Did you know.........zoning law

justin

So I just got done talking to St. Mary's Co. Zoning department and they said that you can have a pony on 1 acre of land, but if you provide shelter for it, it is considered a stable and that gets into another aspect of the zoning laws which says you have to have 3 acres of land to have a stable and it has to be 100 feet away from all property lines. So it is like a catch 22, you can have a horse, but if you provide it with shelter, you can not if you do not have 3 acres of land. They are checking to see if a donkey falls into this same category. You can have goats and have shelter for them and that is ok.

The_Twisted_Ear

A proud Conservative!
So I just got done talking to St. Mary's Co. Zoning department and they said that you can have a pony on 1 acre of land, but if you provide shelter for it, it is considered a stable and that gets into another aspect of the zoning laws which says you have to have 3 acres of land to have a stable and it has to be 100 feet away from all property lines. So it is like a catch 22, you can have a horse, but if you provide it with shelter, you can not if you do not have 3 acres of land. They are checking to see if a donkey falls into this same category. You can have goats and have shelter for them and that is ok.

I always wondered about that. Our Granddaughter has a Miniature Horse/Pony (I think it is a Miniature Horse cause it is real small and won't get any bigger). Anyway, when they go away for a period of time - we feed it, etc. I own a acre of land next to the house and wanted to put up a little "stable" just so we can bring the pony over and not have to run over to their house while they are gone. Anyway - based on what you just posted - BUMMER!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Just build a shed big enough for the pony. No permits necessary for a building smaller than (brain cramp - 300 or 400 sqft.)

justin

if it is shelter, she said it is considered a stable, and you cant have that unless you have 3 acres. She said any hooved animal that you provide SHELTER for, must be on 3 acres of land. So donkeys are out as well, but she said goats are still ok.

fredsaid2

You can build a three sided run-in which is not considered a stable. Face the opening to the south, it will provide sufficient shelter.

Cowgirl

if it is shelter, she said it is considered a stable, and you cant have that unless you have 3 acres. She said any hooved animal that you provide SHELTER for, must be on 3 acres of land. So donkeys are out as well, but she said goats are still ok.

:confused: But goats have hooves...

Cowgirl

thats what I said and she said they called them slooves, or something like that.

:lol: WTF? They're cloven hooves. So, by her reasoning, you could have a cow with a shelter and it'd be ok...but not a miniature horse?

justin

yup, she said i could have a cow.

here is the follow up email she sent me.

"Per our phone conversation this is to verify in the ordinance standards, two large animals per acre of land are permitted (CZO Section 51.3.119). Therefore 1.10 acres which you own is adequate for 2 animals. However, any "hoofed" animal that you wish to shelter requires a "stable". Stabling requires 3 acres of land under our ordinance and therefore you do not meet that requirement."

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
Just build a shed big enough for the pony. No permits necessary for a building smaller than (brain cramp - 300 or 400 sqft.)

So what if there was a big dog house and the minature horse just happened to walk inside? Would that count? :whistle:

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
yup, she said i could have a cow.

here is the follow up email she sent me.

"Per our phone conversation this is to verify in the ordinance standards, two large animals per acre of land are permitted (CZO Section 51.3.119). Therefore 1.10 acres which you own is adequate for 2 animals. However, any "hoofed" animal that you wish to shelter requires a "stable". Stabling requires 3 acres of land under our ordinance and therefore you do not meet that requirement."

Sometimes the zoning laws don't make any since. In Florida, I have 5 1/2 acres. I can have 4 horses, but they can't belong to anyone else and I can't give a lesson on my own horses on my property. I have to have 6 acres.:spank:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I found this:

These are for Saint Mary's County : Planning and Zoning Faq ( Linky )

Quote:
FAQ #6: How many animals may I have on my property?

Our zoning ordinance does not regulate the number of animals kept for agricultural activities.
However, animal husbandry operations must maintain adequate fencing or other means of confinement (CZO Section 51.3.3.a).
Animals kept for personal enjoyment are not regulated by the zoning ordinance except when shelter is provided for hoofed animals. A stable requires at least three acres of land.
If a stable is provided, two “large animals” per acre are permitted (CZO Section 51.3.118). “Large animal” is not defined.

Quote:
FAQ #18: Can I have a horse on my property?

Horses are regulated by our zoning ordinance only with respect to their shelter. A private stable is described as an accessory structure, not related to the ordinary operation of a farm, for housing hoofed animals (CZO Schedule 50.4 Use Type 118).
A private stable is a permitted accessory use in the RPD, RSC, RNC, VMX, and TMX zoning districts (same reference as above).
A minimum lot size of 3 acres is required. The stable must be located at least 100 feet from side or rear lot lines. Two “large animals” per acre of land are permitted
(CZO Section 51.3.118).
Therefore, one may have a horse anywhere in the county unless they want to provide it with shelter. Stabling triggers the above zoning restrictions.

My understanding is that minis are not considered "large" animals.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

SO, buy the horse/ pony.. and a goat.. buy an oversized shelter FOR THE GOAT!!

If the pony finds it useful.. oh well..

itsbob

I bowl overhand
AND I thought there was discussion about this somewhere before.. a 'shed' is not considered a stable.