Do NOT Mess With The US Navy

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
U.S. Navy battles pirates off Somalia coast

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates - Two U.S. Navy ships exchanged gunfire with suspected pirates Saturday off the coast of Somalia, and one suspect was killed and five others were wounded, the navy said.

The early morning gunbattle ensued after sailors spotted 30-foot fishing boat towing smaller skiffs and prepared for a routine boarding, said Lt. Cmdr. Charlie Brown, spokesman for the U.S. Navy’s 5<SUP>th</SUP> Fleet.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Looks like one of our boats was a Destroyer and the other one was a Cruiser!

Now, how dumb are you, opening fire on warships like these - from a 30 foot fishing boat? :razz:

:dur:

Googled the USS Cape St George, and got this:

http://navysite.de/cg/cg71.html

Go NAVY!!

Last edited:

oldman

Lobster Land
Penn said:
Looks like one of our boats was a Destroyer and the other one was a Cruiser!

Now, how dumb are you, opening fire on warships like these - from a 30 foot fishing boat? :razz:

:dur:

Googled the USS Cape St George, and got this:

http://navysite.de/cg/cg71.html

Go NAVY!!

I just read the article before seeing this thread. Last ship I was on was in the late 70's and being a real shore sailor I was very impressed with the firepower we had then. I can only imagine what they are capable of today and those people just had to be nuts to even think of not just waving the white flag. Our Navy has always has been and always will be the best in the world. I've got an ashtray made from the base of a 5 incher and it may not mean anything to most people but to me it's a reminder of being a small part of the best organization in the world.

willie

You really have to wonder what they were smoking to want to pick on something that big much less pick on two of them. :dead:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Kyle said:
There shouldn't have been survivors.
I totally agree, but if our guys had blasted the heck out of them, we might have also killed people whom these idiots may have captured.

If not, after boarding that vessel(and we didn't find any survivors), then yeah - wipe 'em off the face of the earth!

The sooner the word gets out that we do not fool with these types, the better off the sealanes will be. :patriot:

Fishn Guy

That's Dr. Fishn to you..
oldman said:
I just read the article before seeing this thread. Last ship I was on was in the late 70's and being a real shore sailor I was very impressed with the firepower we had then. I can only imagine what they are capable of today and those people just had to be nuts to even think of not just waving the white flag. Our Navy has always has been and always will be the best in the world. I've got an ashtray made from the base of a 5 incher and it may not mean anything to most people but to me it's a reminder of being a small part of the best organization in the world.
I used to have 2 I used for the same reason... :lmao: One was a clearing charge and the other was a regular charge.

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
I used to be stationed on the Cape St. George. A friend of mine who's still on board e-mailed me about it. With luck I'll be going back there in Jan.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Bustem' Down said:
I used to be stationed on the Cape St. George. A friend of mine who's still on board e-mailed me about it. With luck I'll be going back there in Jan.
Is there any way you can repeat what he saw take place, more than the news media, or would it be classified?

I'd like to hear another angle, than what the news guys tell you.

dustin

UAIOE
At least the order to take action against piracy was granted by the UN security council. Because you just know there are people out there who would jump at the chance to blame Bush for something else...

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
Penn said:
Is there any way you can repeat what he saw take place, more than the news media, or would it be classified?

I'd like to hear another angle, than what the news guys tell you.

Gonzalas's RHIB moved along side the pirates to board them. The pirate's opened fire on the RHIB and the Cape closed to give covering fire from the bridgewing M-60. After the RHIB got outta the way, the pirates fired a RPG at the Gonzalas and missed and the Cape took small arms fire to the side (AK-47's). The Cape opened fire with .50 cal machine guns fore and aft and the 25mm gun amidships. He said it seemed that they shot forever and then the CO finally called cease fire cause the pirates were waving the white flag. They evacuated the wounded pirates and took all of them into custody after they got fixed up. He was on the surgical assit team and said that "It's a real B*tch to have to help sew up the face of a guy who just tried to kill you." The Cape took minimal damage from small arms fire.

(RHIB- Rigid Hull Inflatable Boat, RPG- Rocket Propelled Grenade)

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Bustem' Down said:
Gonzalas's RHIB moved along side the pirates to board them. The pirate's opened fire on the RHIB and the Cape closed to give covering fire from the bridgewing M-60. After the RHIB got outta the way, the pirates fired a RPG at the Gonzalas and missed and the Cape took small arms fire to the side (AK-47's). The Cape opened fire with .50 cal machine guns fore and aft and the 25mm gun amidships. He said it seemed that they shot forever and then the CO finally called cease fire cause the pirates were waving the white flag. They evacuated the wounded pirates and took all of them into custody after they got fixed up. He was on the surgical assit team and said that "It's a real B*tch to have to help sew up the face of a guy who just tried to kill you." The Cape took minimal damage from small arms fire.

Thanks alot! So, the boat opened up with some firepower! :patriot:

Yeah, I can understand where he might feel that way after getting shot at.

But, we are a compassionate nation, aren't we? :sarcasm:

Agee

Bustem' Down said:
:yay: :patriot:

Bustem' Down said:
SAP- Stupid Azz Pirates

Bustem' Down

Give Peas a Chance
It would have been so much better if they had just pulled back and hit them with the 5 inch guns from about 5 or 10 miles off and set them to the bottom, but then we couldn't get any info from them.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Bustem' Down said:
:lmao: I painted that deck once. It looks like crap!
Maybe if you'd done it right the first time..... :whistle:

For mid-deployment it doesn't look that bad. I'd rather see them fighting and winning than painting. They can do that when they aren't busy.