Do you approve of your child(ren)'s SO?

See, in my family we're highly inclusive of others. We're such a mashup of steps and divorces and unweds that we just treat everyone like family. Typically no one really goes away anyway, so it's not like you've put all this effort into someone you'll never see again. It's not unusual to sit at a holiday dinner table with my uncle, his wife, his ex-wife, and his ex-wife's parents. Were like the Hotel California.

It was a huge adjustment when I learned that not all families are like that.
I don't have issue with them not being married, but rather the fact that they are not committed to each other. They see there relationship as disposable... something that can be walked away from and then waltzed back into time and time again. They don't take themselves seriously I certainly wouldn't.

My bro has been with his S/O for 5 years. They aren't married. We consider her family and have no doubt that if things go south they'd attempt to work it out and if it can't be fixed they'd adult up and call it quits. As for staying friends with someone's ex... I don't think not being in the right relationship makes someone a bad person. But if they are an azzhole different story.

My parents are pretty vocal about their likes and dislikes. Mostly my dad. :ohwell:

He loved my husband. He doesn't approve of my boyfriend because of the age difference. Whatevs. :coffee:

acommondisaster

I love both of my DIL's. They're completely different, but they're certainly the daughters I always wished to have. They frustrate me as much as my own kids, and can be the source of much pride. The only thing that would make it a better situation would be if my one DIL's parents would move to Pluto without mittens or jackets. Seriously.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
He doesn't approve of my boyfriend because of the age difference. Whatevs. :coffee:

I'm trying to think if I'd have a problem if my daughter (who is your age-ish) showed up with a beau who was only a few years younger than me, and I'm just not feeling it. All adults are the same age and I definitely think of my daughter as an adult, so as long as he was a good guy and not some ####bag I wouldn't care how old he was.

I'm trying to think if I'd have a problem if my daughter (who is your age-ish) showed up with a beau who was only a few years younger than me, and I'm just not feeling it. All adults are the same age and I definitely think of my daughter as an adult, so as long as he was a good guy and not some ####bag I wouldn't care how old he was.

Thank you. :huggy:

KDENISE977

My parents are pretty vocal about their likes and dislikes. Mostly my dad. :ohwell:

He loved my husband. He doesn't approve of my boyfriend because of the age difference. Whatevs. :coffee:

I honestly think my in-laws would take me over their own son if anything ever happened...seriously :lmao: My mother loves my husband and in fact told him that if I wasn't "giving it up" as often as he'd like that I was in the wrong :ohwell: He obviously loves her :ohwell:

I can vouch for that because you had no problem helping my mom spiffy herself up for her date with a man 26 years younger than her. :doh:

DEEKAYPEE8569

stories about in-laws or SO's parents always intrigue me. I haven't married yet so all my experiences were without contract. But I've had my share of over-protective moms of former BF's but I have to say I applaud my mother for being the type to mostly stay out of the way. If she ever has concerns with anything less than serious, she keeps them to herself. I might get a private hint here or there, but she always made them feel welcome. She has her typical concerns, especially as I'm the only daughter (most of which don't seem to apply to my brothers :mad:) but her philosophy is as long as I'm happy she's happy. Same with my father. Actually his philosophy is "well as long as he's not a dip####".

I was actually surprised, after breaking up with a very long-term bf, a guy I almost married and all that jazz, my mother admitted to not actually liking him. Her reasons were completely valid, but I would never have listened to her anyways whilst still with him. I appreciated that she knew I'd have to learn on my own. Any guy would be super lucky to have my parents as in-laws! vacation homes, excellent neutral conversationalists, and my mom is literally the best cook in town. I also consider these things when dating now. Can I see this guy being a part of our family vacations and feeling comfortable for a weekend stay in my parents home? Current beau is looking forward to going back up north with me soon and meeting them. I feel the same about his. I, BTW, am an excellent potential DIL. Parents always like me. I keep in touch with family from a few old boyfriends.

I have yet to marry also LB. However, of the few girlfriends I've had, my Mom only vocally disapproved of one, though she never said anything until after we broke up. Mom did the same with my Brother. She had gut feelings about both girls. My Dad kept his opinions and comments to himself, but was right there with Mom to help us through the aftermath, while my Brother and I then realized Mom was right about (names omitted) all along.

Roman

I have yet to marry also LB. However, of the few girlfriends I've had, my Mom only vocally disapproved of one, though she never said anything until after we broke up. Mom did the same with my Brother. She had gut feelings about both girls. My Dad kept his opinions and comments to himself, but was right there with Mom to help us through the aftermath, while my Brother and I then realized Mom was right about (names omitted) all along.
I was right about my DIL all along, in yet..he is still with her because she never worked, and as BIG as she is, I doubt anyone would hire her mainly because of the chronic medical health issues she has BECAUSE of her weight. She's 4'11" and weighs 280. She's a bigin.

I was right about my DIL all along, in yet..he is still with her because she never worked, and as BIG as she is, I doubt anyone would hire her mainly because of the chronic medical health issues she has BECAUSE of her weight. She's 4'11" and weighs 280. She's a bigin.

Well... we can look at the bright side. She isn't big enough to audition for My 600-lb life. :coffee:

You're right.... it's hopeless. :ohwell:

Roman

Well... we can look at the bright side. She isn't big enough to audition for My 600-lb life. :coffee:

You're right.... it's hopeless. :ohwell:
She's not to far from it though. I don't see how a person with such short arms can wrap their arm around a barrel of a body to efficiently wipe their parts. She is just a nasty all around person, and I loathe her! Thanks for making me laugh WR.

pebbles

See, in my family we're highly inclusive of others. We're such a mashup of steps and divorces and unweds that we just treat everyone like family. Typically no one really goes away anyway, so it's not like you've put all this effort into someone you'll never see again. It's not unusual to sit at a holiday dinner table with my uncle, his wife, his ex-wife, and his ex-wife's parents. Were like the Hotel California.

It was a huge adjustment when I learned that not all families are like that.

This is how my family is. AND I love that most can be adult enough to be around for kids/grandkids etc. My uncle's ex-wife is still my Aunt along with the current one (30+ years) & I love them both & think it's great we can all be friendly!