Doggie Doors

music

I am thinking about putting a dog door in my metal door for my 70lbs shepherd to be able to go in/out when I am at work or away for a weekend. I would like one that has a locking feature so no critters can get into the house, but she can get out. Does anyone have any suggestions or have experience with dog doors and if they work okay, etc?

I am thinking about putting a dog door in my metal door for my 70lbs shepherd to be able to go in/out when I am at work or away for a weekend. I would like one that has a locking feature so no critters can get into the house, but she can get out. Does anyone have any suggestions or have experience with dog doors and if they work okay, etc?
If you are locking her from getting back in then why the need for a doggy door? Wouldn't just leaving her out accomplish the same thing?

music

They have the collars that go with the door so she can go in and out whenever she wants but it won't let any other animals in the house since they don't have the collar/microchip on them.

glhs837

Power with Control
Do take a good look at ther reviews. Seems to be one of those products that in the hands of the non-handy, might not be a good thing.

music

Do take a good look at ther reviews. Seems to be one of those products that in the hands of the non-handy, might not be a good thing.

I've looked at several of them. The one that goes up into the door like this one, or the ones with the flap and the sensor on the dog's collar. I just don't know much about them. I have read some of the reviews and get mixed feelings. I think I'd rather put the dog door in my metal door to come in the house instead of the wall but don't know if there is really a difference in that or if it is just a personal choice.

glhs837

Power with Control
Depends partly on whether your outside doors have screen doors. And where you have wall space to allow the dog door to be placed. If it's powered, where is there electric power available (light switch side of doorway), that sort of thing. Paying a contractor to install one could run to as much or more than the door itself. I like the flap, less moving parts, should mean higher reliability. But the downside to that is that there's no way a flap can seal like a slider. That's why I mentioned how handy you or someone else in the house was. A handy person who can repair or modify the door as needed would allow you to consider that reliability tradeoff.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
When we were looking for the cat (just through the wall into the closet where her box is kept) I found a few neat ones. One comes with a chip in a tag that you put on your dogs collar so that it only opens and closes for your pet and not other creatures.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Wait till that flap starts flapping at zero-dark thirty when the dog discovers it can come and go as it pleases.

music

Wait till that flap starts flapping at zero-dark thirty when the dog discovers it can come and go as it pleases.

Yeah, I've thought of that. I'm hoping I'm smart enough to remember to shut it at night when I go to bed! Of course, then she will be getting me up at all hours of the night to go out. Nah, she's not that bad. She's a great dog!