DNA testing on horses

Heather520

Does Tidewater or any other vet in southern Maryland do genetic testing? im trying to find out my rescue's parents and to see if he's registered if i can find his parents.
THANKS!!!!!:dye::buddies:

highnote

Does Tidewater or any other vet in southern Maryland do genetic testing? im trying to find out my rescue's parents and to see if he's registered if i can find his parents.

I don't think any of the vets around here do that in-house. I know University of CA Davis does a lot of animal genetics testing... so your local vet could draw the blood and send to them.

However, genetic testing is NOT going to spit out a printout with your horses' parents names or tell you whether or not he is registered. If you had DNA samples from the parents, then you could likely CONFIRM parentage, but you can't DETERMINE parentage from a random isolated DNA sample. 99% of horses do not have DNA on file, so they have nothing to compare your horse's DNA against unless you can provide samples from the horse(s) you think are his parents.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
No registry will cross match DNA to find out if he is registered or not or if his parents are...they have to have the parents to match him to...

I do alot with registering and DNA the breeds I raise/raised all ask for DNA...they match that to the parents...DNA on file...

I probably have not explained this right but if you ask me some questions I can help you...

The registery you use tells you where to send the DNA sample too...then it is mailed to the registry not to you...

I have walkers and pasos...and apps...all are DNA tested..and type on file...but you cant take one and match it to anyhorse in a registry if that makes since

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I don't think any of the vets around here do that in-house. I know University of CA Davis does a lot of animal genetics testing... so your local vet could draw the blood and send to them.

However, genetic testing is NOT going to spit out a printout with your horses' parents names or tell you whether or not he is registered. If you had DNA samples from the parents, then you could likely CONFIRM parentage, but you can't DETERMINE parentage from a random isolated DNA sample. 99% of horses do not have DNA on file, so they have nothing to compare your horse's DNA against unless you can provide samples from the horse(s) you think are his parents.

you are correct but MOST registeries have moved off of blood and do hair typing most had you send in hair to replace the blood on file long ago...I know Apps Pasos and Walkers do hair now..

CountryLady

luvmyponies

I think depending on the breed it may be a long shot.
the more info you find out about the horse the better off you will be, such as last owner of record, dam's name, sires name, etc...You might want to try to put an AD on net possee looking for information on you horse.

If the parents were actually dna tested, and are on file with the registery, and stallion reports were filled out properly, still very difficult to locate I would think.

Here is a link to a facility that does dna parentage testing. Also University California Davis does it and I have used them.
Horse DNA Typing and Parentage Testing

Good luck!:buddies: