Did something stupid!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Yesterday morning I got out of the house early to go to a church yard sale that I have gone to before. I had a piece of cheese with coffee to take my morning pills. There was an indoor room with a lot of stuff and I made a pile, paid (extra then what they were asking) and took my bag out to the car to wrap the glassware. Opened the rear hatch and wrapped everything in newspaper, closed the hatch to go back for a chair I had convinced myself I had to have. Realized my keys are in the locked car because I had laid them down instead of putting them back in my pocket. FU@K!!! My purse, with my phone is also in the car. (I carry a change purse when I am junkin/thrifting)

One gentleman that was working the sale offered another gentleman his truck so he could go home and get tools to break into my car. Long story short- my Terrain is difficult to break into! The one gentleman offered to drive me home so that I could get the spare key. The only problem is that the only spare house key is with a friend and I am not sure she is home and of course, my phone is locked in the car. They called St Mary's sheriffs office and were told unless there is a child in the car, they won't respond. I know a locksmith in Lusby and asked them to look up his #. Instead they called a tow truck driver affiliated with the church and he shows up, puts a wedge like thing in the door and it unlocks. Of course, the alarm goes off and one guy climbs in and over the back seat to retrieve the keys from the back! I didn't see the name of the tow truck driver- I wanted to pay him. The two gentleman said I didn't owe anything since it happened at the church.

The ironic thing is, I never feel the need to lock my car when I go to their thrift store and sales. The other thing is- I kept telling myself to carry my phone and did not. SIGH And FWIW, I have NEVER locked my keys in any vehicle I have owned.

The help these guys and others offered restored my faith in people. The one gentleman, Lee, and I spoke about our lives and the way of the world today. He was so nice. I had tears in my eyes when I left.

I plan to drop off a check at their thrift store the next time I go and a card with my thanks for everyone's kindness and concern.

P.S. I did go back and get the chair!

ginwoman

Yesterday morning I got out of the house early to go to a church yard sale that I have gone to before. I had a piece of cheese with coffee to take my morning pills. There was an indoor room with a lot of stuff and I made a pile, paid (extra then what they were asking) and took my bag out to the car to wrap the glassware. Opened the rear hatch and wrapped everything in newspaper, closed the hatch to go back for a chair I had convinced myself I had to have. Realized my keys are in the locked car because I had laid them down instead of putting them back in my pocket. FU@K!!! My purse, with my phone is also in the car. (I carry a change purse when I am junkin/thrifting)

One gentleman that was working the sale offered another gentleman his truck so he could go home and get tools to break into my car. Long story short- my Terrain is difficult to break into! The one gentleman offered to drive me home so that I could get the spare key. The only problem is that the only spare house key is with a friend and I am not sure she is home and of course, my phone is locked in the car. They called St Mary's sheriffs office and were told unless there is a child in the car, they won't respond. I know a locksmith in Lusby and asked them to look up his #. Instead they called a tow truck driver affiliated with the church and he shows up, puts a wedge like thing in the door and it unlocks. Of course, the alarm goes off and one guy climbs in and over the back seat to retrieve the keys from the back! I didn't see the name of the tow truck driver- I wanted to pay him. The two gentleman said I didn't owe anything since it happened at the church.

The ironic thing is, I never feel the need to lock my car when I go to their thrift store and sales. The other thing is- I kept telling myself to carry my phone and did not. SIGH And FWIW, I have NEVER locked my keys in any vehicle I have owned.

The help these guys and others offered restored my faith in people. The one gentleman, Lee, and I spoke about our lives and the way of the world today. He was so nice. I had tears in my eyes when I left.

I plan to drop off a check at their thrift store the next time I go and a card with my thanks for everyone's kindness and concern.

Nice story. Yes, there are a lot of good people left. Maybe get a spare key and a metal magnetic box to stick it somewhere under the car? I HATE being locked out. We have punch in entry (whatever it's called, lol) on our 2003 Ford Explorer and it has saved my azz a couple of times.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Got a spare key in little magnetic box on my '78 Bronco and '91 Toyota pickup. Couple of "featureless" old vehicles that I drive....

frequentflier

happy to be living
Oh, and after hitting a few more thrifts stores and Wild Birds Unlimited and the credit union, I was absolutely famished (only having cheese for "breakfast" at 8AM!) and went to Longhorn Steakhouse at about 2:30. Though I have never eaten there before, and prefer small businesses, I would dine there again.
The salad was excellent and fresh, the sides were good (asparagus and brussel sprouts) and though my steak was just ok, the server was awesome and attentive. I left her a huge (cash) tip. All the servers there were friendly and great.
I am getting ready to eat the leftovers for breakfast/lunch today!

Bobwhite

Oh, and after hitting a few more thrifts stores and Wild Birds Unlimited and the credit union, I was absolutely famished (only having cheese for "breakfast" at 8AM!) and went to Longhorn Steakhouse at about 2:30. Though I have never eaten there before, and prefer small businesses, I would dine there again.
The salad was excellent and fresh, the sides were good (asparagus and brussel sprouts) and though my steak was just ok, the server was awesome and attentive. I left her a huge (cash) tip. All the servers there were friendly and great.
I have never had a bad meal at Longhorn and I love, love, love their crispy brussels sprouts.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Yay! A happy ending! :clap:

PeoplesElbow

Definitely the best chain restaurant in St Marys.

The chicken sandwich they have at lunch only is excellent.

eric14

Aw c'mon I've done way stupider things. Flashing the wrong BIOS, frying a Nintendo 64, eating too much fried food and vomiting... I could go on.

Longhorn Steakhouse is in Waldorf, right? Silver Diner is the closest I can think of as a favorite chain restaurant (to be honest I'm more of a fan of local shops like Sandgates)

One chain I wish we had here in southern Maryland is Steak 'N Shake, but seems like we're too far east (and possibly north) to get one. Closest I've seen is in Bristol Tennessee or in North Carolina; Dallas/Fort Worth and St. Louis had these places all over, and they had good burgers and shakes.

frequentflier

happy to be living
Aw c'mon I've done way stupider things. Flashing the wrong BIOS, frying a Nintendo 64, eating too much fried food and vomiting... I could go on.

Longhorn Steakhouse is in Waldorf, right? Silver Diner is the closest I can think of as a favorite chain restaurant (to be honest I'm more of a fan of local shops like Sandgates)

One chain I wish we had here in southern Maryland is Steak 'N Shake, but seems like we're too far east (and possibly north) to get one. Closest I've seen is in Bristol Tennessee or in North Carolina; Dallas/Fort Worth and St. Louis had these places all over, and they had good burgers and shakes.
Longhorn on 235

SandieGarry

Somehow, I managed to lock my keys in my van in my mom's driveway/ We have AAA. Called them and a guy arrived rather quickly. He did the same thing, put an inflatable wedge in the door and bingo, unlocked it. I tried to tip him but he refused. The few times I've needed AAA, it's been worth the yearly fee.

Glad all worked out for you.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I've locked myself out twice. First time I was on travel. Fortunately, the window was cracked and I got a wire hanger in to push the door unlock button.

2nd time was in my own garage. Manually locked the door and as I was closing it realized the keys were in the cup holder. Too late. Once again, the window was cracked open, but this car would not unlock by pressing the door unlock button, GM "fixed" that weakness. I was able to use a fiberglass pole with a hook to snag the keys and drag them out thru the window.

For a while, GM had a freebie OnStar offering, and the app on my phone could unlock the doors. Freebie ended and let it lapse. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I've locked myself out twice. First time I was on travel. Fortunately, the window was cracked and I got a wire hanger in to push the door unlock button.

2nd time was in my own garage. Manually locked the door and as I was closing it realized the keys were in the cup holder. Too late. Once again, the window was cracked open, but this car would not unlock by pressing the door unlock button, GM "fixed" that weakness. I was able to use a fiberglass pole with a hook to snag the keys and drag them out thru the window.

For a while, GM had a freebie OnStar offering, and the app on my phone could unlock the doors. Freebie ended and let it lapse. I now carry a spare key in my wallet.
My TrailBlazer will lock itself if the wind blows from the wrong direction., whether or not it's running. I found that out one day when Wifey was at a radiation treatment and a snowstorm came out of nowhere. I took off work and drove to Charlotte Hall to pick her up and leave my car. I started the TB, got out to clean the snow off, and heard the most ominous click of my life. I had a buddy swing by on his way home and pick her up, while I stood there in a blizzard for an hour waiting for the locksmith to show up.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
Somehow, I managed to lock my keys in my van in my mom's driveway/ We have AAA. Called them and a guy arrived rather quickly. He did the same thing, put an inflatable wedge in the door and bingo, unlocked it. I tried to tip him but he refused. The few times I've needed AAA, it's been worth the yearly fee.

Glad all worked out for you.
We have AAA but my card and info were in my purse in my locked car! I have used them for a tow and a jump and you're right- they are worth having!