Divorce Question

G

Gemmi

My husband and I have been legally separated for 1-1/2 months. After 12 months, is it necessary to file for a divorce or is it automatically done after the 12 month period? We decided on the 50/50 split and all the other legal stuff on the separation papers.

mainman

Set Trippin
My husband and I have been legally separated for 1-1/2 months. After 12 months, is it necessary to file for a divorce or is it automatically done after the 12 month period? We decided on the 50/50 split and all the other legal stuff on the separation papers.
Nothing is automatic... You still have to file...:yay:

G

Gemmi

If you both agree on the seperation and how you have split everything you can go to the court house and file. They have someone there that will help you through the paper work for free.

So I just wait for 12 months and then go to the court house? How long after before the divorce will be final?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
So I just wait for 12 months and then go to the court house? How long after before the divorce will be final?

You don't have to wait twelve months..

If one of you admits to adultery, you can file now.

We waited for almost 3 years (when we were friends again, and it could be done amicably) when we finally did file we went to the courthouse together, I filed, and she put in her response at the same time.. saved 4 - 6 weeks.. 2 weeks later we had a court date, about 2 weeks after that we were in court, another 4 - 6 weeks we got the signed divorce decree in the mail.

onebdzee

off the shelf

Wait the 12 months....both of you(I say this because if you both go down there, you don't have to waste time to have him served) go down to the court house, file the proper papers....pay the fee(not sure what if anything that it is)....about a month later, the "golden seal" on the papers will be delivered

G

Gemmi

Wait the 12 months....both of you(I say this because if you both go down there, you don't have to waste time to have him served) go down to the court house, file the proper papers....pay the fee(not sure what if anything that it is)....about a month later, the "golden seal" on the papers will be delivered

I assume that would be the circuit court and not the district court?

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Was it necessary to go to court?

Only the person filing needs to go to court.. and bring a witness that can verify things like.. lived separate and apart for the last X months..

You can have a lawyer do it for you, but it's so easy why pay someone a huge amount of money to do it??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I assume that would be the circuit court and not the district court?

It would be the old courthouse in Leonardtown, the one in the old part of town behind the OLD jailhouse.

ALl the forms are in the courthouse library in the basement (free).. they will tell you what forms you need, but they will NOT help you fill them out. Pretty self explanatory and EVERY form comes with an instructions booklet (several pages of paper stapled together).

G

Gemmi

It would be the old courthouse in Leonardtown, the one in the old part of town behind the OLD jailhouse.

ALl the forms are in the courthouse library in the basement (free).. they will tell you what forms you need, but they will NOT help you fill them out. Pretty self explanatory and EVERY form comes with an instructions booklet (several pages of paper stapled together).

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid going to court. Maybe he will file but I want to do it ASAP.

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !

You need to ask?:shrug: Ummmm, I see why he might want the divorce.:dork:

G

Gemmi

You need to ask?:shrug: Ummmm, I see why he might want the divorce.:dork:

Actually I want the divorce. I just want out of a bad relationship as soon as possible and the easiest way. WTF do you mean by that comment anyway?

gumbo

FIGHT CLUB !
Actually I want the divorce. I just want out of a bad relationship as soon as possible and the easiest way. WTF do you mean by that comment anyway?

I'm sorry I am not allowed to answer this question.
Forum Rules.... Only one stupid question per thread.