Votes: 4 10.5%
  • other please elaborate

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

b23hqb

PREMO Member
:yay:

The best holiday weekend, and holiday, ever invented. My favorite.

Family, football, food, fellowship, food, football, family, food, food, football........carry on.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

Yes, normally get the friday off also so it's a nice 4 day weekend for the family to get together.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I ADORE Thanksgiving. It is the true meaning of an uncomplicated family gathering: no presents to buy, no stupid birthday songs to sing, no pressure to do anything other than eat.

Seriously, what could be better than a day, singularly devoted to eating amazing food, and being thankful for it? Other than, perhaps, a week of gluttony and thankfulness.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I can take TG or leave it. My family isn't around, and pretty much whenever I go visit them it's a feastapalooza no matter what time of year it is. My friends and I don't need an official excuse to gather and eat, either.

I remember when I lived in NE or would go there for a holiday, there'd be this enormous extended family get together, including the peeps I don't really care for and don't want to deal with. The last time I was in that position, I simply refused to go. This emboldened my Dad to refuse as well, which made my favorite uncle go, "Wow, you know what? We should have an exclusive super secret invitation only foodfest at our house." So that's what we did. The whole house was a cool kids table with nobody being unpleasant. :yay:

lovinmaryland

I can take TG or leave it. My family isn't around, and pretty much whenever I go visit them it's a feastapalooza no matter what time of year it is. My friends and I don't need an official excuse to gather and eat, either.

I remember when I lived in NE or would go there for a holiday, there'd be this enormous extended family get together, including the peeps I don't really care for and don't want to deal with. The last time I was in that position, I simply refused to go. This emboldened my Dad to refuse as well, which made my favorite uncle go, "Wow, you know what? We should have an exclusive super secret invitation only foodfest at our house." So that's what we did. The whole house was a cool kids table with nobody being unpleasant. :yay:

I LOVE Thanksgiving...but am starting to feel a little bit like you. There are certain "family" members I can't stand or dont particularly like...the thought of seeing them and pretending to be interested in their mindless blathering kinda ruins the day for me. If it were up to me we'd stay home and do our own Thanksgiving or invite only the people I really am thankful for. My kids however enjoy seeing the family especially their cousins is the main reason I go to the extended family Thanksgiving.

Usually the day after or Saturday after Thanksgiving we have our own special dinner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
there are some things you just wouldnt make without an excuse.

Like what?

I think families/friends should have quarterly Thanksgiving feasts. There's no reason to only have one day a year where it's a big deal. The only excuse I need to make a certain dish is because I want it.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Looks like I'm the only Scrooge so far and voted that I dislike it. I'm not much of a eater and a holiday where the whole purpose is to eat is torture for me. :lol:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Looks like I'm the only Scrooge so far and voted that I dislike it. I'm not much of a eater and a holiday where the whole purpose is to eat is torture for me. :lol:
I'm going to say something that will across as rude, but I really do mean this in the nicest way possible:

You would NEVER fit in with my family. We LOVE to eat. We are all pretty great cooks, so we enjoy our times together, where we share meals. We also have a competitive edge, so we often have cook-offs where we compete for the Golden Spoon award (chicken wing competitions, soup competitions, etc.)

You don't like food/don't like eating? What in the eff is wrong with you?!?!?!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm going to say something that will across as rude, but I really do mean this in the nicest way possible:

You would NEVER fit in with my family. We LOVE to eat. We are all pretty great cooks, so we enjoy our times together, where we share meals. We also have a competitive edge, so we often have cook-offs where we compete for the Golden Spoon award (chicken wing competitions, soup competitions, etc.)

No offense taken. My family has never been the bonding type when I was growing up. We'd never have extended family over nor go to other's houses. Nobody bonded over the dinner table. You were there to eat and that's it. Now that I'm older and have kids, the dinner table is more to go over everyone's day. I leave before my husband and boys are awake. My husband gets home right as dinner is getting on the table. I go to bed about an hour after dinner is over. So, our together time during the week is mainly over dinner.

As far as not eating, I'm not sure what's up. I'm not really a picky eater. I just don't eat much. A few bites of everything and I'm good.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Like what?

I think families/friends should have quarterly Thanksgiving feasts. There's no reason to only have one day a year where it's a big deal. The only excuse I need to make a certain dish is because I want it.
When was the last time you made a rib roast, "just because". Even making pies or turkeys or stuffing a ham. I think this is probably a good thing to keep some things special.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
When was the last time you made a rib roast, "just because". Even making pies or turkeys or stuffing a ham. I think this is probably a good thing to keep some things special.

Monello made a rib roast a couple months ago "just because" (because it was a great price at the commissary) and I usually do a couple three a year when I find them on sale. I don't bake, and I've never made stuffed ham (it's on the list to try), but roasting a turkey is no big deal. Monello just hand made several dozen chocolate truffles "just because".

I guess I don't really think of certain foods as "special", and I realize I'm in the minority with that.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
No offense taken. My family has never been the bonding type when I was growing up. We'd never have extended family over nor go to other's houses. Nobody bonded over the dinner table. You were there to eat and that's it. Now that I'm older and have kids, the dinner table is more to go over everyone's day. I leave before my husband and boys are awake. My husband gets home right as dinner is getting on the table. I go to bed about an hour after dinner is over. So, our together time during the week is mainly over dinner.

As far as not eating, I'm not sure what's up. I'm not really a picky eater. I just don't eat much. A few bites of everything and I'm good.
My family doesn't like to talk at meals. We like to eat. Come to think of it, we don't like to talk much at all, but we sure as heck like good food.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
My family doesn't like to talk at meals. We like to eat. Come to think of it, we don't like to talk much at all, but we sure as heck like good food.

I'm not a talker either but I married one and birthed two so it's mainly them talking over eachother and me listening.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

:lol:

I guess that's what it is - there are people who aren't terribly food oriented, don't enjoy cooking and don't get excited about eating; therefore holidays and other gathering occasions are an ordeal.

Tami2red

:lol:

I guess that's what it is - there are people who aren't terribly food oriented, don't enjoy cooking and don't get excited about eating; therefore holidays and other gathering occasions are an ordeal.

I'm not much of an eater myself. A few bites and I'm good. I've been known to forget to eat all day. Probably stems from the gastric bypass surgery some 12 years ago.

However, I love, Love, LOVE to cook. And I'm with Vrai on this. If I want to make something I make it. Regardless of what 'it' is.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !

There is a saying going around on FB something to the effect of Thanksgiving being the time the family gets together and you hope no one has to call the cops LOL