Do u have 6 months of your mortgage payment saved in the bank?

Do you have 6 months worth of mortgage payments saved up in the bank?

• Total voters

Qurious

Im On 1.
"they" say....

If you don't have 6 months of your mortgage payment saved up in the bank at the time of closing then you have no business trying to buy a house because you are not financially ready.

Thoughts, comments?

Toxick

Splat
Qurious said:
"they" say....

If you don't have 6 months of your mortgage payment saved up in the bank at the time of closing then you have no business trying to buy a house because you are not financially ready.

Thoughts, comments?

Who's they?

Cause they sound like a bunch of arrogant ####s.

Qurious said:
"they" say....

Thoughts, comments?
I thought "they" always said 3 months...:confused:

Qurious

Im On 1.
kwillia said:
I thought "they" always said 3 months...:confused:

went to a first time homebuyer seminar and the guest speaker who was from Countrywide said 6 months...

I dont think a lot of people have that after closing costs and moving expenses...if they do good for them but the foreclosure rate right now is ridiculous....how is this happening if people have this money put away in the bank for 1/2 the year when things go downhill financially in their lives?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Qurious said:
"they" say....

Thoughts, comments?
You should never have that amount of money in a savings or checking account.

Invest it, dumbass.

Qurious said:
went to a first time homebuyer seminar and the guest speaker who was from Countrywide said 6 months...

I dont think a lot of people have that after closing costs and moving expenses...if they do good for them but the foreclosure rate right now is ridiculous....how is this happening if people have this money put away in the bank for 1/2 the year when things go downhill financially in their lives?
When we bought our first house, we only had enough in savings for 1 month. I don't know many if any folks that are buying a first home that have 6 months of mortgage in savings. Especially if they bought the house with a loan that requires a down payment.

Ponytail

Qurious said:

Depends on the type of loan that they got...ARM's, Balloons...all are VERY hard to pay once they mature. That 6 months of Mortgage doesn't last long when your initial mortgage payment doubles. I have Countrywide as my lender. :yay:

Ponytail

DoWhat said:
You should never have that amount of money in a savings or checking account.

Invest it, dumbass.

:yay: if you can show that the investments are liquid, even better.

Vince

Qurious said:

People are spending beyond their means. That's how most get into financial trouble. :shrug:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
When we bought our first house, we only had enough in savings for 1 month. I don't know many if any folks that are buying a first home that have 6 months of mortgage in savings. Especially if they bought the house with a loan that requires a down payment.
We did, but we also used Dustin's VA loan benefits to finance 100% so that we could keep that money in savings.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
"They" have got to be joking. Who - realistically - can do six months of mortgage payments in savings? Three months is much more reasonable for the everyday person.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
It's in a jar buried in the backyard.
:yay:

You would be surprised how many people out there don't know how to save/invest.

Tell your Husband "Thank You", from me, for his service.

Cowgirl

I thought Dr. Phil was the one suggesting this.......and where's the option for "no, but we're saving as much as we can?"

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
BadGirl said:
"They" have got to be joking. Who - realistically - can do six months of mortgage payments in savings? Three months is much more reasonable for the everyday person.
If anybody keeps more than $10K in savings and or checking, they are not very smart.

Ponytail

Cowgirl said:
I thought Dr. Phil was the one suggesting this.......and where's the option for "no, but we're saving as much as we can?"

Because lenders don't like to hear, "No, but we're paying as much as we can."