Do we really need a 40 hr work week ?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
“There has been work creep. Because you always have the technology, you are always working, so people are getting burned out,” said Dan Schawbel, director of executive development firm Future Workplace, which conducted the survey.

Schulz-Hofen, a 36-year-old software engineer, tested the four-day week on himself after realizing he needed to slow down following a decade of intense work launching Planio, whose tools allowed him to track his time in detail.

“I didn’t get less work done in four days than in five because in five days, you think you have more time, you take longer, you allow yourself to have more interruptions, you have your coffee a bit longer or chat with colleagues,” Schulz-Hofen said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...ies-to-try-a-four-day-work-week-idUSKBN1OG0GY

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our ancestors worked a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week. Small business owners work WAY more than 40 hours a week. All those rich guys everyone busts on? Yeah, they work well over 40 hours a week.

If you want to make money and be successful in your career, you work your ass off. The end. Nobody hands that to you and you're not going to get there whining about time off and "burn out".

It annoys me when someone gets snarky about my lifestyle - "*hmpf* Must be nice." Yeah, it is nice and I busted my ass to get here. I wasn't born into wealth and nobody gave this to me - I earned it. By working. I have not had a day completely off since April 1, 1996. I get up every single morning and boot up the laptop. When I go on "vacation" I take my work with me. When I am sick, I drag my ass out of bed and go through my task list. And now I'm in the happy position where I can travel extensively and work from anywhere in the country. But make no mistake, I am still working. Every single day.

There is no successful person who got there working 40 hours a week.

Hijinx

Must be nice to be in a job where you have a finite amount of work to be done and you can take your time and do it in 40 hours or you can rush and do it in less.

Not too many jobs like that are open.

nutz

Must be nice to be in a job where you have a finite amount of work to be done and you can take your time and do it in 40 hours or you can rush and do it in less.

Not too many jobs like that are open.
Wasn’t the point more of 40 hours in 4 days vs. 40 hours in 5?

nutz

IMHO one third of all Gov Positions could be eliminated

If contractors are doing the work but have oversight from a govt employee, shouldn’t they get rid of the contractors first? I know Ive been dismayed a few times listening to how much a trades contractor gets paid on fed time vs. private.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Even when I was a waitress, we had servers who didn't want to work Friday or Saturday nights. Hell, that's when you make your money - in 2 hours you could make $100, which was a nice chunk back then. And the place closed at 9pm, so it's not like you can't go out afterward. They only wanted to work when there were no customers coming in, then they'd complain that they weren't making any money.

So young people wanting to be handed money with no effort on their part is nothing new.

somdwatch

Our ancestors worked a hell of a lot more than 40 hours a week. Small business owners work WAY more than 40 hours a week. All those rich guys everyone busts on? Yeah, they work well over 40 hours a week.

If you want to make money and be successful in your career, you work your ass off. The end. Nobody hands that to you and you're not going to get there whining about time off and "burn out".

It annoys me when someone gets snarky about my lifestyle - "*hmpf* Must be nice." Yeah, it is nice and I busted my ass to get here. I wasn't born into wealth and nobody gave this to me - I earned it. By working. I have not had a day completely off since April 1, 1996. I get up every single morning and boot up the laptop. When I go on "vacation" I take my work with me. When I am sick, I drag my ass out of bed and go through my task list. And now I'm in the happy position where I can travel extensively and work from anywhere in the country. But make no mistake, I am still working. Every single day.

But, You didn't build that!! :)

SamSpade

Even when I was a waitress, we had servers who didn't want to work Friday or Saturday nights. .

When I worked at a pizza place delivering pizzas, we delivered until 1am. Anyone there after 1 still had to clean the place until we locked up.
I worked four nights a week from 4 till 2, (6 to 2 weeknights) and the dispatcher made sure I got all the best routes - combination routes,
routes that were CLOSE so I could get more deliveries - and in some cases, KNOWN good tippers.

Someone asked why does Sam get all the best routes? "Because Sam CLOSES every night he works".
The other guys wanted to work the heavy hours of 5 to 8 and then go spend their tips.
Now - granted - after 9 o'clock I was only doing about four deliveries an hour. Still, with wage and 2-3 bucks per pizza,
it was still about 10-12 bucks an hour.

But we never got the younger guys to close. They were done after 2-3 hours.

This_person

View attachment 126274