Dog Shedding...

foodforthought

So it seems like my 2 yr old lab just started shedding tremendously lately- I know we are approaching fall and he should be shedding a coat then-but Im wondering if he needs some vitamins on top of his food. I have read that fish oil is good for their coats. Im just kinda wondering if something else isn't going on with him-he has just been overly calm lately, like he doesnt feel well sometimes.Any other suggestions or things anyone else has done? Thanks....

jsouthan

So it seems like my 2 yr old lab just started shedding tremendously lately- I know we are approaching fall and he should be shedding a coat then-but Im wondering if he needs some vitamins on top of his food. I have read that fish oil is good for their coats. Im just kinda wondering if something else isn't going on with him-he has just been overly calm lately, like he doesnt feel well sometimes.Any other suggestions or things anyone else has done? Thanks....
Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but I had to laugh when you said your lab appeared as if he didn't feel well because he was "overly calm". I have a white lab and know that if she resembles anything like the word calm, then something is wrong. :lmao:

I will also add that she has been shedding like crazy all summer long. Maybe it was the unusually cold winter we had?

3labs

My 3 labs have been shedding something awful this summer too. They always shed a lot, but if I don't sweep for a day then I am already getting tumbleweeds.

belvak

Happy Camper
Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, but I had to laugh when you said your lab appeared as if he didn't feel well because he was "overly calm". I have a white lab and know that if she resembles anything like the word calm, then something is wrong. :lmao:

I will also add that she has been shedding like crazy all summer long. Maybe it was the unusually cold winter we had?

Maybe it has something to do with the unusually HOT Summer we are having!!!! :lol:

frequentflier

happy to be living

What kind of food and treats do you feed your dog? The quality (or lack of) can have a lot to do with their coat. Fish/salmon oil can certainly help but I would start by analyzing the labels of what you currently feed him.

yknotpoms

SOMD POM MOM
What kind of food and treats do you feed your dog? The quality (or lack of) can have a lot to do with their coat. Fish/salmon oil can certainly help but I would start by analyzing the labels of what you currently feed him.

I agree if there has been a change in food with in the last few months, but if not I would be looking at other possible causes. If you have found ticks anywhere your dog has been or on your dog and they had a slight limb for even a very short time, get them in for a lime test. Other then change food, adding a supplement, or maybe more attention is about all I can come up with.

Have there been changes in the house? That may set off a mood change as well. I had one girl stop eating and another started to loose coat when I had surgery and couldn't have them around me like they had been. We worked ways around it so that I was safe and they got to see me more. Both are now doing great.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
My boy has been eating TOTW (Salmon) and he did a big shedding episode a few weeks ago - hair was coming out in clumps and at first and I thought something was wrong .... then realized he was just shedding badly ....

I thought shedding for critters was determined by seasons (amount of daylight) not temperature?

When I had my lab/golden mix I used a shedding blade comb on her. now I have a chow/spitz mix who blows his coat but found a generic furminator for him works great!

He also has a corn allergy so I have to be very careful not to give him anything that has a large percentage of corn in it. I also give him the oil off the tuna. I rub a lil olive oil or vitamin E oil on my hands and rub it thru his fur near his skin now & then

frequentflier

happy to be living
When I had my lab/golden mix I used a shedding blade comb on her. now I have a chow/spitz mix who blows his coat but found a generic furminator for him works great!

He also has a corn allergy so I have to be very careful not to give him anything that has a large percentage of corn in it. I also give him the oil off the tuna. I rub a lil olive oil or vitamin E oil on my hands and rub it thru his fur near his skin now & then

Corn has no nutritional value and is used only as a cheap filler. I would avoid all foods that have any amount of corn.

You can add the vitamin E and or olive oil right to his food. Foods high in omega 3's also help.
People come into my store frequently and ask for the furminators. Good grief, they are so expensive! Even when they are on sale, they are way too expensive for me to buy! I heard oster has a good "knock off" and I am looking into a brand called Four Paws for my store.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My boy has been eating TOTW (Salmon) and he did a big shedding episode a few weeks ago - hair was coming out in clumps and at first and I thought something was wrong .... then realized he was just shedding badly ....

I thought shedding for critters was determined by seasons (amount of daylight) not temperature?

Maybe he was detoxing and getting all that other stuff out of his system! :lmao:
Taste of the Wild is a great food and is high in the omegas. It also has probiotics which are good overall for the immune and digestion system.

Corn has no nutritional value and is used only as a cheap filler. I would avoid all foods that have any amount of corn.

You can add the vitamin E and or olive oil right to his food. Foods high in omega 3's also help.
People come into my store frequently and ask for the furminators. Good grief, they are so expensive! Even when they are on sale, they are way too expensive for me to buy! I heard oster has a good "knock off" and I am looking into a brand called Four Paws for my store.

I found my generic one at walmart, but I'm not sure of the brand, and even a generic ran @ 22.00 but it does a great job on that double coat!

And you can see thats a lot of combing & brushing on my boy!!

Attachments

• chai.jpg
    chai.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 70