Divorce Question

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
If you are legally seperated in the state of Md and you purchase a car.. when you got for the divorce would the wife be entitled to any part of the car?

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!
If you are legally seperated in the state of Md and you purchase a car.. when you got for the divorce would the wife be entitled to any part of the car?

The car was bought after you were legally seperated? And it's just in the husbands name?

LusbyMom

The car was bought after you were legally seperated? And it's just in the husbands name?

Not mine :lol: A friend of ours bought 2 cars but hasn't actually titled either of them. Now he is afraid too because his ex might try to take them from him since they are not divorced yet. They have been legally seperated for a few years now.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Not mine :lol: A friend of ours bought 2 cars but hasn't actually titled either of them. Now he is afraid too because his ex might try to take them from him since they are not divorced yet. They have been legally seperated for a few years now.
Definately an attorney question but I would think that since they are legally seperated for that period of time (or any period) she is not entitled.

Definately an attorney question but I would think that since they are legally seperated for that period of time (or any period) she is not entitled.

Just being separated might not be enough. You may have to have a signed separation agreement in place which says you hold no rights to any acquisitions after separation (I had to do that), or a QuitClaim form is signed relinquishing rights (did that too when she bought a house while we were still married, but separated).

But in the end, it's whatever is decided and put on paper via a divorce attorney, which is really where this question needs to be asked.

rich70

STEELERS NATION!!

I don't think she would but I'd tell him to consult a lawyer though. I had a car that I bought before I met my wife, I sold it after we were seperated for 8 months but we weren't divorced. She wanted me to give her half the money and my lawyer said she was not entitled to it. I didn't give her a dime. But I'm not sure about your friend since they are still married.

tes218

I don't think she would but I'd tell him to consult a lawyer though. I had a car that I bought before I met my wife, I sold it after we were seperated for 8 months but we weren't divorced. She wanted me to give her half the money and my lawyer said she was not entitled to it. I didn't give her a dime. But I'm not sure about your friend since they are still married.

:yeahthat:Anything brought into the marriage isn't considered community property, ie car, house, money from an inheritance. However, since the divorce is not final get it in writing that any assets gained during the separation is not part of the final division of property when the divorce is granted.

LusbyMom

is there a separation agreement?

I think so... I don't know why he doesn't pull his papers from it, they have some type of agreement because he has custody of the kids. He thinks that the lawyer said any debt or property acquired after the legal separation wouldn't affect the other person but he isn't sure and wanted me to check.. when he should call his lawyer :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you did it right, your separation agreement should state that anything you purchase or acquire after the date of the separation is not marital property and the spouse has no rights to it.