DirecTV at it again....

MiddleGround

Those who still have DirecTV you can expect a 5% increase in your bill. Part of the yearly increase to create attrition since AT&T bought them out.

imaref

I was with Directv since Dec. 1996. I dropped them like a rock in December after my $40 a month discount ended, and they offered no discount at all for the coming year. They made no effort whatsoever to keep a 23 year customer.

I replaced them with YoutubeTV. Went from what would have been $161 per month (no discount) to $49.99. I miss the History Channel and A&E but I can live without them for the savings. Very pleased with YoutubeTV, especially with how the DVR works and the 3 simultanous streams.

I think Directv (unfortunately) will be gone within 5 years. DISH will be cheap enough for rural customers. The rest will tell AT&T to pound sand.

SamSpade

I was with Directv since Dec. 1996. I dropped them like a rock in December after my $40 a month discount ended, and they offered no discount at all for the coming year. They made no effort whatsoever to keep a 23 year customer.

I replaced them with YoutubeTV. Went from what would have been $161 per month (no discount) to $49.99. I miss the History Channel and A&E but I can live without them for the savings. Very pleased with YoutubeTV, especially with how the DVR works and the 3 simultanous streams.

I think Directv (unfortunately) will be gone within 5 years. DISH will be cheap enough for rural customers. The rest will tell AT&T to pound sand.

What was your opinion of YouTubeTV? I had it for two months, and wasn't impressed - at least, with the interface and how responsive - or non-responsive - it was. I think I'd have liked it even more if the menu just scrolled continually.

imaref

We are enjoying YoutubeTV. It does take a bit to get used to it but so far so good. The one thing I like the most is the unlimited DVR. It basically works like this:

1. You search for your show or movie, then click on it
  2. You click on "add to library"
  3. EVERY time that show/movie is on, no matter what channel, it gets recorded and sorted by episode and season. All recordings last for 9 months.
  4. The recording is actually done ONCE by YoutubeTV so anyone who chose to DVR the show/movie like you did watches the same recording
  5. If you choose to DVR a category, such as "NCAA College Basketball", it records every single college basketball game that ever shows on any channel

We already have hundreds of shows and movies recorded so there is always something to watch (and can skip through commercials quickly). Even though the recordings only last for 9 months it doesn't matter because if the same episode of that show/movie airs again in the next 9 months, it gets re-recorded so the 9 month clock starts over again. We tend to record absolutely everything so we can skip the commercials. Even with sports we wait until an hour after the game starts, then watch the recording from the beginning so we can skip the commercials.

Besides missing a couple of channels, it has been flawless. For cordcutters who are sports fans, it's a really good option. For those who couldn't care a whiff about sports, I would recommend Locast (for free local DC regular networks) and PhiloTV (similar to YoutubeTV but has NO sports channels and NO regular networks (ABC, CBS, etc.)). Locast does NOT have DVR capability, but Philo does.