Deworming Question

SerenitStables

Just a quick question....

Do you all think it would be ok to deworm a horse with a double dose of ivermectin then deworm him a week later with Equimax or Quest???

Any ideas are helpful.

Thanks,
~Jen~

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
SerenitStables said:
Just a quick question....

Do you all think it would be ok to deworm a horse with a double dose of ivermectin then deworm him a week later with Equimax or Quest???

Any ideas are helpful.

Thanks,
~Jen~

I have never doubled with ivermec ...but I give my 750 pound horses 1250 dose...I gave the horse you are talking about a 1500 lb tube dose when I had him...week later equimax or quest is fine...

Is he still eatting good for you??

SerenitStables

Pasofever said:
I have never doubled with ivermec ...but I give my 750 pound horses 1250 dose...I gave the horse you are talking about a 1500 lb tube dose when I had him...week later equimax or quest is fine...

Maybe I will just do the ivermectin and then one of the others a week later. Want to make sure he is dewormed...God only knows how long its been.

Yes he is still eating good. Slowly upping the amount he gets. Giving him hay cubes and a bunch of hay. He seems to be eating every bite I give him. And is always happy to see food.

He is really sweet too. Not pushy at all, even when I am feeding him.

Cowgirl

I never saw a good reason to up the dose over the horse's weight. :shrug: As long as you are maybe 200lbs over, you're fine. I just never saw a reason to purposely double the dose of chemicals for the horse. It's one thing if you're doubling somethign for tapes...but not ivomec.

DQ2B

SerenitStables said:
Maybe I will just do the ivermectin and then one of the others a week later. Want to make sure he is dewormed...God only knows how long its been.

You might be better off waiting 4 weeks as the life cycle for worms is 4 weeks from larve to adult.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
yeah he has been off my farm for a year...and we dont know what they did or did not do with him..I only had him about 10 days..Good luck

SerenitStables

Pasofever said:
yeah he has been off my farm for a year...and we dont know what they did or did not do with him..I only had him about 10 days..Good luck

The girls love him to death and can't wait to see him with weight on.

We are going to catch him up on everything and get weight on him and we'll be good to go.

The weight tape said around 1100 pounds today, but I think it lied to me :frown: Either way he needs to weigh like 1300 pounds and I'll be happy.

I am going to take pictures of him tomorrow or Saturday, I hope. That way I can keep records of him and everything I do and such.

And he looks great in his pink sheet!!!!! :killingme

And thanks for everything Paso!!!! :banana:

quartermom

Low & Slow
Pasofever said:

Are you talking about who I think you are? :coffee:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
SerenitStables said:
1500 is doable(if that's a word)!!!

He needs alot of weight...If his teeth are good and he eats for you like when I had him he should be able to do it...Spring grass will help too...I wish I had had him more then 10 days so I could tell you that he gained alot..but in fact he looked better in 10 days but was NOT by any means where he needed to be..I think I had him on 5 lbs 3 X day so 15 lbs a day of high fat food...good luck..I would love to see the old guy work out for you and have his forever home...if he does not work out let me know...

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
quartermom said:
Are you talking about who I think you are? :coffee:

Yes the one I was going to buy last week that they would not sell me...lol...they GAVE him to Melvin..I went and got him and sold him to SF... :lmao: and wrote :gossip: and said...I bought :gossip: from Melvin..you should have sold him to me you would have had my money not him... :lmao: That was the best part of it..

quartermom

Low & Slow
Pasofever said:
Yes the one I was going to buy last week that they would not sell me...lol...they GAVE him to Melvin..I went and got him and sold him to SF... :lmao: and wrote :gossip: and said...I bought :gossip: from Melvin..you should have sold him to me you would have had my money not him... :lmao: That was the best part of it..

I'm glad to see him in good loving hands that is what he deserves.. He looked so sad and bad when I say him in the fall..

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
quartermom said:
I'm glad to see him in good loving hands that is what he deserves.. He looked so sad and bad when I say him in the fall..

SF pmed me and said he is eatting like a hog...........he will be ok..he just is a HUGE boy that needs LOTS of groceries..

SerenitStables

quartermom said:

I don't understand how people can just not feed a horse. He looks horible and I feel so bad for him.

He is so funny at feeding time. He seems happier and more up beat now. Which makes me happy. He is always happy to see a friendly face and food. He is going to eat more then my other 5 combined!!! But it's ok. I want him fat and happy and enjoying life.

I just don't get people. But it's ok...he has a good home and we will take good care of him. My kids love him already. They are so excited to have him there and they will be sure to spoil him rotten. I will keep pictures updated on my website of him. And once he fattens up I will put some before and after pix on here, as long as someone explains it to me. :smile:

~Jen~

SerenitStables

Pasofever said:
That SOB was TOO big for me.. :huggy:

He is huge!!!!! I was like wow! :smile: But we like em big!!

Though I'd rather run a pony farm. But my kids love to be in the air. I would have loved that draft you had!!!

SerenitStables

Pasofever said:

Hey Paso,

I dewormed Spike today and he was bad!!!!

He sort of made me laugh. He def knows he is a big boy. It was great fun. He practically picked me up in air when I went to do it. But he did let me give it to him.

~Jen~