Does Anyone Know How to File for Maryland Unmployment and

Dixie

:snooze:
No problem at all, being laid off SUCKS!

You can only file your webcert as early as Sunday of that week, so for this week, I'll file this Sunday. Maybe you are not eligible for benefits for that week you tried to file the webcert for? That's so weird. Did you get a severance? I wasn't allowed to start filing for the first 4 weeks because my severance equaled 4 weeks of pay.

Also, did they tell you about the classes/seminars you have to go to? You'll get letters in the mail. They are verrrrry boring...
No - Wyle used to pay severance but they no longer do that. They no longer do a lot of things they used to do. I haven't heard anything about classes yet but you can take it to the bank that I don't want to go. If their classes are anything like their brochures...:snooze:

Dixie

What sucks is it sounds like it is more difficult to get unemployment than it is to get on welfare. Priorities are really screwed up when they pay off a person that has done nothing all there lives before they pay someone who was employed and ran into some bad luck. Good luck, I hope it all works out for you and you can find a new job soon.

On a side note before I get hateful responses, I know not all people on welfare are lazy and do nothings but there are many that take advantage of the system.
Thank you.

Dixie

I got laid off the day after 9/11
.... at least the system is easier, a friend of my had to go into 2 business a week and apply [this was in the early 1990's]
.... now you can just email your resume for most JOBS and you track [well back in 2003 when I last collected] your contacts in the booklet they give you .....
[bureaucracies are funny things .... you probably should not have called until you were ready to start, or just played the game and applied for a job the 1st week]

I do believe that you are correct! and that God for computers - I hate applying for jobs in person.

Dixie

:yay:

good luck , what are you qualified for ?
I'm pretty strictly admin (like a thousand other people) with a Navy background but I have a lot of experience in military style writing. I think that's mostly the reason they kept me when Wyle lost the E-2D contract. The last thing I did was editing. Trust me I am NOT foaming at the mouth to get back to work. I have a military retirement check and child support and I have never lived high on the hog. I'm thoroughly enjoying my time not working right now and may even decide to take early social security.

mitzi

I'm pretty strictly admin (like a thousand other people) with a Navy background but I have a lot of experience in military style writing. I think that's mostly the reason they kept me when Wyle lost the E-2D contract. The last thing I did was editing. Trust me I am NOT foaming at the mouth to get back to work. I have a military retirement check and child support and I have never lived high on the hog. I'm thoroughly enjoying my time not working right now and may even decide to take early social security.
I never thought I'd look forward to being old enough to get my social security. However, since my lay off in 2008 it's been a real struggle getting a decent job (any job for that matter). I'm only part time now and there's talk of the office closing. I don't think being in your 50's is a bonus for job seekers. Personally, I'm just tired of the stress worrying about my job and the stress of possibly looking for another.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
if you are having difficulty with the online system, go to the unemployment office in the Carter building and one of their folks will sit down with you and go through the whole process. If there are any glitches, they can help to troubleshoot.

Dixie

if you are having difficulty with the online system, go to the unemployment office in the Carter building and one of their folks will sit down with you and go through the whole process. If there are any glitches, they can help to troubleshoot.
That's an idea too thank you. I'm hoping that it's all ironed out now. I guess when after I talked to them I was still getting a message that I was trying to do something illegal - it was confusing because unemployment said that had reopened my claim. It probably had to download overnight or something to clear. It would be nice to see how the webcert actually works since I've starting applying now - trying not to stress over that.

Dixie

I never thought I'd look forward to being old enough to get my social security. However, since my lay off in 2008 it's been a real struggle getting a decent job (any job for that matter). I'm only part time now and there's talk of the office closing. I don't think being in your 50's is a bonus for job seekers. Personally, I'm just tired of the stress worrying about my job and the stress of possibly looking for another.
I'm with you on that one. I really would like to wait a few more years but I was sick to death of being told you're not on the contract for next year, then you're back on the contract, you're not on the contract, you're back on the contract, year after year. When they gave me a date this year, it was actually a relief to know it was going to be over.

FED_UP

Dixie, there is a bikini contest at Budds creek on Sunday, you can make some quick cash.

I hate working this contract crap myself. I was told 2 years ago to start looking and another job, if that is the case then why am I still here. :shrug:

Dixie

Dixie, there is a bikini contest at Budds creek on Sunday, you can make some quick cash.

I hate working this contract crap myself. I was told 2 years ago to start looking and another job, if that is the case then why am I still here. :shrug:
What quick cash to go away?

FED_UP

Saw this admin job open, looks like it came out 4 days ago. https://calista-openhire.silkroad.com/epostings/index.cfm?fuseaction=app.dspjob&jobid=332&company_id=16883&version=2&jobBoardId=1112&mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com

acommondisaster

You will still have to go to a day long workshop. My husband (who was a manager for a large corporation for 26 years) said it was actually very good (this was in Chas County). He never physically had to look for a job, he filled out the webcert showing that he'd applied to 3 (I think it was 3) jobs online each week. His company tried to say he was not eligible, however the employment office took his side (after a couple of back and forth exchanges via mail and phone) and he had to go down to the employment office and a lawyer from his company and a lawyer from the emp. office talked for a few minutes and ruled in his favor.

Happily, he is working again. Good luck to you.