Doggy Trail Mix

lucky_bee

RBF expert
So I discovered Maggie is a big fan of trail mix last night :jet:

Got home per usual around 5pm, threw my work bag down, walked her real quick, changed and went to the gym, came back showered then went back out again to meet a friend for dinner. Upon returning from dinner, Maggie is EXTREMELY excited to see me. Now this is actually unusual bc 1. it's 9pm and her bedtime is like 7:30. and 2. she has the personality of a cat and is usually pretty indifferent to when I come home. She's not your typical dog who freaks out over every visitor. Half the time when I get home, I have to go looking for her only to find her on my bed snoozing...she'll give me this look like "s'up" and go back to sleep :lol: umm, you've been home all day, would you like to go outside some time? Did you not miss me? :confused:

Anyways, I get home from dinner and she's running all over the apartment (Maggie doesn't run...) she's wagging her tail and acting all excited. I realize maybe she wants to get her monthly quota of "play time" in; aka chase me up and down the apartment for 2 mins, usually happens once every 3-4 weeks :lol: So I start chasing her knowing this will all be over in 90 seconds. She jumps on my bed and I realize there's a single...almond....in the middle....of my comforter. Umm, ok? Walk into my living room and I find one lonely raisin...in front of the TV. I think, I eat a lot of things on my couch but raisins isn't usually one of them. Huh. Walk back into my bedroom and find a couple scraps of a plastic baggie in front of the bed.

Crap.

I race over to my work bag I threw down upon returning from work earlier. YEP. my little homemade snack bag of trail mix is gone. About a 1/3 cup of almonds, walnuts, raisins and dark chocolate chunks that I usually stash in my purse should I need an afternoon snack.

Mags is still panting and wiggling her butt behind me looking for more play time :eyebrow:

I immediately rush her outside, and while she doesn't take her usual 20 mins to find the perfect spot, everything seems ok and she's technically acting just fine...in fact she's actually way more perkier than usual! Let me also add this is the same dog that also naps while I eat my meals, in fact the cat begs for human food more than she does :lol: I've left her in the car with takeout bags and groceries and never even a sniff! I can't believe she found that bag of trail mix! I sit down on the couch to watch a couple shows before bed and she proceeds to sit next to me and spend the next hour...and the rest of the night farting on me :lmao: So far that seems to be the only result of her little snack.

I had her skip breakfast this morning and thankfully I'm leaving work early today so she won't have to wait so long for me. She seems totally fine now. I googled a bit on raisins and dark chocolate and nuts for dogs...most only worry if it's in large quantities. She ate the whole bag but it was only 1/3 cup. Plus she seemed to actually get hyper off that little snack :lol: Maybe that's not such a bad thing for the ol' gal.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Caffeine in the chocolate, do you suppose? But that little bit couldn't have affected her that much, I wouldn't think.

Dogs are weird. Not as weird as cats, but still weird.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
chit... I would be more worried about the raisins... that's serious crap right there...

Like death if she ingested enough of them.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
My neighbors shake their heads at me when I exclaim over them feeding their dogs something they aren't supposed to, such as chocolate. And their dogs have lived long healthy lives. So if Maggie seems okay today I wouldn't worry too much, but I sure wouldn't give it to her willingly again. Keep an eye to make sure she passes the plastic baggie and keeps on pooping regular.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Well I knew I'd still want to keep an eye on her. The chocolate was minimal, I was more concerned about raisins. I figured I'd see how she fared at home all day and when I got home, I found a spot of vomit on the floor. Tidewater couldn't see her any time soon, so they directed me to Three Notch so we stopped by there yesterday evening. Her creatinine levels were a couple points higher than the vet would have liked to see, so she sent me home with some meds to keep her from vomiting any more, and asked me to come back first thing this morning to check them again. Just got into work from that. Had to leave her there :bawl: She's ok, but her numbers increased another point or two so the vet wanted to keep Maggie throughout the day and tonight to keep her on an IV. She's not super concerned, she's positive she just needs some fluids for a good 24 hours and she should be back to normal. Hopefully that's that.

I, however, will spend the whole day worrying bc she's not a kennel dog and she's my only baby. But the girls there at Three Notch are awesome and are all in love with Maggie bc she is such a quiet little sweetheart.

JeJeTe

Happiness
Well I knew I'd still want to keep an eye on her. The chocolate was minimal, I was more concerned about raisins. I figured I'd see how she fared at home all day and when I got home, I found a spot of vomit on the floor. Tidewater couldn't see her any time soon, so they directed me to Three Notch so we stopped by there yesterday evening. Her creatinine levels were a couple points higher than the vet would have liked to see, so she sent me home with some meds to keep her from vomiting any more, and asked me to come back first thing this morning to check them again. Just got into work from that. Had to leave her there :bawl: She's ok, but her numbers increased another point or two so the vet wanted to keep Maggie throughout the day and tonight to keep her on an IV. She's not super concerned, she's positive she just needs some fluids for a good 24 hours and she should be back to normal. Hopefully that's that.

I, however, will spend the whole day worrying bc she's not a kennel dog and she's my only baby. But the girls there at Three Notch are awesome and are all in love with Maggie bc she is such a quiet little sweetheart.

:huggy: I'm sure she'll be fantastic and can't wait to see you at the end of the day.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Three Notch just called me. They said Maggie did fantastic overnight and she looks, feels, and is acting great. They're very confident when they retest her this afternoon that I'll be able to take her home this evening :dance:

good, because for once I didn't wake up with a shiba tail in my face and I kinda missed it :ohwell:

warneckutz

Three Notch just called me. They said Maggie did fantastic overnight and she looks, feels, and is acting great. They're very confident when they retest her this afternoon that I'll be able to take her home this evening :dance:

good, because for once I didn't wake up with a shiba tail in my face and I kinda missed it :ohwell:

:yay:

frequentflier

happy to be living

:yay:

Though I have never taken my animals there, I always hear great comments about Three Notch!

Pete

Repete

I goofed and fed my big dog a bunch of grapes. He felt crappy for a day. Then I find out grapes are bad for dogs.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Going to pick her up tonight :dance: I'm probably more excited than she is. She's not one for much emotions, I can hear her now:

"what kind of 5-star place IS this...these Neanderthals don't even have couches here!!" :drama:

My Queen Margaret.