Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 34 69.4%

• Total voters

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
From a recent speech of BHO
"The fact is, in too many parts of this country, a deep distrust exists between law enforcement and communities of color. Some of this is the result of the legacy of racial discrimination in this country. And this is tragic, because nobody needs good policing more than poor communities with higher crime rates."

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
BO's statement makes no sense. "Black communities do not trust police, which is bad because they are most in need of policing due to their high rate of criminal activity." Um...Barry...?

Regarding the question, I trust the police for the most part. There are individual cops I wouldn't trust, but as a profession I'd give them an 8 on the Trust-O-Meter.

Freefaller

BO's statement makes no sense. "Black communities do not trust police, which is bad because they are most in need of policing due to their high rate of criminal activity." Um...Barry...?

Regarding the question, I trust the police for the most part. There are individual cops I wouldn't trust, but as a profession I'd give them an 8 on the Trust-O-Meter.

I agree with you but I'd give them a 9 on your meter. Of course, there are always bad individual officers who taint every officer when they abuse their authority or the trust we place in them.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I agree with you, and I would give them an 8 or 9. I trust the police overall. :yay:

mamatutu

mama to two
I agree with you but I'd give them a 9 on your meter. Of course, there are always bad individual officers who taint every officer when they abuse their authority or the trust we place in them.

Agree, but if yes or no is the choice, I choose yes.

glhs837

Power with Control

If I had a better feeling that the 10s would give up the 5s, I would go 9. But I dont, too often the good ones remain quiet and protect the bad ones in the name of the thin blue line.......and that brings down all of them a notch.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
With regard to personal protection, the police are only effective after the fact.
With regard to law enforcement, well, they can't be everywhere.

Agree, and have stated such many times in the past: Cops are essentially after de facto historians to events that have occurred outside their presence, and rarely johnny on the spot to prevent or intervene during a crime happening. Just the way it is.

Overall, I give the trust button about a nine in most cases.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
From a recent speech of BHO

Generally I'd go with yes, then I'd see one of our online "cops" say something so off the wall that I'd start questioning the again. I put most of them on iggy for that reason, but they get quoted and I see their rank stupidity and the distrust starts again. I'd guess that's the reason they don't let anyone but the PAO talk anymore.

Tami2red

With regard to personal protection, the police are only effective after the fact.
With regard to law enforcement, well, they can't be everywhere.

So NO, I can't rely on them, but that isn't their fault.

If said 'Black Communities' are high crime rate of neighbor on neighbor, then they can't trust LEO, because they might get caught. And Vrai is right there are ALWAYS people in ANY profession you cannot trust.

Agree, but if yes or no is the choice, I choose yes.

I think most LEO are good people trying to do a difficult job.

Agree, and have stated such many times in the past: Cops are essentially after de facto historians to events that have occurred outside their presence, and rarely johnny on the spot to prevent or intervene during a crime happening. Just the way it is.

Overall, I give the trust button about a nine in most cases.

:yeahthat:

There was a time in my life I HATED cops. BUT that is because of what my friends and I were doing. I changed my life and who I consider friends and family. NOW I respect them and trust them. I've had some VERY positive experiences with local LEO lately.

Especially after what I saw last night.

I'd go a 9.

Tami2red

A follow up question should be, "why"?

I work in Ridge. Assault call went out.

Never seen so many LEOs in one parking lot (since Ferguson anyway). STM County (3-4), plus K-9, (2) State. Blocked off another road a bit north. Not sure how many were up there. All part of the same incident. The LEOs were wonderful in their dealings with the business owners of said parking lot.

Not sure what really happened. Have heard: Assault, Assault/Rape, Robbery w/ gunshots fired. No idea what is true or not. Just commenting on how impressed I was with their handling of the situation. IMHO

NextJen

Raisin cane
I'd say I do trust cops for the most part. They are people like everyone else....some are good, some are bad.

I saw the statement below in a comment section to a post on FB.
It's kind of a long read, but I thought I'd share.

By Lt Daniel Furseth

Today, I stopped caring about my fellow man. I stopped caring about my community, my neighbors, and those I serve. I stopped caring today because a once noble profession has become despised, hated, distrusted, and mostly unwanted.

I stopped caring today because parents refuse to teach their kids right from wrong and blame us when they are caught breaking the law. I stopped caring today because parents tell their little kids to be good or “the police will take you away” embedding a fear from year one. Moms hate us in their schools because we frighten them and remind them of the evil that lurks in the world.

They would rather we stay unseen, but close by if needed, but readily available to “fix their kid.” I stopped caring today because we work to keep our streets safe from mayhem in the form of reckless, drunk, high, or speeding drivers, only to be hated for it, yet hated even more because we didn’t catch the drunk before he killed someone they may know.

Nevertheless, we are just another tool used by government to generate “revenue.” I stopped caring today because Liberals hate the police as we carry guns, scare kids, and take away their drugs. We always kill innocent people with unjust violence. We are called bullies for using a Taser during a fight, but are condemned further for not first tasing the guy who pulls a gun on us.

And if we do have to shoot, we are asked “why didn’t you just shoot the gun out of their hand?” And when one of us is killed by the countless attacks that do happen (but are rarely reported in the mainstream media) the haters say, “Its just part of the job.” I stopped caring today because Conservatives hate us as we are “the Government.” We try to take away their guns, freedoms, and liberty at every turn.

We represent a “Police State” where “jackbooted badge-wearing thugs” randomly attack innocent people without cause or concern for constitutional rights. We are Waco, Ruby Ridge, and Rodney King all rolled into one lone police officer stopping to help change an old lady’s tire. I stopped caring today as no one wants us around, but instantly demands answers, results, arrests, when a crime takes place.

If a crime isn’t solved within the allocated 60 minutes it takes CSI on television, we are inept, incompetent, or covering something up. If we do get “lucky” it was just that and everyone with a Facebook account can post wonderful comments of how “they” would solve the case and how “we” are not nearly as clever.

I stopped caring today because a video of a cop six states away, from a department that you never heard of, screws up and forgets his oath of honor, thus firing up an internet lynch-mob of cop haters even though 99% of us work twice as hard not to end up in the news and to still be “the good guys.” We are “militarized” because we wear body armor and kevlar helmets when shots are fired or rocks thrown at us and carry scary looking rifles even though everyone knows that they are easier to shoot and are more accurate than a handgun or a shotgun.

I stopped caring today because the culture of today’s instantly connected youth is only there to take and never give back. To never accept responsibility for ones actions, but to blame everyone else instead of themselves. To ask “what is in it for me?” versus “what can I do for you?”

To idolize gangsters, thugs, sexually promiscuous behavior, and criminals over hard work, dedication, and achievement. To argue that getting stoned should be a right, yet getting a job or an education is a hassle. To steal verus earn. To hate versus help. Yes, I stopped caring today. But tomorrow, I will put my uniform back on and I will care again.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I trust cops, in general, to be good people doing a good job. I also trust that there is a blue code of silence when something goes bad. Just like there is in pretty much any office or profession around the country.
80% of government spending is waste, fraud and abuse and it only happens because people keep their mouths shut to be part of the team. Wall Street, probably lots of good people mostly doing good but, again, circle the wagons when something is up.

And I think President Obama means well and is probably a good person in general and he may be the only person who never circles the wagons. Which is to say he keeps them circled ALL the time.