devine

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
leasing to buy

If you lease with option to buy make sure you have the horse vetted before it leaves the owners property.

It could become a sticky situation if you vet the horse after leasing him for awhile. Should you not decide to buy the horse the owner could say the horse came back with problems it didn't leave with.

If you do decide to purchase the horse and then find out he has a problem (or won't pass the vetting) it will be hard emotionally. Plus if things come up in the vetting prior to the lease you might be able to negotiate the price before the lease begins.

It is money out of your pocket up front, but can save you money in the long run.

Find out if the money paided during the lease will go to the final purchase price as well.

Sadie ditto's this information as well.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. :starcat:

devinej

very good point about vetting...kinda (really) wish i'd done it before i bought one of mine...

I am excited too!! this one looks like a keeper from his pics...

BZHorseMomE

Hunter/Eq. Trainer :-)
very good point about vetting...kinda (really) wish i'd done it before i bought one of mine...

I am excited too!! this one looks like a keeper from his pics...

Horses are so much of learning from your mistakes and figuring out how to fix it. This sport never gets boring because a new experience is right around the corner.

There have been many a horse or pony over the years I didn't get because of what the vet found. I had already visualized riding my new mount at a three phase event, going out for trail rides with friends, fox hunting, or a horse show just to hear the words "I can't pass this horse today because". Some were so hard to let go, but some I saw months and years down the road dealing with the problems that vets had picked up on during the pre-purchase. It can happen at well known barns as well as with private owners. It might hurt feels and leave the sellers upset, but in the end you are looking for the best possible match.

IntegritysDream

Yeah depending on just how expensive it is, i am going to get a blood test done a, he is thin (but hes growing, and he was at a race track and because he was too slow to even finish the race training, they just kinda left him in a feild with not alot of grass or hay and he got little grain..they didnt neglect or abuse him persay.. and then this girl got him a about a year ago and has put a lot of weight on him, but he still needs to gain more, as he gets it on, he grows and gets skinny again.) , so my one trainer wants me to def get a blood test done to make sure he doesnt have worms or something, but i heard it can be over 500$ to get a vet check sometimes.. in that case.. i dont think i could afford it. I got the number to the vet and im gonna give him a call and see what tests hes had done before (if any) and check his records on everything.

The only reason why she is selling him is cause she has another horse that was like an abused racing TB that needs ALOT of work and attention and shes also in college and between everything she cant give him the time he deserves and finish his training off. She said she really wants to keep him cause she can just relax on him and have fun, but its not fair for him. Id ont know. Well see. the owner is only like 2 years older then me or so haha!

BlissfulJumper

Equestrian :)
Yeah depending on just how expensive it is, i am going to get a blood test done a, he is thin (but hes growing, and he was at a race track and because he was too slow to even finish the race training, they just kinda left him in a feild with not alot of grass or hay and he got little grain..they didnt neglect or abuse him persay.. and then this girl got him a about a year ago and has put a lot of weight on him, but he still needs to gain more, as he gets it on, he grows and gets skinny again.) , so my one trainer wants me to def get a blood test done to make sure he doesnt have worms or something, but i heard it can be over 500$ to get a vet check sometimes.. in that case.. i dont think i could afford it. I got the number to the vet and im gonna give him a call and see what tests hes had done before (if any) and check his records on everything.

The only reason why she is selling him is cause she has another horse that was like an abused racing TB that needs ALOT of work and attention and shes also in college and between everything she cant give him the time he deserves and finish his training off. She said she really wants to keep him cause she can just relax on him and have fun, but its not fair for him. Id ont know. Well see. the owner is only like 2 years older then me or so haha!

i don't know if your paying for the vet check or if your parents are but i would definitly get it. no matter what the cost just like BZ said it will save a lot of trouble. i just got a horse from fl. and i did the full out vet check and that was close to 2000 dollars but i didn't wanna take any chances. i would do it especially since he was in race training and whatnot. JMO

appaholic

A basic vet check usually starts in around the $500 range and goes up the more you check. JMO but I would NEVER buy a horse without it passing a complete vet check, it really pays for itself in the long run!

FrmGrl

Get some!
A basic vet check usually starts in around the $500 range and goes up the more you check. JMO but I would NEVER buy a horse without it passing a complete vet check, it really pays for itself in the long run!
Just ask me how not checking into a horse thoroughly works out. Especially an ex-racehorse. Just be sure to do your homework on the sellers as well as the horse. Devine will keep you straight. No worries.

IntegritysDream

Just ask me how not checking into a horse thoroughly works out. Especially an ex-racehorse. Just be sure to do your homework on the sellers as well as the horse. Devine will keep you straight. No worries.

yeah. This one wasnt raced, he didnt even finish the race training cause he was to slow. But i just really dont have that 500$... Its only 100$ for the blood test, so i might get that done at least if he doesnt look that great coat and weight and all wise. Im sure devine will know weather hes worth it or not ;)

devinej

yep no worries, we'll check him out thoroughly before we decide to do anything. good idea getting his previous vet records if you can. we'll see what we can do

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

Would you believe I have NEVER had a pre purchase exam done on a horse..not even Roger and he was not cheap...Vence was next in line in the $ dept and I bought him sight unseen no vet check...I hope my lucky horse shoe does not fall outta :gossip: I could be in trouble..

Duckz

yeah. This one wasnt raced, he didnt even finish the race training cause he was to slow. But i just really dont have that 500$... Its only 100$ for the blood test, so i might get that done at least if he doesnt look that great coat and weight and all wise. Im sure devine will know weather hes worth it or not ;)

Since everyone else is throwing in their two cents... :howdy:

I had a pre-purchase exam done a little over $300 recently, but it didn't include blood work or x-rays. Also, you can check w/ the owners to see if they're having a vet out soon anyway and are willing to split the cost of the farm call. Can't hurt to call the local vet and find out how much the exam will cost you.

FrmGrl

Get some!
Since everyone else is throwing in their two cents... :howdy:

I had a pre-purchase exam done a little over $300 recently, but it didn't include blood work or x-rays. Also, you can check w/ the owners to see if they're having a vet out soon anyway and are willing to split the cost of the farm call. Can't hurt to call the local vet and find out how much the exam will cost you.
Well, you can look at it this way. Spend a few hundred now, or potentially spend thousands if something is wrong later. I know too many people who found out that lesson the hard way.

IntegritysDream

I actully didnt do a vet check on my pony, and hes fine.. well i mean hes got some conformation flaws which i think causes his issues.. that and his darn stubborness, but hes 100% healthy.. but i got him cheep too. I called his vet, and they said they have been seing him since the girl got him, and there has never been any complaints for lameness or sickness or anything on their records, only shots and hes had like one basic regular check over and it was good. She has his race papers/old vet records that shes also gonna show me when i go to see him. From what i got out of some people, is that this is the first horse shes had to sell, so i dont think sehs a dealer, shes only like maybee 2 years older then me.

appaholic

Would you believe I have NEVER had a pre purchase exam done on a horse..not even Roger and he was not cheap...Vence was next in line in the $ dept and I bought him sight unseen no vet check...I hope my lucky horse shoe does not fall outta :gossip: I could be in trouble..
:yay:Oh I can believe it, there are some good people out there that truely want you to be happy with the horse you purchase. However there also seems to be alot of the other kind who don't mind misrepresenting the horse.... But if you have anymore of those lucky horse shoes I want one!:huggy: