Do you still seek your parents' approval?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I watch the tiny house show all the time, the one where people are downsizing and new to tiny homes and the two guys build them the tiny house of their dreams. Anyway, there are a large number of couples where one of them - usually the wife - is nervous about what her parents will say, and scared to tell them she's going to a tiny house.

🤔

These are adults, many times with children of their own, and they still seek their parents' approval and get upset when they think Mummy and/or Daddy won't like their decision.

So when was the last time you sought your parents' approval regarding a life choice? Not their advice, but their approval <--those are two different things.

I can't remember the last time, and honestly there might not ever have been one. Even before my mom and I had our come to Jesus a few years ago, I didn't consult her before making any decisions at all unless she had specific knowledge that I wanted to tap into. As such, she's quite supportive of whatever I do because she doesn't really have any other option.

Monello doesn't consult his mom, either. I think in the beginning of his vagabondage - long before he even met me and we hit the road - she may have voiced some qualms, but now she's just like, "Oh my! You two sure get around!"

It's just interesting seeing a 30-some year old woman fretting and near tears because she's scared what her parents will say about her tiny house.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I’ve consulted with my mom on major life decisions, I think the last time was right before I proposed to the LW 27 years ago. Now she asks me for advice. I figured I was an adult the day I signed my enlistment papers, that she had to co sign.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I watch the tiny house show all the time, the one where people are downsizing and new to tiny homes and the two guys build them the tiny house of their dreams. Anyway, there are a large number of couples where one of them - usually the wife - is nervous about what her parents will say, and scared to tell them she's going to a tiny house.

🤔

These are adults, many times with children of their own, and they still seek their parents' approval and get upset when they think Mummy and/or Daddy won't like their decision.

So when was the last time you sought your parents' approval regarding a life choice? Not their advice, but their approval <--those are two different things.

I can't remember the last time, and honestly there might not ever have been one. Even before my mom and I had our come to Jesus a few years ago, I didn't consult her before making any decisions at all unless she had specific knowledge that I wanted to tap into. As such, she's quite supportive of whatever I do because she doesn't really have any other option.

Monello doesn't consult his mom, either. I think in the beginning of his vagabondage - long before he even met me and we hit the road - she may have voiced some qualms, but now she's just like, "Oh my! You two sure get around!"

It's just interesting seeing a 30-some year old woman fretting and near tears because she's scared what her parents will say about her tiny house.
My mom and dad are gone. I didn't consult with them about much that I did, except when it came to the kids when they were little. Mainly that was "mom" stuff.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I can't recall seeking approval/permission from my mom at least since I have been married which will be 24 years in June. I guess I sort of did when I still lived with her as an adult but more just out of respect.

Lump

I have lost both of my parents. A year after they had both passed, I had a very odd feeling of freedom come over me. It was as if I had the freedom to do anything I wanted without any feelings of guilt/needed approval/dissapointment from anyone, anymore.

It's was very weird because I wasn't ever looking for their approval since I had married and moved out of the house and we remained very close.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
This is the word I was looking for - many of these folks seem to be upset because they didn't get their parents' permission to downsize.

It's weird.
Isn't there a whole show about wives dealing with Momma Boys? I recall seeing previews for it. That would drive me nuts. I think there is also a show about wives too connected to their moms. I never want to do something that my mom would be ashamed of but I definitely don't consult her about anything either.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Isn't there a whole show about wives dealing with Momma Boys? I recall seeing previews for it. That would drive me nuts. I think there is also a show about wives too connected to their moms. I never want to do something that my mom would be ashamed of but I definitely don't consult her about anything either.

There was some reality show, I can't remember the name of it, but the mother got plastic surgery to look more like her daughter. That's some messed up chit.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Kind of off topic but I have noticed on the cat forum I frequent how many grown women in their 40's that still live with their parents and then have the nerve to complain about everything the parents do.

How dare the mom not wanting 20+ stray cats roaming outside in their backyard. :mad:
How dare the mom make you buy more clothes because she won't wash yours. :mad:
How dare the mom and dad not buy you exactly the food you want. :mad:

It is taking every ounce of self control for me to not comment, "If any of you were my kid, I would have already beaten the crap out of you and thrown you out of my house years ago. Now grow up, get a freaking job, and move out like the adults that you are."

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Kind of off topic but I have noticed on the cat forum I frequent how many grown women in their 40's that still live with their parents and then have the nerve to complain about everything the parents do.

How dare the mom not wanting 20+ stray cats roaming outside in their backyard. :mad:

It is taking every ounce of self control for me to not comment, "If any of you were my kid, I would have already beaten the crap out of you and thrown you out of my house years ago. Now grow up, get a freaking job, and move out like the adults that you are."
They sound like a bunch of mental migets.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

Yeah, that's a parenting failure. Mom and Dad could make that stop immediately, but for whatever reason they don't.

stgislander

PREMO Member

I double dog dare you. :evil:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I never want to do something that my mom would be ashamed of but I definitely don't consult her about anything either.
That was me, too. Though I didn't consult her before getting my tattoo (nor did I even once consider doing so) I was very amused at my mother's reaction when she first saw it! She used my first and middle name - "BannMarie - what did you do?!" :roflmao:

:biggrin:

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
That was me, too. Though I didn't consult her before getting my tattoo (nor did I even once consider doing so) I was very amused at my mother's reaction when she first saw it! She used my first and middle name - "BannMarie - what did you do?!" :roflmao:

:biggrin:
Whatchu get and where'd ya get it? :snacks: