Disposing of a car with no title

rmorse

So, I'm about to buy a car with no title. Once I get my hands on it, the car will never run again (choppy choppy). I'm buying it to do a manual swap on my car, as well as strip the car and grab all the goodies I can. After I do this, I need to dispose of it. No junkyard will take it without a title (because of some new rule imposed Oct 1). Any suggestions? I really don't feel like taking a sawzall and a grinder to it and throwing it away very slowly, but I will if I have to.

Btw, yea, I'm planning on making sure the car isn't hot before buying it. I'm going to call the VIN into the cops first. Any other suggestions besides that?

Thanks!!!

Sparx

You most likely ARE in Southern MD. Why not put it on blocks in the yard? You can even decorate it on holidays.

rmorse

You most likely ARE in Southern MD. Why not put it on blocks in the yard? You can even decorate it on holidays.

I'm in a townhouse, with only two parking spots. :-( I'm doing the best I can to embrace the southern maryland culture, and will be removing the transmission and stripping the car while it's in the parking spot on front of my house.

I will also be drinking 10oz budweisers while doing this.

Sula

WDF. So worth the wait.
If you are just doing a manual swap and the rest of the car is somewhat intact then perhaps see if you can unload the car on someone else who may need parts and then the next person can deal with it. Not passing the buck but being you are in a townhouse, I don't see your neighbors being to keen on a shell sitting in a parking spot for too long. Am sure there are scrap people that would take it off your hands and deal with disposal with no title. Getting a clean registration report from the law might help too. Good luck.

Why not stop in to one of the Quick title places and see what it would take to title it? I think it's $20 or so, not including the Quick title fees. Once you have a title, no issues.

And rather than turn it over to a junkyard, sell it as scrap metal to a salvage place, like on Rt 4. It would be worth more as scrap metal. EDIT: didn't see your suggestion Vrai... :yay:

Last edited:

rmorse

If you are just doing a manual swap and the rest of the car is somewhat intact then perhaps see if you can unload the car on someone else who may need parts and then the next person can deal with it. Not passing the buck but being you are in a townhouse, I don't see your neighbors being to keen on a shell sitting in a parking spot for too long. Am sure there are scrap people that would take it off your hands and deal with disposal with no title. Getting a clean registration report from the law might help too. Good luck.

I was being facetious about doing it out front. Most likely, I'll do it at the hobby shop on base (might not be possible without a title) or at my parents house.
Thanks for the tips though. I'm thinking about unloading it to someone else as well, but outside of the MT, it's not a desirable car.

luvmygdaughters

You can get a salvage title. Have the DMV to a title search, to make sure no liens are on the vehicle. Then apply for a salvage title. Btw, how are you purchasing it with no title?

rmorse

You can get a salvage title. Have the DMV to a title search, to make sure no liens are on the vehicle. Then apply for a salvage title. Btw, how are you purchasing it with no title?

Very carefully.....

It's on craigslist, giving the dude cash. Shady, but as long as the VIN checks out, I'm good.

kickstand

De omnibus dubitandum est
Harris Scrap metal will give you cash for it. I'd call them about the lack of title though. (301) 690-2093

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I've routinely bought for parts and then scrapped vehicles without titles..lots of them.

Sounds like these new restrictions will cause problems for some but lately we've been cutting up whatever remained and hauling the pieces directly to the recyclers instead of having a salvage yard come haul away an intact carcass.

calvcopf

Why not stop in to one of the Quick title places and see what it would take to title it? I think it's $20 or so, not including the Quick title fees. Once you have a title, no issues.

And rather than turn it over to a junkyard, sell it as scrap metal to a salvage place, like on Rt 4. It would be worth more as scrap metal. EDIT: didn't see your suggestion Vrai... :yay:

Title fee is now $100 +
Thanks O'Malley...

http://www.mva.maryland.gov/Resources/VR-453.pdf

Affidavit of Ownership for Transfer of a Vehicle to an Automotive Dismantler and Recycler or Scrap Processor (form # VR-453) is used by a vehicle owner, or their agent, to certify, under oath that a title is not available when transferring the vehicle to an AD&R or Scrap Processor for dismantling, destroying or scrapping.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Excellent..thanks for that link. As eager as MD is to make unregistered vehicles "disappear", and even regular junkyards disappear for that matter, I figured they had to provide a way to dispose of the junk legally.

Excellent..thanks for that link. As eager as MD is to make unregistered vehicles "disappear", and even regular junkyards disappear for that matter, I figured they had to provide a way to dispose of the junk legally.
No problem. I was looking up the rules and fees on "Historic" tags and saw this form. 4 more years and my Suburban will qualify for historic tags (and $51.00 registration instead of $180). 11/11/2016