Do preppers expect to survive when the big one hits?

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
And if they do, what awaits them on the other side of their bomb shelter door?

The only reason I posted this is due to current events. FJB!

224340060nuclear-atom-bomg-explosion-animated-gif-5.gif

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can't relate to these people. "Oh, I can live in this sealed hole eating peanut butter and drinking distilled water for 20 years!"

Um....okay.....

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
The only reason I prep - and I use that work loosely, as I am not a die-hard prepper [see what I did there?] - is so that I can turn people away from my stockpile and laugh at them while I am eating my stale saltine crackers and rancid peanut butter.

In short: I want to laugh at other people.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Survival really depends on where the bomb drops ... then once the bomb drops surviving the aftermath depends on preperation

Clem72

I can't relate to these people. "Oh, I can live in this sealed hole eating peanut butter and drinking distilled water for 20 years!"

Um....okay.....

Every prepper I know (surprisingly the number is more than 0) seems to be exited by the prospect. And no one expects to stay underground for 20 years. Most estimates are even for a fairly direct nuclear attack you only need to stay in your bunker between 24 hours and two weeks. You may not want to plant crops within a few miles of a direct hit for quite a few years, but if you were far enough away to survive the initial blast then you are probably fine coming out of your bunker in a week and moving on with your life.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Depending on the fallout a few weeks before you can come out and move out of the impact / fallout zone

Monello

PREMO Member
Survival really depends on where the bomb drops ... then once the bomb drops surviving the aftermath depends on preperation
But if the commercial infrastructure is destroyed, you only survive until your food stock pile runs out. There will be no more food or fuel to purchase.

I figure the folks on small islands in the Pacific have the best chance of hanging on. They may get some radiated fall out but I doubt any nukes are dialed in on them. Plus they scrape by living a somewhat subsistent lifestyle already.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
My philosophy on prepping is to have enough resource to weather a major downturn in the economy or a large natural disaster, both of which can be recovered from in time.

If there is a true apocalypse or nuclear event necessitating a survival bunker and weeks in solitude, I really don't want to be part of the aftermath and struggle for survival. I'll sit outside and watch the nuke cloud.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
But if the commercial infrastructure is destroyed, you only survive until your food stock pile runs out. There will be no more food or fuel to purchase.

This is why places west of the Mississippi river have been the best, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming are the best place to prep to live ... 20 yrs worth of food, land to till ... water, solar taken care of

Monello

PREMO Member
This is why places west of the Mississippi river have been the best, Montana, Idaho, Wyoming are the best place to prep to live ... 20 yrs worth of food, land to till ... water, solar taken care of
The winters there are brutal though. Someone alive 150 years ago would have no problem with those harsh conditions. Not many 21st century folks are built for those conditions.

black dog

Free America
Every prepper I know (surprisingly the number is more than 0) seems to be exited by the prospect. And no one expects to stay underground for 20 years. Most estimates are even for a fairly direct nuclear attack you only need to stay in your bunker between 24 hours and two weeks. You may not want to plant crops within a few miles of a direct hit for quite a few years, but if you were far enough away to survive the initial blast then you are probably fine coming out of your bunker in a week and moving on with your life.
Yep then,
Push the top six inches of top soil away and plant the next spring.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
It depends on what you're prepping for, personally I think it's more likely a financial collapse or a civil war. In either case a good stockpile of food and ammo will be the more important commodities. Silver and gold won't really be hot items because most people couldn't tell the difference between them and nickel and brass.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Just thinking.... I should invite a few women to stay with me, and I'll be their sugar daddy, with the proviso that they provide me with a source of income/trade when the apocalypse hits.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Every prepper I know (surprisingly the number is more than 0) seems to be exited by the prospect.

They do, which is interesting because they could live like that right now....yet they don't. They don't even really practice, not really. So I'd be curious how well they'd actually do in a SHTF situation.

I'm fairly worthless as a survivor anyway. I can't repopulate, I'm not a charismatic leader who can manipulate people into a herd, I have no skills as far as getting the lights back on and the internet back up. I can grow some wicked ass tomatoes and I can feed a ton of people quite well with basic provisions, but that's about it. And honestly, I don't want to be stranded with other survivors who'd just piss me off by worshiping the charismatic leader.

I'd make a good enforcer for the charismatic leader who knows what needs to happen but doesn't have the guts to break some eggs. That probably has value but said leader would be the first head to roll and then I'd be back to worthless.