Dining at the Tides

Goofing_Off

rdonthehd said:
We didn't have Amber, but now I can not remember the servers name at all. It seems that all the wait staff were trained in the same manner and were specifically hired because of their interest to be the best at the best.
Alison, no... I could pick her out again by face though. 5'7", medium build, 20-something, dirty blonde hair, nice eyes... used to work at Damon's at the bar. Um, that's all I remember now.
Hi there Rdonthehd! I was taking a look at your profile, and saw the link you had for the webpage, and started browsing through it. It looks like you've done all the traveling that I've always wanted to do! How have you found the time to go all these places?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Tonio said:
Good point. I suspect that many of the defense contractors here are embarrassed by the lack of upscale restaurants. I imagine the CEO of Lockheed or Boeing or Booz Allen flying into town to meet with the local management or with one of the PEOs. Don't know if the suits are used to Morton's, but I think they expect better than Applebee's or Damon's. The only other local place that comes to mind is the Daugherty Center.

That's exactly what happens. :yay:

I'm sure the Tides will earn some of that business now.

R

rdonthehd

Goofing_Off said:
Hi there Rdonthehd! I was taking a look at your profile, and saw the link you had for the webpage, and started browsing through it. It looks like you've done all the traveling that I've always wanted to do! How have you found the time to go all these places?
Sendin' a private message your way...

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Club'nBabySeals said:
Totally concur! It's the only place shy of driving up to D.C. where a girl can really primp and preen for an evening of wining and dining. :yay:
Ever tried the Tavern at the Village?:shrug:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Wickedwrench said:
Ever tried the Tavern at the Village?:shrug:

The Tavern at the Village
Wine Dinner
May 29, 2005 at 5:30 PM

Amuse
Tuna Tempura
With Mizuna, Daikon, Seven Pepper Sauce, Wasabi Tobiko Cavair and Wasabi Foam

Spoons
Asian Style Tom Yom Soup
With Galangal, Coconut, Ginger and Tenderloin Shabu’ Shabu’

Starters
Duck and Shitake Mushroom Spring Roll
With Orange Garlic Chili Sauce

Garden
Organic Mixed Greens
With French Aged Goat Cheese, Garlic Crostini, Organic Pear, Roasted Honey Walnuts and Solomon Island Sauvignon Blanc Vinaigrette

Main
Stuffed Aged Sirloin
With Maytag Blue Cheese and Chives, a Red Onion and Red Wine Port Reduction with Twice Baked Blue Cheese and Bacon Potatoes and Roasted Garlic

Or
Poached Seabass en Papillote
With Top Neck Clams in Bouillabaise Sauce with Fingerling Potatoes and Hydroponic Tomatoes-Lemon Orange Vapor

The Grand Finale
Death By Chocolate
Served with Raspberry Coulis and Chocolate Sauce with Chocolate and Peppercorn Foam

58.95 with Wines $45.95 without Wines

When making your reservations, please specify whether or not you will be partaking in the wine tasting.

Phone 301 863 3219 FAX 301 863 2008 Email thetavern@olg.com
For directions to the Tavern, please visit our website - www.thetavernatthevillage.com
Your Executive Chef Ahmed Koroma

mAlice

professional daydreamer
RoseRed said:
I tried some of their wines, as well as the Cove Point wines and wasn't impressed.

They really do make their wine from grape juice, and I found it to be quite nasty.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
The Tavern at the Village
Wine Dinner
May 29, 2005 at 5:30 PM

Are you sure the menu you listed is for Tavern at the Village? It's the same one on the "Wine Dinner" page for the Tides website.

Edit: Nevermind! I checked the site again, and apparently Tavern at the Village and the Tides are doing this jointly.

Last edited:

ohstate

My experience at the Tides -

It tries really hard, too hard, to be upscale and fancy, but doesn't pull it off. The service was formal, but not polished, so you knew they were just not comfortable/familiar with it. The food was complex and ambitious, but the chef couldn't pull it off. It looked pretty on the plate, but the flavors were boring and dull. My lobster salad was a flavorless mush. My husband loved his tuna appetizer (Tuna Tataki) (but those were not shitaki mushrooms as advertised); however but the rest of the meal was quite disappointing . The seafood in Cioppino was overdone and rubbery, and the flavor was bland. The lamb was not well seasoned, with some overdone (actually burnt on the outside, with that nasty ash taste) (ordered medium rare). The au gratin potatoes were dried out. The tiramisu was the worst I have ever had. It was inedible. My husband took one bite (I tried one too) and couldn't eat the rest of it. My chocolate souffle was ok, but not great. I can't say I'd go back. It was just off on so many little notes that it added up to a bad experience. There is much better food in the area (CD Cafe, Dry Dock and Brome Howard). BTW, the ambiance is like a hotel restaurant. Nothing special, although they have a few fancy touches, it just is a big open room with high ceilings that make it noisy. The view of the parking lot and the hotel is nothing to rave about either.

Agee

ohstate said:
It tries really hard, too hard, to be upscale and fancy, but doesn't pull it off. The service was formal, but not polished, so you knew they were just not comfortable/familiar with it. The food was complex and ambitious, but the chef couldn't pull it off. It looked pretty on the plate, but the flavors were boring and dull. My lobster salad was a flavorless mush. My husband loved his tuna appetizer (Tuna Tataki) (but those were not shitaki mushrooms as advertised); however but the rest of the meal was quite disappointing . The seafood in Cioppino was overdone and rubbery, and the flavor was bland. The lamb was not well seasoned, with some overdone (actually burnt on the outside, with that nasty ash taste) (ordered medium rare). The au gratin potatoes were dried out. The tiramisu was the worst I have ever had. It was inedible. My husband took one bite (I tried one too) and couldn't eat the rest of it. My chocolate souffle was ok, but not great. I can't say I'd go back. It was just off on so many little notes that it added up to a bad experience. There is much better food in the area (CD Cafe, Dry Dock and Brome Howard). BTW, the ambiance is like a hotel restaurant. Nothing special, although they have a few fancy touches, it just is a big open room with high ceilings that make it noisy. The view of the parking lot and the hotel is nothing to rave about either.
Sorry to hear of your experience. Maybe the kitchen staff was having an off night.

Personally, if I have a less than stellar experience at a restaurant after the first visit, I try and visit one more time. The second visit normally changes my impressions, or validates the bad experience of the first visit.

ohstate

Airgasm said:
Sorry to hear of your experience. Maybe the kitchen staff was having an off night.

Personally, if I have a less than stellar experience at a restaurant after the first visit, I try and visit one more time. The second visit normally changes my impressions, or validates the bad experience of the first visit.

True, but isn't this the chef that used to be at Wildewood? Never like his cooking there either. I always wondered if it was that he was cooking for a crowd (office lunches/wine dinners), but this experience backs up what I've always thought about his cooking. He just can't pull off the ambitious menu he sets up for himself. If I did go back, I would stick to something simple, rather than one of his ambitious "creations".