Direct TV vs. GiMP

duzzey

I live in Hickory Hills, and the homeowners assoc. there says that they do not allow directtv dishes to be installed on the property. My only alternative is GMP cable. From what I here the cable tv in this area sucks and is expensive. I know that the FCC has issued a statement concerning this. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by duzzey
I live in Hickory Hills, and the homeowners assoc. there says that they do not allow directtv dishes to be installed on the property. My only alternative is GMP cable. From what I here the cable tv in this area sucks and is expensive. I know that the FCC has issued a statement concerning this. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Thanks

Here's what you're going to see.

I like GMP Cable.

Everyone else here hates it with a red-hot passion that seethes with emotion and foam-flecked vitriol.

I, of course, am the level-headed one, and in this case, correct.

Everyone else are hot-headed raving lunatics. So take what they say with several grains of salt.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades

??? I have a dish installed, do you mean on the townhouses or the rentals? Try installing on a 2x4 on the side of the house...

duzzey

I'm not really referring to the services themselves, its just that I'm not getting a choice in the matter. If I have to pay for something expensive, can I at least choose? I would attempt to install the dish indoors, but it would take considerable time and effort. Has anybody ran into the same situation?

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Duzzey, check my link. Or check the related link: http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

The FCC says a HOA cannot prevent you from putting up a sat dish, just like they can't stop you from putting up an OTA antenna on your roof. Give your HOA the FCC ruling and let them know how you feel.

duzzey

Im' just wanting to know if anybody has had luck going against the HOA. Its like im going to be a digital rebel angainst the analog federation!

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
Again, I don't remember reading in the HOA that it's against policy to install dishes... If you are in a rental, townhouse, or a condo complex, they can make the rule that you can't install dishes on the building. However, if you have a south facing unit, you can get a painters bucket and drop a 2x4 with concrete into it for a ballast and install the dish on the 2x4.

Again, you need to clarify if it's a single family home, townhouse, condo, or one of the rentals.

Danzig

Who do I call if my town, community association or landlord is enforcing an invalid restriction?

A: Call the Federal Communications Commission at (888) CALLFCC (888-225-5322), which is a toll-free number, or 202-418-7096, which is not toll-free. Some assistance may also be available from the direct broadcast satellite company, multichannel multipoint distribution service, television broadcast station, or fixed wireless company whose service is desired.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I'm happy with GMP as well. We can't do dish, since I'm a TVaholic, and have 7 tv's throughout the house. It would cost me a fortune in rental fees if I went with dish network. We have GMP digital cable in our living room, and expanded basic throughout the rest of the house, and anytime I want another tv hooked up, we just run another cable. :yay:

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
I think you are going to be out of luck, except for placing the dish on the balcony or maybe on a stake next to the building as the exterior of the buildings are common use.

In addition, the rule does not apply to common areas that are owned by a landlord, a community association, or jointly by condominium or cooperative owners. Such common areas may include the roof or exterior wall of a multiple dwelling unit. Therefore, restrictions on antennas installed in or on such common areas are enforceable.

Elle

Happy Camper!
Originally posted by kwillia
Anyone here currently using GMP get the long promised upgrade yet...:confused: We were told we are scheduled for July of this year. I'm curious to know if it upgrade is noticable.

We've had the new channels for a few months now, is that the upgrade you are talking about? I am happy with GMP, we are not glued to the TV 24/7 so for us they provide more than enough channels.

duzzey

I'm in a rental townhouse, and I face the southern skies. I did some research and I should be able to hit the bird from my unit. I also have a small patch of gravel and grass in front of my unit which doesn't appear to be a "common area". I have noticed that other folks have bbq equipment, which is not a "permanent" fixture. I say this because if I installed a dish on my patch of the world, it wouldn't be permanent either. In addition it wouldn't even require a pole, just a small stake.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
BTW, you never want to install the dish on the roof as it will invalidate the roof warranty. Install them on the eaves.

SuperGrover

jack of all trades
I'm in a rental townhouse, and I face the southern skies. I did some research and I should be able to hit the bird from my unit. I also have a small patch of gravel and grass in front of my unit which doesn't appear to be a "common area". I have noticed that other folks have bbq equipment, which is not a "permanent" fixture. I say this because if I installed a dish on my patch of the world, it wouldn't be permanent either. In addition it wouldn't even require a pole, just a small stake.

Sounds like an exclusive use area... just don't attach the dish to the building and you should be golden!

CMC122

Go Braves!
Originally posted by kwillia
Anyone here currently using GMP get the long promised upgrade yet...:confused: We were told we are scheduled for July of this year. I'm curious to know if it upgrade is noticable.

It's very noticeable!! It's much better! I didn't think we'd really notice but we did.