does Lollar really have a chance?

libby

I can't find any info on line about whether or not Lollar really has a chance of ousting Hoyer. Does anyone know if Hoyer really is in danger?
I am sooo hopeful, but fear being disappointed. What do polls say?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I can't find any info on line about whether or not Lollar really has a chance of ousting Hoyer. Does anyone know if Hoyer really is in danger?
Probably not, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to vote for him anyways.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
I can't recall reports any other years of Steny out there "waving" at folks so that makes me cautiously optimistic bit I'm afraid to hope too much as I've been voting for "the other guy" for years, to no avail. Lollar has put forth a great effort and there seems to be more enthusiasm & publicity generated for him than I've seen for others. Crossing my fingers & going to vote on Tuesday.

Any election is up-for-grabs, doesn't matter what the "polls" say --- sometimes folks just surprise you!

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
Look - if you want Lollar to win, go out and vote for him and take an elgible, registered family member and or friend along. nuff said. Don't worry about the election, it'll be what it is.

libby

I most certainly will vote; that's a no-brainer. I ask because most reports on Fox, etc seem to be focusing on some bigger/tighter races, which prompted my question. I'm hoping for a celebratory Wednesday, and praying hard.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant

Yes, he stands a good chance. If he pulls the majority in St. Mary's, Calvert and Charles, he only has to get a fighting portion in PG and Anne Arundel. Honest input is he has St Mary's and Calvert and Anne Arundel. He has a good chance in Charles and he has made huge in-roads in PG. He's made such a difference in PG (the number one concern area), that pro-Hoyer people are destroying and removing his campaign signs in PG because they are so scared.

Vote Lollar and :dingding:

SamSpade

I have to admit, it really pisses me off to know that there are people who will stand in the rain and cold for Lollar, who will post his signs on their lawns, who will come to the debates to hear HIM and not Hoyer and who enthusiastically support his candidacy .....

Compared to Steny, for whom NO ONE will stand in the cold and rain, NO ONE wants to hear him speak, NO ONE gives a rat's butt about his candidacy ....

And yet, there are enough schmucks who will vote for Steny because he has a "D" after his name.

I have yet to see so much enthusiasm for a House representative in my entire life in all the places I have lived, and it seems certain to fail to a jackass jerk who doesn't even bother to show up to events.

Lollar has as many votes as I can cast and get others to cast - but I doubt it will be enough.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
It is weird. I have been looking for some polls on Lollar/Hoyer and I can't find them. I think the bottom line is PG. Calvert is pretty much split in last election, which should go in Lollar favor just on the Rep/Dem ticket along. Since Lollar is not going to win, I would suggest to the Democrats that they not waste their time voting.

Sparx

Last I heard, (last Thursday), Hoyer was giving back campaign money for other close races. Loller hasn't a chance but in one or two counties.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Last I heard, (last Thursday), Hoyer was giving back campaign money for other close races. Loller hasn't a chance but in one or two counties.

Hoyer can afford too. :lmao: Hoyer has received so much money from out of state unions it isn't even funny. He can't spend it all, so he needs to share it with other Dems who need it desperately.

Check out the link and picture to get a better idea.

Congressional Elections: Maryland District 05 Race: 2010 Cycle | OpenSecrets

Compare it to Lollar who raised his money completely from individual donations and has done a fabulous job of going and getting the word out. Lollar will pull more than perhaps you think. I do not believe the voters are idiots.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Loller hasn't a chance but in one or two counties.

:killingme uh..buddy. Just how many counties do you think are in Hoyer's district?

Here's a helpfull hint..right from Hoyers own web site:

The Fifth Congressional District includes Calvert, Charles, and St. Mary’s Counties, as well as parts of Anne Arundel and Prince George’s Counties.

Three whole counties..and parts of two others with boundaries that were gerrymandered to throw as many liberal lefties in to the pot as possible. Can't have the conservatives in St. Mary's or Calvert determining who the welfare-doling Dem Senator will be, now can we?:sarcasm:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
:killingme uh..buddy. Just how many counties do you think are in Hoyer's district?

Here's a helpfull hint..right from Hoyers own web site:

Three whole counties..and parts of two others with boundaries that were gerrymandered to throw as many liberal lefties in to the pot as possible. Can't have the conservatives in St. Mary's or Calvert determining who the welfare-doling Dem Representative will be, now can we?:sarcasm:

:fixed:

bcp

In My Opinion
I would have guessed no chance.
however,
Ive talked to a few people here at the office that are in distric 5, and I was surprised to find out that they were seriously considering a vote for Lollar.
Others had not heard of him but started looking him up because they claimed they were tired of Hoyer.

so, Im now thinking that he really does have a good chance.
at any rate, I dont think he is going to walk away with any regrets.

JoeRider

Federalist Live Forever
Looks like Calvert should be a win, but then the Miller/Hoyer teams works out of Calvert. Charles sounds like it could be a win from favorite Son. So how many of the AA and PG come in to play here?

I think it is a toss up.

John McCain/Obama votes will not be the same this time around. I think race is in Lollar favor, so I think that PG goes to Lollar. How much of a difference can AA make is a big questions.

Maryland 5th District Race Profile - Election 2010 - The New York Times

Something to think about:

2008 Votes

Calvert
Obama 20299
McCain 23095

Charles
Obama 43635
McCain 25732

PG
Obama 332396
McCain 38833

iwanttotoo57

I made the switch from D to R. I was just tired of the increase in government spending and decrease in $$ in my pocket. I'll vote Lollar.:peace:

bcp

In My Opinion
Looks like Calvert should be a win, but then the Miller/Hoyer teams works out of Calvert. Charles sounds like it could be a win from favorite Son. So how many of the AA and PG come in to play here?

I think it is a toss up.

John McCain/Obama votes will not be the same this time around. I think race is in Lollar favor, so I think that PG goes to Lollar. How much of a difference can AA make is a big questions.

Maryland 5th District Race Profile - Election 2010 - The New York Times

Something to think about:

2008 Votes

Calvert
Obama 20299
McCain 23095

Charles
Obama 43635
McCain 25732

PG
Obama 332396
McCain 38833
Im AA, I would think that if not a win for Lollar it should at least be so close that its questionable.
Problem is that there will be a number of people that just dont vote for lollar because he is black. They wont bother seeing who he is, hes black. However, on the PG side of things there will be an equal number of people that vote for him because hes black, no concern about who he is, hes black.

Aerogal

USMC 1983-1995
JoeRider - good link (even tho it's from the NYT).

From the link I notice that the big population areas in MD are Dem, but with 1st district on the fence and if Lollar carries 5th, do you think we have a chance to unseat Babs too?
How do you all feeel about this? Do you think that if voters go R for congress they'll go R for senate?