Do you know why some stores use Greeters?

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Who hasn't wondered why some stores use greeters when you walk in the doors?

Maybe they love their customers and want to give everyone a hearty hello?

Maybe they want to put customers in a good mood so they buy more?

Maybe they're community oriented and want to give someone a job?

I was at a presentation a year or so ago and Sheriff Cameron explained the reason. Studies show that if someone greets you and makes eye contact with you when you walk in the door, you're (I forgot the actual number, but it was pretty high, so let's say) something like 80% less likely to shoplift during that visit.

There you have it. So, if you think WalMart corporation is just being a nice guy by selling Hello, think again.

I remember when that guy who used to post here a lot, Otter, I think that was his username... became a Wal-Mart greeter. He was the dude with the open box of Cheez-Its on the rack next to him hollering, "Take the damn smilie face sticker" at the people coming in. I don't think he worked there for very long. Wonder what happened to him?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I remember when that guy who used to post here a lot, Otter, I think that was his username... became a Wal-Mart greeter. He was the dude with the open box of Cheez-Its on the rack next to him hollering, "Take the damn smilie face sticker" at the people coming in. I don't think he worked there for very long. Wonder what happened to him?
We should go shopping one day and see if we can find him! :lol:

I think the store is doing profiling, especially WallyMart. Who else would be better at it than an 85 y/o white guy?

Yes, dripping with sarcasm. No hate, please.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I almost never go to Walmart, but when I do, I acknowledge the greeter. I'm not a thief, so I never thought of this.

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Lowe's uses greeters in their higher theft risk stores.
I guess Saint Mary's isn't considered such, but the Dorf is.

black dog

Free America
I've seen Para and Quadriplegics as greeters at different Walmarts, Do the Quads have an extra blow tube to puff on to alert someone with working limbs when a shoplifter walks out?

I would bet they are employed more for local and customer goodwill along with the tax break given when the handicapped are employed.
Folks that shop stores that have long term greeters tend to stop and chat with them.

nutz

I always thought it was a warm body that you could ask “where is x” without having to roam the aisles. It is kind of a step back when you think about how much corporations spend on high tech security gizmos, blah, blah rather than putting more feet on the ground. I hate shopping anywhere that has 15 checkouts and 2 working and most cashiers cant make simple change without the computer telling them how. Self service checkout I loathe, that’s at least 2 more people out of work. Retail customer service is mostly pitiful anymore, the lamest fallback being “sorry bout that”. Yet, the large retailer parking lots are usually full.

FED_UP

Employees where I did partime work at a local retail store also trained to make eye contact with customers or maybe just a hello is also supposed to be a way of theft deterent.

Last edited: