Do you "Flush and forget"... it must end

bcp

In My Opinion
I'll give you a reason why it's environmental. If you waste water and you're on septic, you're going to overload the system which can cause excess nutrient load in the discharge. If you over-water your lawn, you're causing runoff which carries fertilizer and other pollutants to go down to the waterways. Oops, that's two reasons.
not only can it cause excess nutrient load it can also cause solids to build up in the drain field.

My system at my house was replaced 5 years ago. I oversized everything for the house.
My house required a 1000 gallon septic tank, I installed a 1500 gallon split tank system.
My drain field required a 125ft single run down my field, I installed two 100 ft runs.

That right there is why I got so pissed off when the state pulled that septic users fee to help with the cost of maintaining the city systems.
Nobody in the state offered to help me out with my 15,000 dollar replacement.

I'm worried about the well here running dry. Pee in the toilet is fine...Poo is not.

I'm conserving the water we have left.

Neighbors can thank me as well (HAHA___WELL...know how much a new one costs?)

Well.... that's a deep subject....

Geek

not only can it cause excess nutrient load it can also cause solids to build up in the drain field.

My system at my house was replaced 5 years ago. I oversized everything for the house.
My house required a 1000 gallon septic tank, I installed a 1500 gallon split tank system.
My drain field required a 125ft single run down my field, I installed two 100 ft runs.

That right there is why I got so pissed off when the state pulled that septic users fee to help with the cost of maintaining the city systems.
Nobody in the state offered to help me out with my 15,000 dollar replacement.

Damn. Does the flush at your house sound like a bomb going off?

bcp

In My Opinion
Damn. Does the flush at your house sound like a bomb going off?
yes, I have a man toilet too. dumps 38 gallons of water in 2.3 seconds to clear the big blockages.
has two handles on it.

the ladies handle that dispenses 1.6 gallons,
the mans handle for the above mentioned cleansing action.

When the well goes I might need to rent a room (with bath)

Oh. Ok, we can talk. 3500 sq ft, 4 bedrooms, 3 bath, 2 dens, finished basement, living room, dining room. Easy to hide in. I'm cheap. I mean, the rent would be cheap...:biggrin:

I thought you had a SO? Make him dig a new well.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
:yeahthat: Every drop of water ever on earth since the begining is still here and been through the cycle a bazillion times.

The water you flush today could end up in a Latte at a Starbucks in New Jersey next year.

Or in a nutty tasting cup of coffee in their own house the very next morning.

HeadCase

IT's ALL RED
This thread went to the crapper quick. But I guess its like dinner time in my house....can't have dinner w/out someone bringing up poop!

:jerry:

bohman

...you can't 'waste' water. It goes back into the environment; evaporation, condensation. You can get ahead of the cycle, but you can't waste it. It's a fast cycle. . .

Isn't ground water renewable?

Conserving water is a way to prevent getting ahead of the cycle. Water isn't recharging fast enough in some areas to keep up. Especially in urban areas, all of the impermeable surfaces prevent water from recharging like it should. I don't see any reason to not conserve water. :shrug:

Larry, while you are correct about water cycling, the problem (as I understand it) is that we aren't just talking about general water availability - we need drinkable water. Most people (at least in urban areas) are getting their water from aquifers. That water has been naturally filtered through limestone, and is almost drinkable as-is. It also requires a long time to replenish.

That's the water we need to conserve. It takes far too much time & energy to get drinkable water from other sources. There isn't enough rain, and de-salinating is expensive.