Dish Network

Legacy

Thinking of cancelling my Direct TV subscription and switching to Dish TV. Anyone have any experience, good or bad, with Dish TV? Would appreciate your comments, especially as it pertains to picture quality.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Had Dish for years and years, but the costs kept rising to a point where it was unrealistic for the subscription, most of which I didn't even watch. Finally ditched it for a rooftop antenna.

When I did have it, the quality was very good, only lost the signal when a really bad t-storm moved in from the southwest. But it's now been at least 15 years since I cancelled it.

Legacy

Had Dish for years and years, but the costs kept rising to a point where it was unrealistic for the subscription, most of which I didn't even watch. Finally ditched it for a rooftop antenna.

When I did have it, the quality was very good, only lost the signal when a really bad t-storm moved in from the southwest. But it's now been at least 15 years since I cancelled it.
Thanks much for the feedback

OccamsRazor

All of these services have the same schtick. They get you to sign up with "introductory offers" then jack the price up when you become a "loyal customer."
No getting around it. Even the streaming services are getting on the bandwagon.

SamSpade

All of these services have the same schtick. They get you to sign up with "introductory offers" then jack the price up when you become a "loyal customer."
No getting around it. Even the streaming services are getting on the bandwagon.
The problem that some of these have is - you already have a "sunk" cost. Cost of the dish and installation. You can't EASILY say, fine, screw you, I'll go with someone else, because you now have a bunch of equipment you paid for that is useless.

I can always re-negotiate with my cell provider or SiriusXM - because I *can* go with someone else.

SamSpade

I ditched cable altogether and got a Roku stick and YouTubeTV. No complaints.
We have a lot of streaming - but I don't think I can yet get everyone on board with that.

I tried YouTube TV some years back, but I was annoyed with the latency of the live interface. Is it different now?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
We have a lot of streaming - but I don't think I can yet get everyone on board with that.

I tried YouTube TV some years back, but I was annoyed with the latency of the live interface. Is it different now?
Very occasionally there is some, but it usually clears up pretty quickly. I really like the DVR feature and tape shows all the time. When I watch at my convenience, I FF through all the commercials.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The problem that some of these have is - you already have a "sunk" cost. Cost of the dish and installation.
Yes and no. When I first subscribed, I paid about $150 for the hardware and installed it myself. However, as time went on, Dish had many promotions and provided the hardware free with a contract. That kind of pissed me off because my receiver had died and Dish would not replace it or offer me a similar package. A new receiver would have cost me over $300. That's when I cancelled the service.

SamSpade

Very occasionally there is some, but it usually clears up pretty quickly. I really like the DVR feature and tape shows all the time. When I watch at my convenience, I FF through all the commercials.

Maybe I'll reconsider. I managed to negotiate a decent deal during the pandemic wher they were trying to screw us - and one salesperson tried to sell me something that a rep said he shouldn't have.

MAIN thing is still - I've got way too many TVs in the house, and I am pretty sure almost half get very little use.

Clem72

The problem that some of these have is - you already have a "sunk" cost. Cost of the dish and installation. You can't EASILY say, fine, screw you, I'll go with someone else, because you now have a bunch of equipment you paid for that is useless.

I can always re-negotiate with my cell provider or SiriusXM - because I *can* go with someone else.
They will typically give you a new dish (And most often you can use the same mount). Same deal with the receivers. I don't really see that as an impediment as much as not wanting to pay hundreds a month. Of course now basic internet costs more than cable+internet did 20 years ago so they still got me.

Legacy

Thanks everyone for the comments. If I go forward with Dish the equipment won't be purchased. Only equipment fees are monthly charges for hardware like table top boxes/DVR. For service from Dish that is comparable to what I currently have with Direct TV the monthly fee looks to be about $40 less.

Did look briefly into streaming (YouTube TV) but to get the same programing I currently have (various channels plus HBO, Showtime, etc.) the overall cost wasn't that much different than satellite service. Not a real fan of streaming or storing recorded shows in the cloud, with limits on how long they can be stored.

SamSpade

Thanks everyone for the comments. If I go forward with Dish the equipment won't be purchased. Only equipment fees are monthly charges for hardware like table top boxes/DVR. For service from Dish that is comparable to what I currently have with Direct TV the monthly fee looks to be about $40 less.

Did look briefly into streaming (YouTube TV) but to get the same programing I currently have (various channels plus HBO, Showtime, etc.) the overall cost wasn't that much different than satellite service. Not a real fan of streaming or storing recorded shows in the cloud, with limits on how long they can be stored.

The big hurdle we face is, we need the damned telephony. Cell reception for reasons I cannot get at all - for where we live - is atrocious. You mostly can't use it at all in our house. Repair crew and delivery guys have to walk out to the street to get anything.

On top of THAT - we're paying for three DVRs and about 3 or 4 of the little cable boxes.

I don't pay for any premium channels, but they give us Showtime and Movie Channel for nothing. Not that it matters, they NEVER have anything I want to watch.

SandieGarry

Wow, I'm in the minority, I guess. We had Dish installed 2010. On ly complaint was the way they ran the wire. Had new siding put on the house and I ran the wire the way I wanted. As doe service, have liked everything so far, except related outrages. We moved away in 2019 and moved back in 2021. Same house never sold it. When we contacted Dish about becoming a customer again, they gave us new and updated equipment. Seriously, no complaints.

Legacy

Wow, I'm in the minority, I guess. We had Dish installed 2010. On ly complaint was the way they ran the wire. Had new siding put on the house and I ran the wire the way I wanted. As doe service, have liked everything so far, except related outrages. We moved away in 2019 and moved back in 2021. Same house never sold it. When we contacted Dish about becoming a customer again, they gave us new and updated equipment. Seriously, no complaints.
Thanks for the feedback. Helpful info for me to make final decision. Are you satisfied with the picture quality and the number of HD channels?

SandieGarry

Absolutely. A lot of the picture quality depends on the tv itself. We have 2 newer tv's and the picture is awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to have Dish.

Legacy

Absolutely. A lot of the picture quality depends on the tv itself. We have 2 newer tv's and the picture is awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to have Dish.
Thanks much for the response. I've read in the past Dish picture quality wasn't that great so good to hear things have improved.

SandieGarry

Our roof dish is the original one from 2010. Wiring is the same. The tv's are 2012 (didn't realize it was that old) and 2019, if that matters

PJay

Another thing I liked about Dish (canceled a few months ago) you can understand customer service peeps when they speak.

PJay

Oh, and I like their remote..lights up! If you decide to go with Dish be sure to buy the rubber covers, they come in different colors. They cost extra but worth it.