Do we want self driving cars to drive

glhs837

Power with Control
like we do, or how we think people should in a perfect world?

This relates to the Fed getting their back up over Teslas allowing their cars to make "California stops" and set a speed exceeding the speed limit in the Full Self Driving Beta. In this clip, the Telsa in the latest build travels all the way up a long line waiting to turn and finds a spot to cut in right at the exit. Nobody was ever in dangers, unless a bystander wants to beat the line jumping arseholes butt for that move.

A car doing 65 on I-95 between Richmond and DC is actually a danger, as is anyone doing 55 on the beltway. And a properly cleared CA stop isnt endangering anyone. Unlike a human driver, the car will never forget to check clear before continuing to roll.

I know, driveyourself, and I will always want that option, but these things are coming and now is the time to figure out what we want from them.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Well if the speed limits were set by the 80 % rule not low so tickets can be written

glhs837

Power with Control
Well if the speed limits were set by the 80 % rule not low so tickets can be written

You do have a point. Some of its tickets, other times its just easier to slap a number on rather than do the required survey to figure out the 85th percentile speed.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
You do have a point. Some of its tickets, other times its just easier to slap a number on rather than do the required survey to figure out the 85th percentile speed.

There have been advances in technology with crumple zones, and ABS, collisions are much more survivable then 50 yrs ago ... when the speed limit on the beltway was 80

Clem72

There have been advances in technology with crumple zones, and ABS, collisions are much more survivable then 50 yrs ago ... when the speed limit on the beltway was 80
I seem to remember the push for 55 limit was for fuel economy. People got used to it and it became a big effort to push higher. I will say I was not prepared for the 55mph speed limits and fricking stop lights on highways in maryland. In the SW the limits ate 70/75 and they have invented a technology called an overpass.

glhs837

Power with Control
And that's reflected in the survival rates, people routinely survive what would have been 100% fatal in the past.