Discrimination at Navy Federal Credit Union?

angelbaby

Muslim Woman's Head Scarf Raises Concern At Bank

CALIFORNIA, Md. -- A Muslim woman said employees at a Maryland credit union asked to serve her in a back room because her head scarf violated the institution's "no hats, hoods or sunglasses" policy.

Kenza Shelley, of Lexington Park, said in the 10 years she has used the Navy Federal Credit Union in the California area of St. Mary's County, no one complained about her scarf, which covers her hair, until February.

Shelley said she complied the first time, but demanded Saturday to be served like everyone else and left.

She told The Washington Post that she called the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

"There was so many people there, and I was embarrassed," she told the newspaper.

A Navy Federal security official defended the policy, saying there was a significant increase in bank robberies last year and that the policy was designed to prevent armed robbery and identity theft.

The policy was implemented in December.

"We want to be able to clearly identify who you are and make sure the transaction is safe," Tom Lyons, senior vice president for security at Navy Federal, told The Post.

"This is a policy that applies to everybody in the branch. She wasn't singled out. . . . We tried to accommodate her and help her with her transaction and move on."

One Muslim advocate told The Post he was concerned that it could happen at banks nationwide.
"There's got to be a way to work it out so that this security concern does not lead to violations of constitutional rights," said Ibrahim Hooper, a spokesman for the Washington-based Council on American-Islamic Relations.

I just saw this on the local news. Looks like a lawsuit.

wubbles

I know this lady and she is very sweet. To see her get this upset over something and bring it to the media makes me think there's a little more to the story than we're getting to see.

Tomcat

Anytime
Not just the Credit Union, almost every bank now has a sign on the door or somewhere to remove hats, hoods(hoodies), sunglasses bla, bla, bla. If you want to do business there, do as they request. Sounds like they told her about it before, why is she making an issue of it now????

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Not just the Credit Union, almost every bank now has a sign on the door or somewhere to remove hats, hoods(hoodies), sunglasses bla, bla, bla. If you want to do business there, do as they request. Sounds like they told her about it before, why is she making an issue of it now????

The last few times I was there, they were passing out cards regarding the new policy at the entrance and have a clearly marked signs on the doors.

terbear1225

When anyone joins they should be made clear of the rules. If they don't like them they can bank elsewhere.

I absolutely agree with you.

If the policy is NO hats, head coverings, etc. then fine', it's not discrimintion to ask everyone to abide by the policy. I only mention it because someone else made the distinction between a baseball hat and a head scarf due to religious beliefs. I'm wondering if that person would allow a jewish man to wear a yamoucka or if their exception is only for head scarves?

nomoney

I absolutely agree with you.

If the policy is NO hats, head coverings, etc. then fine', it's not discrimintion to ask everyone to abide by the policy. I only mention it because someone else made the distinction between a baseball hat and a head scarf due to religious beliefs. I'm wondering if that person would allow a jewish man to wear a yamoucka or if their exception is only for head scarves?

it's for anything that covers and hides descriptive factors. (i.e. color of hair, facial features)

Toxick

Splat
would a man wearing a yamoucka be required to remove it?

You can't hide a block of C-4 under a yarmaluke.

Having said that, I think all this business with not being able to wear various garb into stores is paranoid insanity. I can understand ski-masks and bourkas and things like that, but a head-scarf? A hat? C'mon. Use your ####ing brains.

And, having said that... I don't think it's considered discrimination if you're demanding the same conformity from an individual (of any religious or ethnic base) that you demand from everyone else.

Plus, if they'd let tellers pack heat, none of this would be an issue.

Last edited:

Dye Tied

Garden Variety Gnome
I went in there in February with an eye infection and dilated pupil which was very sensitive to light. I was asked to remove my sunglasses. I showed them my eye and put the glasses back on. No one made a stink about my wearing them.

If I had to take them off I would have and just closed my eye, no biggie.