Dining alfreso with your dog

frequentflier

happy to be living
Not wanting to hijack the another thread, I want to ask pet lovers- and non pet lovers as well (you sorry people- LOL) about taking your dog to establishments with outdoor seating.
If there was a doggy menu available, would you take along Fido or Fifi for some doggie cookies, chicken strips or organic frozen yogurt if it were on the menu?

If you are not a dog lover, would you be offended by people nearby with a doggie sharing space next to you? Preferably, a well behaved doggie!

Last weekend in downtown Annapolis, I realized what a dog friendly place it was. We sat outdoors and had a beer and some snackie food beside two guys with a very sweet and laid back pup. I thought it was cool and petted and loved on the pup. They already had treats to give him after he sat and shook your paw. There was other seating available if you didn't want to be around the dog (a pit bull, BTW)

In Solomons and on the island, I know there are several places you can dine outdoors with your pup- Kingfishers, Boomerangs, Striped Rock and Lotus Kitchen off the top of my head.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
When we travel, we take the dogs along. I'm surprised by how many dog friendly places there really are. Wineries, restaurants, shopping areas, and more. However, the business or restaurant offering my dogs something other than water isn't necessary for me to do business with them. Two of my dogs refuse treats from strangers and refuse unfamiliar food. Well, one will take the treat from a stranger than bring it to me and spit it out. The other one still has some food issues, as in he'll eat anything anywhere at anytime. :lol:

KDENISE977

When I lived in Denver it was not uncommon to go to any restaurant that had outdoor seating and see dogs. I took mine and had happy hour and gave her some treats, sat by the water, it was lovely.

I also had an experience there where I saw an American Bulldog pulling an outside metal dining table down the street, poor thing was terrified. :mad: stupid dog owner left it alone and something startled it.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I also had an experience there where I saw an American Bulldog pulling an outside metal dining table down the street, poor thing was terrified. :mad: stupid dog owner left it alone and something startled it.

Sounds like a scene from Marley & Me. :lol:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
I love that Annapolis is so dog-friendly, unfortunately I just don't usually have the schedule to allow Maggie to tag along with me when I head up there...usually have some indoor shopping, or a stop at my Aunt's who doesn't let dogs inside :)rolleyes:) I didn't realize so many restaurants in Solomon's allowed doggies though. I knew the Pier had a couple tables, but they're all the way by the entrance and right next to the dumpsters :dead:

Maggie's really calm and quiet when out in public so I'll have to test those other restaurants out. I like being able to bring her places dogs are allowed. I often go out of my way to FF's store just so I have an excuse to give Maggie a car ride! She loves the car and just loves being near me especially instead of staying home alone. She too, doesn't necessarily need treats or her own menu to get me to patronize a dog-friendly restaurant, but it's nice to know if they offered.

I never like to just assume bc a place has outside seating, that they'll allow my dog. And then when I actually go there, I forget to inquire for next time :lol: Are there any other places people can confirm allow dogs?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Apollo is surprisingly well-behaved at outdoor dining establishments, considering that he is a nut when we try to eat in front of him at home. I've taken him to the marina at Colonial Beach a number of times, and a few other random places in our travels. And yes, I'd buy him a meal if they had a doggie appropriate menu.

I never mind OPD at the table(s) around me - they are usually better behaved than the children and I'm not a germphobe.

frequentflier

happy to be living
I love that Annapolis is so dog-friendly, unfortunately I just don't usually have the schedule to allow Maggie to tag along with me when I head up there...usually have some indoor shopping, or a stop at my Aunt's who doesn't let dogs inside :)rolleyes:) I didn't realize so many restaurants in Solomon's allowed doggies though. I knew the Pier had a couple tables, but they're all the way by the entrance and right next to the dumpsters :dead:

Maggie's really calm and quiet when out in public so I'll have to test those other restaurants out. I like being able to bring her places dogs are allowed. I often go out of my way to FF's store just so I have an excuse to give Maggie a car ride! She loves the car and just loves being near me especially instead of staying home alone. She too, doesn't necessarily need treats or her own menu to get me to patronize a dog-friendly restaurant, but it's nice to know if they offered.

I never like to just assume bc a place has outside seating, that they'll allow my dog. And then when I actually go there, I forget to inquire for next time :lol: Are there any other places people can confirm allow dogs?

Thank you!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Apollo is surprisingly well-behaved at outdoor dining establishments, considering that he is a nut when we try to eat in front of him at home. I've taken him to the marina at Colonial Beach a number of times, and a few other random places in our travels. And yes, I'd buy him a meal if they had a doggie appropriate menu.

I never mind OPD at the table(s) around me - they are usually better behaved than the children and I'm not a germphobe.

My two would not do well -one, though very sweet and passive, really does not like other dogs and the other would probably lift his leg on everything in sight including other dogs :lmao:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
My two would not do well -one, though very sweet and passive, really does not like other dogs and the other would probably lift his leg on everything in sight including other dogs :lmao:

Mine would be begging for scraps. :ohwell:

If I wanted to dine with my dog, I would just put my plate next to hers and eat my dinner on the floor. I would find that less embarrassing than what my girls would do at a dining establishment. :ohwell: Plus I find riding in the car with my girls frustrating. They pace around, dirty up my windows and one will try and get on my lap. One of my girls is a racist anyway, barks at all non white people.

KDENISE977

Mine would be begging for scraps. :ohwell:

If I wanted to dine with my dog, I would just put my plate next to hers and eat my dinner on the floor. I would find that less embarrassing than what my girls would do at a dining establishment. :ohwell: Plus I find riding in the car with my girls frustrating. They pace around, dirty up my windows and one will try and get on my lap. One of my girls is a racist anyway, barks at all non white people.

My one boxer was like that, any non white persons she would get real nasty :shrug: and go figure, she was BROWN, not white :shrug:

Peepaw95

I like dogs, we have 3. But to be honest I would not want to eat at a place that allowed animals. If I am dining out the last thing I would want to happen is having a pet drop a deuce at the next table over!

Pete

Repete
I like dogs, we have 3. But to be honest I would not want to eat at a place that allowed animals. If I am dining out the last thing I would want to happen is having a pet drop a deuce at the next table over!

Or get into a scrap with the next tables dog over a piece of meat that rolled too far when dropped. Even worse would be when my dog in desperation that his stare down of me isn't working moves on to stare down the person sitting a table away.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
If you want the PC answer, I'd respond by saying that I LOVE sitting next to a table with dogs, and going to places that allows dogs.

If you want the real answer: I don't like it. I hate going in to PetCo, because they allow pets in there (duh! :rolleyes: besides the pets they sell, of course).

I have no idea of the temperament of someone else's dog, so it sorta skeeves me out to see them at a table next to me. If I were to be seated next to a "doggie table", I'd ask to be moved to another table, or simply go someplace else.

Pete

Repete
If you want the PC answer, I'd respond by saying that I LOVE sitting next to a table with dogs, and going to places that allows dogs.

If you want the real answer: I don't like it. I hate going in to PetCo, because they allow pets in there (duh! :rolleyes: besides the pets they sell, of course).

I have no idea of the temperament of someone else's dog, so it sorta skeeves me out to see them at a table next to me. If I were to be seated next to a "doggie table", I'd ask to be moved to another table, or simply go someplace else.

It's only a matter of time before that Yorkie goes all Cujo on you and goes after the Chicken Chesapeake on your plate.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
It's only a matter of time before that Yorkie goes all Cujo on you and goes after the Chicken Chesapeake on your plate.
I just don't want a doggie to try to take my food off of my plate, or look all pathetic and googly-eyed as I eat my food, or try to sniff my crotch.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Not wanting to hijack the another thread, I want to ask pet lovers- and non pet lovers as well (you sorry people- LOL) about taking your dog to establishments with outdoor seating.
If there was a doggy menu available, would you take along Fido or Fifi for some doggie cookies, chicken strips or organic frozen yogurt if it were on the menu?

If you are not a dog lover, would you be offended by people nearby with a doggie sharing space next to you? Preferably, a well behaved doggie!

Last weekend in downtown Annapolis, I realized what a dog friendly place it was. We sat outdoors and had a beer and some snackie food beside two guys with a very sweet and laid back pup. I thought it was cool and petted and loved on the pup. They already had treats to give him after he sat and shook your paw. There was other seating available if you didn't want to be around the dog (a pit bull, BTW)

In Solomons and on the island, I know there are several places you can dine outdoors with your pup- Kingfishers, Boomerangs, Striped Rock and Lotus Kitchen off the top of my head.

Full disclosure, first: I am not a dog person. :jet:

However, I DO like some of my friends' dogs. I have 3 good friends who have dogs that I definitely ADORE. I even interact with them and pet them, etc. I don't generally like OPD and I typically steer way clear of dogs I don't know when I am in the pet stores, or other public places.

Since I've been going to Annapolis with friends the past 4 years or so, I've come to be used to the idea that they are a very dog friendly place. I haven't found any of the dogs particularly bothersome. The dog this past weekend beside out table was very docile and a pleasant poochie -(a pitbull, no less) he not being a nuisance at all. Better than most toddlers I've seen having dinner out. :lmao:

Maybe the dogs down there in Annapolis are just more "well behaved in public" because they are used to it, I don't know. I just know that so far I haven't had to give the owners any stink eye looks when the dog is frisking my leg, or trying to lick me, or having to hop off the sidewalk when passing the pups, etc. I see no reason why a restaurant or two in Solomons couldn't pull it off, as long as they make sure the dog owners are respectful of other patrons. I think it's a little smaller downtown in Solomons than it is in "olde towne" Annapolis, so I'm not sure how many places this would really work at.