Do preppers expect to survive when the big one hits?

glhs837

Power with Control
ahh..that would be a very short term solution though....
Not unless you pair it with some form of generation. And manage expectations on what it can do. But most folks cant afford a system large enough, either in generation or storage to really last a long time. Maybe you could rig a tidal generator?

Tech

Back in the 90s when the suitcase bombs were the big worry, FEMA had a home study course where they covered turning your basement into a shelter, needed supplies and such. The course also covered earthquakes, floods, and hurricanes.
It is no longer available but there is one for equity in emergency shelters.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Not unless you pair it with some form of generation. And manage expectations on what it can do. But most folks cant afford a system large enough, either in generation or storage to really last a long time. Maybe you could rig a tidal generator?
I'm currently managing the installation of a 16kw off-grid solar system. It's been a long process the get the design and scope full hashed out...but I certainly learned a lot along the way..

PeoplesElbow

^
He might have been talking about a battery backup system, lots of new ones and newer tech on the market now. Things like the Anker Powerhouse 767, Bluetti or EcoFlow are very small, portable systems that can provide 240VAC and substitute as a short term house backup, recharge from solar, wind or wall plug, but no electrician is needed, unless you have a 30 or 50amp generator plug installed outdoors to plug the battery backup into.

Funny this 'be prepared' thread came up now. For the past few days I've been experimenting with alcohol stoves again. Working on a design right now that can (tested and works) boil 2 cups of water in 4 min 30 seconds. Plenty for freeze dried rations.
This will keep you warm if you stuff wood in it.

glhs837

Power with Control
Back in the 90s when the suitcase bombs were the big worry, FEMA had a home study course where they covered turning your basement into a shelter, needed supplies and such. The course also covered earthquakes, floods, and hurricanes.
It is no longer available but there is one for equity in emergency shelters.

Ever read Dean Ing?

glhs837

Power with Control
I'm currently managing the installation of a 16kw off-grid solar system. It's been a long process the get the design and scope full hashed out...but I certainly learned a lot along the way..

So what does that look like, space and cost wise?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
The only viable non-fuel backups I'm aware of are solar-powered, wind-powered, and hydro-electric systems.
If it’s what I’m thinking it’s a Tesla battery and charger. It’s not a long term backup, but should be good for about 25 amps of non-continuous for a couple of weeks. That would be a freezer, refrigerator, television (if they’re off grid and OTA) and a couple of outlets.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I decided to look online to see where the local fallout shelters are, and there is not a list that I can find. I was thinking since we only have 10-15 minutes to get to a safe place that we should know where they are.

You are about 30 yrs out of date .... Civil Defense was disbanded in the 90's ... and the Shelters were decommissioned

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
If it’s what I’m thinking it’s a Tesla battery and charger. It’s not a long term backup, but should be good for about 25 amps of non-continuous for a couple of weeks. That would be a freezer, refrigerator, television (if they’re off grid and OTA) and a couple of outlets.
The battery storage in our new solar system would support 25 amps of service for maybe that long. Our new off grid system is designed to support up to 80A (peak) for 3 days and have 4 days "rest, minor load" to catch the battery charge back up from the 1000 sf solar array. We hope to add a 4kw wind turbine to the system at some point too.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I snagged one of the surplussed Onan 15kw gensets that were one of the standard electric power units for some of the old shelters.
moscow-russia-february-28-2021-260nw-1934646878.jpg

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I'm seriously thinking about putting a wood-gas generator together. My property has about 4 acres of very large pine trees...

wood gassification.jpg