Dog Adoptions

SailorGirl

My son had the vet out to house yesterday to put down his black lab of ten years. Needless to say, he's heartbroken and by extension so am I for him. He's ready to get a new dog immediately - his house is so empty and he's so hurt right now - things don't feel right for him without a dog in it.

I've been looking at a number of websites along with him and since none of them have numbers listed I thought I'd come here and talk to the experts. One of the sites is last chance rescue that has a ton of dogs on it and he's motivated and interested but I'm puzzled - why so many dogs and puppies? None of the other sites has anywhere near the number they have and I'm thinking that maybe it might be dated possibly?

He loves labs and retrievers. His dog was 2 when he adopted her and he worried about and cared for her like nobody's business (wish he liked me that much). He is/was a good owner without question.

If anyone has any information about dog rescues or knows of anyone wishing to rehome could you please let me know. Thank you.

warneckutz

My son had the vet out to house yesterday to put down his black lab of ten years. Needless to say, he's heartbroken and by extension so am I for him. He's ready to get a new dog immediately - his house is so empty and he's so hurt right now - things don't feel right for him without a dog in it.

I've been looking at a number of websites along with him and since none of them have numbers listed I thought I'd come here and talk to the experts. One of the sites is last chance rescue that has a ton of dogs on it and he's motivated and interested but I'm puzzled - why so many dogs and puppies? None of the other sites has anywhere near the number they have and I'm thinking that maybe it might be dated possibly?

He loves labs and retrievers. His dog was 2 when he adopted her and he worried about and cared for her like nobody's business (wish he liked me that much). He is/was a good owner without question.

If anyone has any information about dog rescues or knows of anyone wishing to rehome could you please let me know. Thank you.
I think Last Chance has a larger selection because they will have adoption events at PetSmarts and Petcos in our area along with Maryland and Virginia. They also seem to try and get mostly pups and young adults for adoptions.

Rescues like Second Hope are more of a local group that have pups to seniors and you'll usually find them at the local businesses.

Both are great rescues to work with.

SailorGirl

I think Last Chance has a larger selection because they will have adoption events at PetSmarts and Petcos in our area along with Maryland and Virginia. They also seem to try and get mostly pups and young adults for adoptions.

Rescues like Second Hope are more of a local group that have pups to seniors and you'll usually find them at the local businesses.

Both are great rescues to work with.
That makes sense - trying to get more info from them but I guess they're so busy - haven't heard back don't know if you can just walk in or if they have hours or what.

warneckutz

That makes sense - trying to get more info from them but I guess they're so busy - haven't heard back don't know if you can just walk in or if they have hours or what.
You should be able to call them and see if you can swing by. Same thing with Tri-County.

luvmygdaughters

PREMO Member
I hope he finds another dog. The best dog I ever owned, I adopted from Tricounty when she was 8 weeks old. Lived to be 18 years old. Still miss her everyday. I tried adopting quickly after she passed, but, I just couldn't find one because I was always looking for her. It took me almost 3 years before I could actually look for another dog without comparing them to her. Good Luck to you son!

SailorGirl

I hope he finds another dog. The best dog I ever owned, I adopted from Tricounty when she was 8 weeks old. Lived to be 18 years old. Still miss her everyday. I tried adopting quickly after she passed, but, I just couldn't find one because I was always looking for her. It took me almost 3 years before I could actually look for another dog without comparing them to her. Good Luck to you son!
Thanks. His dog was the best dog he ever owned and I think he got her from ARF - but they don't have much and he's stuck on labs because just like you said he's looking for her again. I hope it happens soon (like tonight would be great) he's called choked up several times, then I get choked up, I just feel drained.

SailorGirl

He got a dog!!! Someone knew someone who was trying to rehome their chocolate lab because of a new baby and they met tonight and my son came home with the dog. He called both laughing and crying and laughing. I'm so relieved for him - wish I had some adult beverages in the house - I really need a drink. Thanks for all the info regarding adoptions.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
He got a dog!!! Someone knew someone who was trying to rehome their chocolate lab because of a new baby and they met tonight and my son came home with the dog. He called both laughing and crying and laughing. I'm so relieved for him - wish I had some adult beverages in the house - I really need a drink. Thanks for all the info regarding adoptions.
:yahoo: We need pictures!

frequentflier

happy to be living
SailorGirl, I am sorry for your son's loss. If his black lab was the perfect dog, I hope he chooses another dog breed and or color. The new dog will NOT be the same as the dog he just lost and in many cases, you're setting the dog up for failure.

There are some pretty awesome dogs at the animal shelters waiting for homes.

SailorGirl

:yahoo: We need pictures!
I'm the village idiot when it comes to posting pictures. I'll post when I figure it out. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Golden Retriever Rescue emailed me to let me know that this adorable golden retriever puppy named Sadie was in fact available. God RoseRed she's so cute - more reddish than golden - just beautiful. I love those dogs - they just seem so joyful.

I'm so happy for him.

SailorGirl

SailorGirl, I am sorry for your son's loss. If his black lab was the perfect dog, I hope he chooses another dog breed and or color. The new dog will NOT be the same as the dog he just lost and in many cases, you're setting the dog up for failure.

He's got one!!! And he was laughing his butt off when I just called. The dog was tearing around the door and rolling in the snow and rubbing up against him to get petted. I really wanted him to get a golden retriever but he sounds happy and unworried (he worried about his black lab the last month or so day in and day out) and just tickled pink.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I'm the village idiot when it comes to posting pictures. I'll post when I figure it out. Meanwhile back at the ranch, Golden Retriever Rescue emailed me to let me know that this adorable golden retriever puppy named Sadie was in fact available. God RoseRed she's so cute - more reddish than golden - just beautiful. I love those dogs - they just seem so joyful.

I'm so happy for him.
It's easy! Send pic to your email, save to desktop, then start a new post and select the insert image (3rd from right) select your pic from your desktop, upload and post. Voilà!

I really wish I had time for a dog, but I'm not home enough. I would have another GSD in a hot minute!

SailorGirl

I'm glad you got back with me - you're the one on this forum that's so involved in adoptions or the owner of Peppers Pet Pantry or something aren't you?