Dog with GURD

ginwoman

Does anyone else have a dog with GERD/acid reflux? What do you feed him or her? Mine is on prescription canned dog food which helps a little plus I make chicken and rice. Usually he doesn't have a problem when I feed him the chick& rice but now he's having issues with that as well.

Auntie Biache'

A quick search for "natural remedies" shows use of slippery elm or honey. There's probably more. Also, smaller meals more often. Always consult your vet first.

ginwoman

A quick search for "natural remedies" shows use of slippery elm or honey. There's probably more. Also, smaller meals more often. Always consult your vet first.
Thanks for your response. He is getting smaller meals and under a vets care. I'll have to check out the slippery elm or honey.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Thanks for your response. He is getting smaller meals and under a vets care. I'll have to check out the slippery elm or honey.
If you're gonna use honey, make sure it is raw, untreated unfiltered - from the hive to the jar, honey for the true benefits. Not the crap sold in stores.

Auntie Biache'

If I may ...

If you're gonna use honey, make sure it is raw, untreated unfiltered - from the hive to the jar, honey for the true benefits. Not the crap sold in stores.

You always have to test honey (look for it on YT). Even small bee farms have been known to dilute their honey. I've even returned honey that was labeled as 100% pure raw honey, from a small bee farm. Everybody lies.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
How would you tell if a dog has acid reflux?
Besides throwing up, signs of canine acid reflux include appetite and subsequent weight loss. The dog might experience pain while swallowing, so he whines or otherwise seems uncomfortable while eating. Lethargy and gastrointestinal noises also could indicate GERD.

They make a canine CBD oil tincture that might help.

black dog

Free America
Besides throwing up, signs of canine acid reflux include appetite and subsequent weight loss. The dog might experience pain while swallowing, so he whines or otherwise seems uncomfortable while eating. Lethargy and gastrointestinal noises also could indicate GERD.

They make a canine CBD oil tincture that might help.

If my Chessie had those problems I would put him out of his misery.

idiganthro

My dog gets acid reflux and I give him the appropriate dose of Prilosec or Pepcid. And yes, this is with vet's knowledge.

Chris0nllyn

Ask your vet about a PPI (proton pump inhibitor) like Prevacid. May take 2 weeks to take effect, but will really help.

You may be able to couple that with something like Zantac, which is supposed to mask the burning of reflux while Prevacid slows the acid pumps in the stomach.