Dogs...they know what's what

bulldog

I've heard and read many stories about dogs being able to detect emotion and for the most part agreed that it's probably true. Our dog is MY dog and my wife reminds me of that nearly every day. I wanted it, she didn't. That said, she does love that mutt and does not hide it. Marci (the dog) will follow me around the house...always wants to be where I am. If I leave, she goes and lays on the bed where she can watch out the window for me to return. If I'm gone, wife really does not even see her unless she needs to go out and after that, she returns to the bed to wait. If my wife goes to bed and I stay up, Marci stays up with me. If I go to bed and wife stays up, Marci goes with me. MY DOG!

Last night, my wife had reason to be emotionally upset about an issue. Upset to the point of tears. After talking through it for a good long time, she went to bed and I stayed up. Guess where Marci went...to bed with her. That dog knew that my wife was upset and needed her and she went and curled up right next to her in bed. When I came to bed she stayed right where she was...knowing that I understood that she was doing her job.

Dogs are awesome.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Completely agree :smile:

however, I think cats...although probably more particular about situations they show their affections in, they too can detect our emotions :lol: I used to have a little black cat, Jetta, who was most particular about who she gave affection to. Even though she was "mine", I was away at college and she claimed my mother as her servant and rarely interacted with me anymore :ohwell: years later, after I'd finished college and moved out and everything, I had my wisdom teeth out and decided to recover at my parents' house. From the moment I came home, she never left my side as I spent the next 3 days on the couch recovering (had a bad infection and meds made me sick). Often she'd sleep on my shoulder and purr in my ear.

Now, there's a very good chance she only did this bc she saw a solid opportunity to claim a newfound heat source...but I like to think she knew I needed a little friend while I recovered :smile:

My dog Maggie on the other hand...while we haven't been through anything particularly emotional together... she has zero attachment :lol: I swear she'd leave me if someone offered her a better rotisserie chicken. And I know for a fact she only sleeps on my bed bc in the winter I'm a heat source and hello...my bed is way softer than the couch :shrug:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Completely agree :smile:

however, I think cats...although probably more particular about situations they show their affections in, they too can detect our emotions :lol: I used to have a little black cat, Jetta, who was most particular about who she gave affection to. Even though she was "mine", I was away at college and she claimed my mother as her servant and rarely interacted with me anymore :ohwell: years later, after I'd finished college and moved out and everything, I had my wisdom teeth out and decided to recover at my parents' house. From the moment I came home, she never left my side as I spent the next 3 days on the couch recovering (had a bad infection and meds made me sick). Often she'd sleep on my shoulder and purr in my ear.

Now, there's a very good chance she only did this bc she saw a solid opportunity to claim a newfound heat source...but I like to think she knew I needed a little friend while I recovered :smile:

My dog Maggie on the other hand...while we haven't been through anything particularly emotional together... she has zero attachment :lol: I swear she'd leave me if someone offered her a better rotisserie chicken. And I know for a fact she only sleeps on my bed bc in the winter I'm a heat source and hello...my bed is way softer than the couch :shrug:

I know this is a dog tred, but lb, in reply to your post; my cat; that I had to give up; would jump up on my recliner and either sit on the arm rest, on my lap or curl up in a ball under my chin, with her head over my heart; and there she'd stay and sleep until I moved to get up. I too had my wisdom teeth pulled and felt like I'd been beaten with a tree-full of baseball bats for a few days; she kept me in sight the whole time.

With regard to dogs, they can sense if someone is about to have a seizure; 'seizure dogs.' Years ago I mentioned that to M&D and they said, 'You just want a dog.' Partly true.....
Now that Dad's gone, Mom is by herself all day. I want to adopt a small dog so Mom has something other than a TV and the internet to occupy her mind with, but the ensuing argument just doesn't seem worth it.

Last edited:

acommondisaster

I've heard and read many stories about dogs being able to detect emotion and for the most part agreed that it's probably true. Our dog is MY dog and my wife reminds me of that nearly every day. I wanted it, she didn't. That said, she does love that mutt and does not hide it. Marci (the dog) will follow me around the house...always wants to be where I am. If I leave, she goes and lays on the bed where she can watch out the window for me to return. If I'm gone, wife really does not even see her unless she needs to go out and after that, she returns to the bed to wait. If my wife goes to bed and I stay up, Marci stays up with me. If I go to bed and wife stays up, Marci goes with me. MY DOG!

Last night, my wife had reason to be emotionally upset about an issue. Upset to the point of tears. After talking through it for a good long time, she went to bed and I stayed up. Guess where Marci went...to bed with her. That dog knew that my wife was upset and needed her and she went and curled up right next to her in bed. When I came to bed she stayed right where she was...knowing that I understood that she was doing her job.

Dogs are awesome.

I love this.

It supports everything I believe about dogs.

Dogs are, indeed, awesome.