Did KISS invent the power ballad?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That's a real question because I can't think of a previous harder rock group that also did a ballad. They typically stuck with a genre and didn't deviate.

Clem72

That's a real question because I can't think of a previous harder rock group that also did a ballad. They typically stuck with a genre and didn't deviate.
I think Queen might have beat them to the punch by a couple of years.

Edit. And Zeppelin

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Styx Lady (1973) does ramp up a little. Beth was 1976 and much more subdued. When I think of power ballads I always assume hair bands \m/

itsbob

I bowl overhand
KISS didn't want to do a ballad, but their producers forced their hand, as EVERYONE had A ballad. I think they wrote Beth as a tongue and cheek stab at their producers, and became one of their biggest hits.

KingFish

Nothing to see here
Remember when you could still be suckered into serenity by a gentle 12-string guitar or a lonely baby grand, only to be assaulted moments later by crunching power chords, squealing solos and a singer coming off the gas to a painful skin graft of the heart? Such was the raucous majesty of the power ballad, which in its classic form could inspire more fear and surprise than the Spanish Inquisition crouching in your cupboard.

Nowadays all songs go up and down like cars on a jack but then — oh, then! People would crap themselves daily when unexpected Herculean choruses spooked ’em, and no one dished them out with more volatile vigor than Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon, three bands joining in an unholy alliance on the summer concert circuit.......

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Remember when you could still be suckered into serenity by a gentle 12-string guitar or a lonely baby grand, only to be assaulted moments later by crunching power chords, squealing solos and a singer coming off the gas to a painful skin graft of the heart? Such was the raucous majesty of the power ballad, which in its classic form could inspire more fear and surprise than the Spanish Inquisition crouching in your cupboard.

Nowadays all songs go up and down like cars on a jack but then — oh, then! People would crap themselves daily when unexpected Herculean choruses spooked ’em, and no one dished them out with more volatile vigor than Journey, Styx and REO Speedwagon, three bands joining in an unholy alliance on the summer concert circuit.......

I love this post :lmao:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

I'd have to add Boston to that mix. As an aside listen to "The Hook" by Blues Traveler and then read the lyrics.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
crunching power chords, squealing solos and a singer coming off the gas to a painful skin graft of the heart?
What kind of music did you listed to? Did the band names contain words like reaper, apocalypse and or peyote?