Do kids just not trick or treat anymore?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
All over my FB friends are talking about how they had only a handful of kids come by, or none at all. They all live in prime TorT 'hoods, too, with lots of neighbor kids and houses close enough together to hit and run.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I put a big bowl of treats out but it doesn't appear any trick or treaters were there.

11.jpg

luvmygdaughters

When we first moved into our neighborhood, we had about 40-50 kids that would trick or treat. Stayed that way for a few years, but started declining every year after that. Like I said in another thread, we only had two. My niece and her husband and kids live in Wildewood, she said they had plenty of kids come by.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I think parents have concerns about taking candy from people they don't know. You just never know. Trunk or Treats are HUGE down here. Of course, they're held in church parking lots, and there's a church on every corner. We were discussing this being Pickles last neighborhood TorT this year, and going to Trunk or Treats, or a party at home. It's also kinda' creepy walking around dark neighborhoods anymore, when you have half of the street with it's lights all turned off.

The bag of candy we bought for last night is still unopened.

Chris0nllyn

There seems to be neighbors that attract treaters and those that don't. As mentioned above, Trunk or Treating is growing in popularity (I assume) because of the ease and safety aspects. There are also neighborhoods (at least here in Calvert) that have a massive showing of kids from all over. Streets are absolutely packed with people, major decorations, etc.

So, I don't think kids are trick or treating less, they are just concentrated more.

MiddleGround

I have heard the big thing this year was parents packing up their children and taking them to affluent neighborhoods to get 'better candy'

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Parents organized two separate hayrides for many of the kids in the Tall Timbers, Piney Point area this year. And the very few young kids that are on the island, are always taken elsewhere to off the island, to the housing development areas in PP. Gotta go to where the kids and the candy are both more numerous..

calvcopf

Seems like not as many houses giving out candy these days. But I still had about 30-40 kids show up this year. Guess it just depends where you live.

SamSpade

I think as you grow OLDER you tend to gravitate to neighborhoods with less children.

And there you have it.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I think parents have concerns about taking candy from people they don't know. You just never know. Trunk or Treats are HUGE down here. Of course, they're held in church parking lots, and there's a church on every corner. We were discussing this being Pickles last neighborhood TorT this year, and going to Trunk or Treats, or a party at home. It's also kinda' creepy walking around dark neighborhoods anymore, when you have half of the street with it's lights all turned off.

The bag of candy we bought for last night is still unopened.

You need to open it to check for freshness. Go do it right now.

We had about 120 kids last night.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
We live in a neighborhood full of houses, close together. I love to decorate & have fun so we had fancy carved pumpkins, lights, a couple of inflatables, some fake tombstones, a rotating light thing on the house, and I was in costume. We've been doing it for years so have lots of folks come by and say they visit every year.

Bottom line, I think you get out of it what you put in and a LOT depends on location! We are one of the places where cars come & drop off their kids because where they live doesn't have a lot of houses. I don't mind that at all. It's one night out of the year. I have fun giving out candy & other items (glowsticks, bubbles, etc.), and it's great to see the costumes! This year we had a giant chicken (poor kid! Great costume but it looked like a blow-up thing & was hard for him to see but he really gave it his all!). About 8 years ago, Jesus paid us a visit and blessed us (very funny considering I was a witch & sister was a pirate, but hey! We take what we blessing we can get!).

Yes, I get the idea of Trunk or Treat but I really hope that the good old-fashioned neighborhood Trick or Treat doesn't become extinct.

DannyMotorcycle

I never heard of trunk or treat...

but i can understand parents not tricker' treating anymore.. 1. no risks of danger 2. unhealthy candy 3. unchristian etc