Dishonest 5 Guys cashiers

black dog

Free America
How many people carry cash? I think cash is king, but I can't tell you the last time I saw someone pay cash in a fast food place. Doesn't everyone live on credit?

I'm a cash person also, debit is very popular out here, even for purchasing a candy bar.

littlelady

God bless the USA
We rarely eat out, and when we have, have never seen this type of receipt adjustment. I do have to say the one time we ate at 5Guys in Calvert, a long time ago, the paper bag with the fries was so dripping with grease, we never went back.

How many people carry cash? I think cash is king, but I can't tell you the last time I saw someone pay cash in a fast food place. Doesn't everyone live on credit?

I use cash for small purchases and fast food. I also tip in cash rather than put it on a card.

Starman

I use cash for small purchases and fast food. I also tip in cash rather than put it on a card.

I always liked the idea of tipping in cash, but there's another scam that can be run with credit cards, where someone might add a few cents to your tip, thus charging you more than you intended to pay. When you scan your credit card bill, no one remembers if they paid $62.43 for that meal or $62.93. But adding the tip to the card, rounding up to the nearest even number, makes it easy to spot when scanning your bill.

I only tip barkeeps in cash anymore.

dave1959

We rarely eat out, and when we have, have never seen this type of receipt adjustment. I do have to say the one time we ate at 5Guys in Calvert, a long time ago, the paper bag with the fries was so dripping with grease, we never went back.

LOL.. That's whole point of going to 5guys..

glhs837

Power with Control

LOL.. That's whole point of going to 5guys..

That was going to be my point, that greasy bag is a feature, not a bug :)

I generally use cash, but ocassionally use debit for fast food, but always tip in cash.

Yes, and I make a point to write CASH in the tip line, just in case an unsavory server decides to help themselves to more.

Not a bad idea. I usually just strike-through the tip line so nothing can be added without it being obvious.

BernieP

Resident PIA
One of the more common scams (before the digital readout) was for the cashier to round up the tax and collect an extra penny on each transaction.
May not sound like much, but if you are running a coffee shop in a downtown area, it adds up quick.
How do I know this you ask; I acquired some inside knowledge of how one such coffee shop owner was dumb enough to do this when a good number of his patrons worked for the Treasury Department of a state government. He literally robbed the cops - the duffass.
It's harder to pull this off now with the POS equipment automatically updating the backoffice files.

PeoplesElbow

One of the more common scams (before the digital readout) was for the cashier to round up the tax and collect an extra penny on each transaction.
May not sound like much, but if you are running a coffee shop in a downtown area, it adds up quick.
How do I know this you ask; I acquired some inside knowledge of how one such coffee shop owner was dumb enough to do this when a good number of his patrons worked for the Treasury Department of a state government. He literally robbed the cops - the duffass.
It's harder to pull this off now with the POS equipment automatically updating the backoffice files.

That is pretty stupid when you consider than raising their prices by one penny would have the same result and i doubt anyone would care about that extra penny on the cost.

wubbles

That seems ridiculous. That does not add up quickly at all. 1000 customers for 10 bucks? Give me a break.

BernieP

Resident PIA
That seems ridiculous. That does not add up quickly at all. 1000 customers for 10 bucks? Give me a break.
or more a day. The thing was they weren't ripping people off for very much, so little it wasn't noticed by most. That is the idea, slow but steady. This was also the 70's

vince77

you'd have to ring up 125 customers an hour for 8 hours to reach 1,000 customers a day =$10.00. That's more than 2 customers a minute .....lol absurd.