Dislocated jaw?

buddscreekman

Had a couple wisdom teeth removed yesterday and after having gauze clamped down on for a couple hours had to change it. Promptly realized I couldnt open my mouth. After kind of forcing it I had to do this over and over about ten times it locked up. Each time it felt like after a pretty hard effort something popped back in place. But then it made a pretty horrible sound like a drawn out out crack. Now,I can talk and eat but its sore as hell. Opposite side from the extraction. I do have TMJ,but does this sound like just soreness? In other words would I know if I had broken it or not put in back in place properly. Didnt call the office since Im not entirely easy to understand speaking yet.

Caution

Had a couple wisdom teeth removed yesterday and after having gauze clamped down on for a couple hours had to change it. Promptly realized I couldnt open my mouth. After kind of forcing it I had to do this over and over about ten times it locked up. Each time it felt like after a pretty hard effort something popped back in place. But then it made a pretty horrible sound like a drawn out out crack. Now,I can talk and eat but its sore as hell. Opposite side from the extraction. I do have TMJ,but does this sound like just soreness? In other words would I know if I had broken it or not put in back in place properly. Didnt call the office since Im not entirely easy to understand speaking yet.

I dunno what it Could be but I had all four of mine pulled at the same time. And am brain farting on what TMJ is. But I only had general soreness. No noises or popping.

GregV814

My sister in law had the EXACT thing happen to her...finally after several x-rays the doctor told her what happened and said its NOT uncommon...finally, that dentist/maxofacial guy fessed up, but didnt compensate her...she was in pain for about a month or two...

Roman

As said by Greg, it is not uncommon. Your mouth was open quite a long time to have the teeth pulled. Plus the fact that you have TMJ. Apply ice packs to that area too, and ask your Oral Surgeon to call in some anti-inflamitory like Motrin if you aren't allergic, or have asthma. There is a small disc between the upper, and lower jaw. It's like a pad. Having your mouth open for the surgery caused it to slip out of place, but it sounds like you got it back in there.

PJumper

Locked-jaw after tooth extraction could be a sign of sepsis (infection). Go back to your dentist or to medical clinic and have them check it out.

MarieB

I would call and have it checked out. They could give you a muscle relaxer too.

Unfortunately you obviously can't use my usual trick - pressing down on the joint in the back of your mouth with a pencil eraser

And yet another reason I'm scared to death of having mine removed

Caution

I would call and have it checked out. They could give you a muscle relaxer too. Unfortunately you obviously can't use my usual trick - pressing down on the joint in the back of your mouth with a pencil eraser And yet another reason I'm scared to death of having mine removed

Ya they were right rough with me. Local anesthetic at each of the four teeth then start yanking. Gave me ibuprofen and packs of salt. Then told me to just eat soup for a few days.

LOL I remember the guy had to lean up against me to keep from pulling me up and out of the chair.

I was a hurting puppy and told them as I was leaving that I could have done that much myself.