Dish Removal from roof - looking to pay someone

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I have a dish on the peak of my roof from DTV I want to have removed. Does anyone know of a local handy person who will do this for a fee?

Thanks

Clem72

Is this an issue because you don't have a ladder? You don't need much in the way of special materials; if they bolted it through an eve then just unbolt it. If they screwed into the roof unscrew it (and if you are particularly worried, fill the holes with caulk).

PeoplesElbow

I recommend not taking off the bracket that screws into the roof, you can take the pipe and dish out and leave the bracket. This will make sure if your roof doesn't leak now that it will continue not leaking.

I had to take out either one or two bolts and the whole thing came out, tossed it off the roof. Getting my ladder out of the shed took more time than anything.

Clem72

I recommend not taking off the bracket that screws into the roof, you can take the pipe and dish out and leave the bracket. This will make sure if your roof doesn't leak now that it will continue not leaking.

I had to take out either one or two bolts and the whole thing came out, tossed it off the roof. Getting my ladder out of the shed took more time than anything.

There is that. Make it easier in case you (or the next person) ever wants to put it back. For my rental property I actually have both Dish and DirecTV dishes installed and wired from distribution splitters in the crawlspace through inner walls to basically every living space in the house so the tenant can take their pick (and more importantly so some teenage no experience installer doesn't wantonly drill holes in my roof and through the outside of my house to run cables).

Dakota

~~~~~~~
We have the ladder and I know the brackets should stay but too chicken #### to climb 33 feet to do it. :ohwell:

Dakota

~~~~~~~
Is this an issue because you don't have a ladder? You don't need much in the way of special materials; if they bolted it through an eve then just unbolt it. If they screwed into the roof unscrew it (and if you are particularly worried, fill the holes with caulk).

okay - this might be dooable but I am worried that it might be better to just leave the bracket and not depend on caulk to keep the rain out.

Clem72

okay - this might be dooable but I am worried that it might be better to just leave the bracket and not depend on caulk to keep the rain out.

It's probably better to leave the bracket in place if you don't consider it an eyesore. But I wouldn't worry too much about leaks, even without caulk the screws should be small enough that the expansion of the wood and the roof tiles after removal should prevent water penetration. Some roofing caulk would just be extra insurance.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Don't trust caulk, its just a band aid and eventually all band aids come off

You've never gotten asphalt roofing tar on your hands, have you? A little bit of Black Jack from a caulk gun will probably out live the shingles.

PeoplesElbow

You've never gotten asphalt roofing tar on your hands, have you? A little bit of Black Jack from a caulk gun will probably out live the shingles.

Oh yea, when repairing my shed roof I thought I could do it in my good work shirt..

I also laid a patch of roofing paper and new shingles over the hole from the tree branch taht went through it.

SamSpade

One of my dish antennas was removed -

By a storm.

Took about a square foot of roof WITH it.

The other leaked like a sieve during the hurricane that year.

BernieP

Resident PIA
One of my dish antennas was removed -

By a storm.

Took about a square foot of roof WITH it.

The other leaked like a sieve during the hurricane that year.
The installers just drop them on the roof and throw a few lag bolts in.
I had to have mine reinstalled after a bad storm damaged the roof, Carlton screwed them into the rafter, not the sheathing
That antenna is not moving. Doing it that way also reduces motion during high winds.

Clem72

The installers just drop them on the roof and throw a few lag bolts in.
I had to have mine reinstalled after a bad storm damaged the roof, Carlton screwed them into the rafter, not the sheathing
That antenna is not moving. Doing it that way also reduces motion during high winds.

If I ever go back to Dish/DirecTV (which seems unlikely given streaming options) and I cannot use a pole-mounted setup, I might be tempted to stick the dish in a tree with a camo fabric dish cover which will also prevent snow/debris accumulation and close foliage from blocking the signal.

officeguy

If I ever go back to Dish/DirecTV (which seems unlikely given streaming options) and I cannot use a pole-mounted setup, I might be tempted to stick the dish in a tree with a camo fabric dish cover which will also prevent snow/debris accumulation and close foliage from blocking the signal.

It'll also sway in the wind with the tree and lose signal. Do a tree mount if you absolutely have to (e.g. only shot of the sat due to a hill).

Wrkn4livn

So sure chaulk the holes or u will end up with water damage!

Dakota

~~~~~~~
I used DTV for 15 years. After ATT took over, service went to s@@t

Yep - awful - the dish is gone. We left the brackets because we are about 60 months from replacing our entire roof. After hearing this wind today, I'm glad it is done.

officeguy

So sure chaulk the holes or u will end up with water damage!

And dont just caulk the hole. If your roof is in good shape, replace the tile with the hole. If it is already brittle, make a patch and glue it on top of the hole with large amounts of the gooey roofing caulk.

PeoplesElbow

And dont just caulk the hole. If your roof is in good shape, replace the tile with the hole. If it is already brittle, make a patch and glue it on top of the hole with large amounts of the gooey roofing caulk.

Yea that, the goo is sticky as hell and holds up good but it isn't much of a gap filler.