriegn aid so that we can help our own people, help our own people help themselves, cause don't get me wrong, if your a waste on society, society will stop helping you.

SamSpade

Bustem' Down said:
I'd like to see someone whose main focus is social reforms. I'm not talking about a democrat, but someone to fix what's going on. Reform welfare so that it works like it's supposed to and not as a free meal for the rest of someones life. Work on homelessnes, and unemployment and what not. Reduce foriegn aid so that we can help our own people, help our own people help themselves, cause don't get me wrong, if your a waste on society, society will stop helping you.

Since we have winner take all in our elections - no one's gonna gain national ground without taking a strong position on an issue VERY strongly on most voter's minds. For the moment, that issue is illegal immigration. A third party candidate with the wherewithal of "send 'em all back, screw the cost" will probably get a lot of votes.

But not more than half.

I've hoped that someone would develop a moderate platform, because that's where most Americans are - I'm more likely to vote for a conservative DEMOCRAT than a strongly conservative Republican. Because my views tend towards the center.

The problem is on most of the major issues, the corners have already been staked out by the existing political parties. You can't afford to split your issues down the middle. For example, you're not going to get conservative votes by being for gun control but against abortion. And you really can't get votes with "moderate" calls to reform.

You have to "cash in" on new territory - balancing the budget, if you're Ross Perot - the environment, if you're Nader. Even so, you're gonna end up taking votes away primarily from the candidate whose views are closest to your own. Which is precisely why Kerry supporters were so against Nader appearing on ballots across the country - he would not win, but would be a spoiler.

I don't see any issue galvanizing the public, right now - nothing apart from the two major parties that would draw attention - except POSSIBLY something regarding alternative energy.

I still think the best place for third parties to form is in Congress. While you might not be able to get votes over national issues - you CAN get them on local ones.