Dick’s Sporting Goods to Remove Guns From 125 Stores

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. DKS -11.01% said Tuesday it will stop selling firearms at 125 of its stores, further pulling back from the business after the retailer decided last year to tighten its policies around gun sales.

Dick’s has struggled with declining sales since its CEO Ed Stack made a public decision to stop selling guns to buyers under 21 and take assault-style weapons out of all stores after a fatal school shooting in Parkland, Fla. Dick’s is also working to stem sluggish sales as more shoppers buy sporting goods online.

This year Dick’s will remove guns and some hunting gear from 125 locations, after testing the concept in 10 stores last year, Mr. Stack said on a conference call Tuesday. Dick’s had 729 of its namesake locations as of Feb. 2. The space will be used to sell higher-margin, faster-selling categories such as licensed sports gear and outdoor recreation equipment, Mr. Stack said.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
It really doesn't matter to me what they do I don't buy anything from there anyway.

Same here. I have made my last purchase from them. It's a shame, they had some fairly decent fishing equipment. It's nice to see and feel an item before committing.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
As I had noted in a previous thread (last year?) on DSG I probably spent $2-3k per year on hunting, fishing, kayaking, running, hiking, etc. Was my got-to sporting goods establishment & where I spent the majority of my discretionary cash. However, since the company put in place its ill-thought-out guns policy I haven't been back.

Not encouraging a boycott; this is a personal preference.

Anyway, maybe they don't miss my cash. Hoping they do, though. And hoping the company tanks.

--- End of line (MCP)

limblips

PREMO Member
Because I just drove 750 miles and feel lazy and don't want to look it up are they just going to stop selling at some Dick's stores or also at the Field and Stream stores? I know that many of the Dick's stores have a Field and Stream store under the same roof but different name.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Because I just drove 750 miles and feel lazy and don't want to look it up are they just going to stop selling at some Dick's stores or also at the Field and Stream stores? I know that many of the Dick's stores have a Field and Stream store under the same roof but different name.

They pulled their virtue signaling stunt with the Field and Stream stores too...no more "assault style" rifles. That black plastic is dangerous, you know.

SamSpade

I only go there when I am pretty sure I can't get what I want elsewhere. Like - at all.
And I need it NOW.
Most times, it's the most expensive option available.

I kind of wish there were other sporting goods stores down here, but there really aren't.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I only go there when I am pretty sure I can't get what I want elsewhere. Like - at all. And I need it NOW. Most times, it's the most expensive option available. I kind of wish there were other sporting goods stores down here, but there really aren't.

The Tackle Box. St. Mary's original sporting goods store.

nutz

Dick’s Sporting Goods Inc. DKS -11.01% said Tuesday it will stop selling firearms at 125 of its stores, further pulling back from the business after the retailer decided last year to tighten its policies around gun sales.

Dick’s has struggled with declining sales since its CEO Ed Stack made a public decision to stop selling guns to buyers under 21 and take assault-style weapons out of all stores after a fatal school shooting in Parkland, Fla. Dick’s is also working to stem sluggish sales as more shoppers buy sporting goods online.

This year Dick’s will remove guns and some hunting gear from 125 locations, after testing the concept in 10 stores last year, Mr. Stack said on a conference call Tuesday. Dick’s had 729 of its namesake locations as of Feb. 2. The space will be used to sell higher-margin, faster-selling categories such as licensed sports gear and outdoor recreation equipment, Mr. Stack said.

Even though this is a total dick move, again, I do support their right to not want any of my business.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Really? I can, like, buy bikes there, or roller blades, or running shoes or a basketball backboard?

Well, some sporting goods. Just limited to firearms, archery, hunting and fishing stuff. For some fishing is a sport, as well as is shooting. But you're talking about those "other sports". Those, "other sports", just sound too much like work requiring too much physical exertion. ;) I hear that Wal-Mart carries some of the stuff that those, "other sports", use though. You might want to give them a go.:whistle:

SamSpade

. Those, "other sports", just sound too much like work requiring too much physical exertion. ;) I hear that Wal-Mart carries some of the stuff that those, "other sports", use though. You might want to give them a go.:whistle:

You're funny.

Of course I go to Wal-Mart if possible for outdoor camping equipment - their prices are far more reasonable than the big sporting goods stores.
The problem is usually with specialty items (like wicking clothing and thermal clothing) or when I need very specific things like a kind of running shoe for my daughter. It's then I need the help of a bigger more comprehensive store.

Hijinx

You're funny.

Of course I go to Wal-Mart if possible for outdoor camping equipment - their prices are far more reasonable than the big sporting goods stores.
The problem is usually with specialty items (like wicking clothing and thermal clothing) or when I need very specific things like a kind of running shoe for my daughter. It's then I need the help of a bigger more comprehensive store.
There is always Amazon.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I buy everything but fishing tackle from Sportsmans Guide and Midway..on line, with the occasional trip to Bass Pro in Ashland.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I buy everything but fishing tackle from Sportsmans Guide and Midway..on line, with the occasional trip to Bass Pro in Ashland.

SG is my go to for outdoor wear. Most of my tackle is ordered online with an occasional trip to Wal-Mart.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

You're funny.

Now here is what really funny. You want sports stores? Big, full of merchandise, packed wall to wall of nearly every conceivable sport/healthy related stuff? Just go to any large urban area or city. There's where the stores are. The people there frequent these stores so as to "look" as they are fitness sporty types wearing the latest running/sport attire and with kayaks or bikes etc filling their studio apartments or carried for the full summer atop their cars for a lack of a place to put them used once or twice a year. It is hilarious. Take a stroll around Baltimore Harbor or Downtown DC. These people are everywhere trying to get attention. 'Look at me I look good don't I?' Thinking a person that should be wearing a curtain instead of that spandex outfit. Sure, they my run a few steps ... to get the sweaty look. Madison Avenue seems to be going a good job in the cities.