Deputy Arrested After Drunken Crime Spree With Prisoner

Otter

Nothing to see here
Dumb-n-dumbest

A deputy jailer and an inmate he was taking to jail were arrested after an alleged drunken spree in which they're accused of using an official vehicle to pull over motorists.

Knox County Deputy Jailer Clarence Wilson, 37, of Barbourville, was charged with drunken driving, impersonating a peace officer, unlawful imprisonment and official misconduct. The inmate, Shawn Phillip Reynolds, 23, of Vanceburg, was charged with alcohol intoxication.

They were arrested shortly before 1 a.m. EST Wednesday and lodged in the Montgomery County jail, where they remained Wednesday evening.

Reynolds, who is serving five years for credit card fraud and burglary, was being transported Tuesday evening from Barbourville to the Lewis County Jail in Vanceburg in an environmental enforcement vehicle that was marked similar to a police cruiser, including emergency lights on the roof.

Knox County Judge-Executive Raymond Smith said the deputy jailer was using the cruiser because the van normally used to haul prisoners had been damaged in a wreck.

"Clarence Wilson left Knox County with the inmate handcuffed and in the rear seat," Smith said. "Somewhere near Richmond, the inmate ended up out of the handcuffs and in the front seat, consuming alcohol. Somewhere in Fayette County they started stopping speeding motorists and arresting them. They would get them in the back of the cruiser, cut a deal for cash and let them go."

Smith said Wilson has been suspended from his job pending the outcome of an investigation.

Kentucky State Police Trooper Ralph Lockard said motorists began calling authorities Tuesday evening to report that a drunken duo was making traffic stops.

"It was several vehicles that they stopped," Lockard said. "It's just mushrooming."

Lockard said authorities in Lewis County became worried because Wilson was overdue in arriving at the jail. Police between Barbourville and Vanceburg were alerted to be on the lookout for them.

A Mount Sterling police officer happened across the cruiser late Tuesday, Lockard said, when the deputy jailer and the inmate made another traffic stop. Lockard said the deputy jailer had placed the motorist in the back seat. He said the inmate was in the front seat.

The episode is the latest of a string of incidents involving the Knox County jail and its staff. Local officials voted to close the jail last June after three maximum-security inmates escaped and another inmate died of a drug overdose.

A deputy jailer was arrested in June for allegedly selling saw blades to the inmates to help in the escape.

Smith said he was notified about 8 p.m. EST Tuesday that the deputy jailer hadn't arrived in Vanceburg. Smith said he, like everyone else, was worried about the deputy jailer's safety.

"I couldn't believe this happened," Smith said. "The next thing you're likely to hear is that we're on the Jerry Springer Show. I'm humiliated. I'm embarrassed. I apologize to the people of Knox County and the state."