ISO Recommendations Divorce Attorney St. Mary's Co.

Sorry to hear. I used Sam Baldwin. Been here a long time, knows the ins and outs of this county. Have to put a match under him sometimes if things aren't moving as fast as you hoped.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If it's amicable you don't need a lawyer. You can draw up your own separation agreement, have it notarized, then file the court papers after a year separation - costs a little over $100 instead of the $1000+ the lawyer will charge you.

General Lee

There is also a new law on the books as of last October, no more required year separation. If things are not contested, divorce can happen quick now.

xobxdoc

Sorry to hear. I used Sam Baldwin. Been here a long time, knows the ins and outs of this county. Have to put a match under him sometimes if things aren't moving as fast as you hoped.

I used Sam in 2005. I thought he was expensive back then at $150 an hour. I hear he has raised his rates. He got me the results I needed though.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
If it's amicable you don't need a lawyer. You can draw up your own separation agreement, have it notarized, then file the court papers after a year separation - costs a little over $100 instead of the $1000+ the lawyer will charge you.

:mad:

awpitt

Main Streeter
There is also a new law on the books as of last October, no more required year separation. If things are not contested, divorce can happen quick now.

Partially true. The "fast track" divorce can happen only if the parties involved have no minor children and they must show a written settlement agreement that resolves all issues. This type of divorce is on the grounds of mutual consent.

awpitt

Main Streeter

This is true and MD has all the form you need online.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Partially true. The "fast track" divorce can happen only if the parties involved have no minor children ....

that makes no sense, if everything is amicable ... and you have already sorted maintenance costs and visitation

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

That ^. On all counts.. LOL.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
that makes no sense, if everything is amicable ... and you have already sorted maintenance costs and visitation

Because when children are involved there's a more likely chance that you will reconcile at some point in the future. My guess is that the court wants you to be really sure before it dissolves your union, only to have you remarry later. But that's just a guess.

sockgirl77

Partially true. The "fast track" divorce can happen only if the parties involved have no minor children and they must show a written settlement agreement that resolves all issues. This type of divorce is on the grounds of mutual consent.

Not true. It's able to happen if you have children. There are three conditions...adultery, abandonment, and/or abuse.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Not true. It's able to happen if you have children. There are three conditions...adultery, abandonment, and/or abuse.

Check, check, and check. I got divorced in Montgomery County and got screwed; so to speak.

And, to BernieP, I am sorry you are having to go through this. I have no recommendations for you, but know the pain and aggravation. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. :smile:

awpitt

Main Streeter

Incorrect. You need to read my posts more carefully.

I was referring to the "Mutual Consent" grounds which is the new type of grounds that General Lee mentioned earlier.

In order to file for divorce without having to wait 12 months using the Mutual Consent option, the parties cannot have any minor children in common and they must have a written settlement agreement resolving all issues relating to alimony and property.

The other grounds for divorce (with or without children) not requiring the 12 month waiting period are Adultery, Actual Desertion, Constructive Desertion, Criminal Conviction of a Felony or Misdemeanor, Cruelty/Excessively Vicious Conduct Against Me or my Minor Child, and Insanity. In all of these cases, the Complainant must be able to prove the grounds for which they are filing for divorce. If they can't prove the grounds, and they don't qualify under Mutual Consent, they are required to have Twelve (12) Month Separation before they can file for divorce.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Check, check, and check. I got divorced in Montgomery County and got screwed; so to speak.

And, to BernieP, I am sorry you are having to go through this. I have no recommendations for you, but know the pain and aggravation. Good luck. I hope it works out for you. :smile:

It's an alternative solution to an ongoing problem.

sockgirl77

Incorrect. You need to read my posts more carefully.

I was referring to the "Mutual Consent" grounds which is the new type of grounds that General Lee mentioned earlier.

In order to file for divorce without having to wait 12 months using the Mutual Consent option, the parties cannot have any minor children in common and they must have a written settlement agreement resolving all issues relating to alimony and property.

The other grounds for divorce (with or without children) not requiring the 12 month waiting period are Adultery, Actual Desertion, Constructive Desertion, Criminal Conviction of a Felony or Misdemeanor, Cruelty/Excessively Vicious Conduct Against Me or my Minor Child, and Insanity. In all of these cases, the Complainant must be able to prove the grounds for which they are filing for divorce. If they can't prove the grounds, and they don't qualify under Mutual Consent, they are required to have Twelve (12) Month Separation before they can file for divorce.

Regardless of how you worded it, you CAN get a divorce if you have children within those 12 months. That was MY point. It can happen, it does happen, and I have witnessed it.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Regardless of how you worded it, you CAN get a divorce if you have children within those 12 months. That was MY point. It can happen, it does happen, and I have witnessed it.

But you were talking in broader terms. You didn't anything new. I was referring to the new Mutual Consent option and only the new Mutual Consent option.

The new Mutual Consent option CANNOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, be used by couples who have minor children, period.