Dive the Keys...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...Conch Republic dive shop. This last week.

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007

I like them.

I can't count how many different fish I saw. Did Molasses reef and one other I can't remember but there was a fish it was named for that just sat there in giant schools, just sitting there. It was amazing. Saw a bunch of nurse shark, one bigger than me. Tons of 'cuda's, 2-4'. A Moray, two large rays, a skate...I can't even remember!!!

I started drifting into a barracuda, him into me, got to about 6 feet and I started back peddling. :lmao:

Good people.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I miss living in the keys..we had a Barracuda that was about 5 foot long that lived in our canal..I swam with him daily..Along with a large Morey eel...We called the Barracuda "Scarface" as he had a huge scar on his back..

Not trying to steal your thread, but I have a story that still amuses me.

Back in the late 70s, some friends and I went to the Keys for a diving vacation. We rented a boat and headed out to one of the Texas Towers, not even sure what key we were on. Got to our spot, threw the anchor over and dove in. Down for a couple of minutes, found an outboard prop. We looked at each other , "YAY!!! OUR FIRST FIND IN FLORIDA!! HOW NEAT IS........"....... and we all looked up at the same time to discover it was the prop off our boat. Aw nutz. No radio, out about 6 miles, no one else in sight. Jury rigged it back together and made it back to the dock.

Turns out we were in the Bermuda Triangle....

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's...

Back in the late 70s, some friends and I went to the Keys for a diving vacation. We rented a boat and headed out to one of the Texas Towers, not even sure what key we were on. Got to our spot, threw the anchor over and dove in. Down for a couple of minutes, found an outboard prop. We looked at each other , "YAY!!! OUR FIRST FIND IN FLORIDA!! HOW NEAT IS........"....... and we all looked up at the same time to discover it was the prop off our boat. Aw nutz. No radio, out about 6 miles, no one else in sight. Jury rigged it back together and made it back to the dock.

...funny!

:jameo: :lmao:

:lmao:

...Conch Republic dive shop. This last week.

CONCH REPUBLIC DIVERS VOTED #1 DIVE SHOP IN FLORIDA KEYS..2006 & 2007

I like them.

I can't count how many different fish I saw. Did Molasses reef and one other I can't remember but there was a fish it was named for that just sat there in giant schools, just sitting there. It was amazing. Saw a bunch of nurse shark, one bigger than me. Tons of 'cuda's, 2-4'. A Moray, two large rays, a skate...I can't even remember!!!

I started drifting into a barracuda, him into me, got to about 6 feet and I started back peddling. :lmao:

Good people.

Sounds cool!

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Everyone...

I miss living in the keys..we had a Barracuda that was about 5 foot long that lived in our canal..I swam with him daily..Along with a large Morey eel...We called the Barracuda "Scarface" as he had a huge scar on his back..

...on the boat (3 out of 8 Canucks, btw) said "oh, barracuda's won't bother you!".

Not going to find out. :jameo:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yup!

See any lobsters? I really wanted to try catching some, but never got around to it.

Thanks for reminding me. My breathing control is so-so (only my second and third dives) so I tend to be high most of the time to avoid damaging stuff, but one of the other divers found one down in a hole and I got head down and saw him. VERY COOL!!!

...on the boat (3 out of 8 Canucks, btw) said "oh, barracuda's won't bother you!".

Not going to find out. :jameo:

This one was about half the distance as in this picture by the time I looked up from the camera. I think he was attracted by the flash. Kind of unsettling.

Attachments

• Friendly cuda.jpg
    Friendly cuda.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 105

Larry Gude

Strung Out
See!

This one was about half the distance as in this picture by the time I looked up from the camera. I think he was attracted by the flash. Kind of unsettling.

They're ALL the same! Every single one of them was a Vito;

"You lookin' at me? You wanna piece uh me, huh?" All they're missing is wife beaters!

...is that?

One of the reefs off of Key Largo. Molasses sounds familiar, but I'd have to look back in my log. We went to 8 different sites over 4 days. The very first one, also our maiden dive, a kid diving with his Dad lost his mouthpiece, panicked, came up too fast and got DCS. Kind of a sobering moment.

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yike...

One of the reefs off of Key Largo. Molasses sounds familiar, but I'd have to look back in my log. We went to 6 different sites over 3 days. The very first one, also our maiden dive, a kid diving with his Dad lost his mouthpiece, panicked, came up too fast and got DCS. Kind of a sobering moment.

...that's scary. I think there should be some sort of stress training in the pool where the instructor sneaks up from behind and turns your air off or pulls your mouth piece out as people kneel in shallow water.

First dive in Jamaica a lady bolted for the surface and the assistant dive master was on her like a shot out of a cannon. Wrapped his legs around her and stopped her cold. Made her look in his eyes. He did a great job. Calmed her down and she finished just fine.

...that's scary. I think there should be some sort of stress training in the pool where the instructor sneaks up from behind and turns your air off or pulls your mouth piece out as people kneel in shallow water.

First dive in Jamaica a lady bolted for the surface and the assistant dive master was on her like a shot out of a cannon. Wrapped his legs around her and stopped her cold. Made her look in his eyes. He did a great job. Calmed her down and she finished just fine.

I used to love doing that to students. I was an instructor for many years, and you learn who you can safely to that to, and who will panic. Also not a good way to meet potential dates.... they did not like that.... :lmao:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Good...

I used to love doing that to students. I was an instructor for many years, and you learn who you can safely to that to, and who will panic. Also not a good way to meet potential dates.... they did not like that.... :lmao:

...on you! I mean, Jesus, where do you want to find out, in 5 feet or 35?

I'd think it would be a good way to meet the right kind of woman; one who cares that you truly care about the job you're doing! :lmao:

...on you! I mean, Jesus, where do you want to find out, in 5 feet or 35?

That's the difference between a full classroom session and open water dives leading to an "open water" certification, and a "resort" certification when you're taught just enough so you won't kill yourself... hopefully. By the time a student left our class, you felt confident they could do pretty much any dive type they wanted.

Wow - I would love to start diving again... I learned in Hawaii when I was out there TDY. Something I always wanted to do and got my PADI card!

I had a REALLY hard time clearing one of my ears (bad sinus problems plus I was smoking)... I always wondered if now that I don't smoke if it would be any different.

Does anyone dive around here??? Not that the scenery will be great... :lol:

Wow - I would love to start diving again... I learned in Hawaii when I was out there TDY. Something I always wanted to do and got my PADI card!

I had a REALLY hard time clearing one of my ears (bad sinus problems plus I was smoking)... I always wondered if now that I don't smoke if it would be any different.

I haven't strapped a tank on since moving to SoMD. If you're interested, there is a dive store in Solomon's right next to Jethros. They can probably give you an idea what would be a good dive.

I know a couple guys who used to oyster dive and the owner of the dive shop does recovery work and stuff like that, but no one that I know does it for fun. I've thought about going to Assategue or Chincotegue and trying spearfishing for flounder off the beach. Ocean City is the closest place to dive. There is a WWll uboat sunk off of Piney point, but I doubt anyone has been able to reach it yet. Murky water, currents and 100' down.