Dolphins!

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
This morning I saw dolphins right off my pier!!!! I got all excited. First time I have actually seen them. :biggrin:
When I went to visit family in LA 3 years ago, one of the cousins drove me up the coast to Malibu Beach.
We got to see whales, 7 over the course of a couple hours, which were accompanied by dolphins.
Andrea said we saw more whales that day than in the 30+ years she'd been going there to see any.

I share your excitement. :cheers:

UglyBear

Say my name.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
They've been thick around here all summer. Pod of about 20 was right across from our pier over by Cherryfield on Monday. Have seen several groups of them all the way by St. Clements Island.

We've been slaughtering the perch lately, so I'm wondering if it's the schools of those that the dolphins are chasing.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I wonder if the reduced boat traffic has something to do with that.

The boat traffic in the Potomac around here is certainly not reduced this year compared to any other. If anything, it is up...probably because so many people have more "free time" on their hands.

That aside...I've seen large schools or pods of dolphin in this area many, many times over the last 40 years. One time a group of them that we estimated to be at least a hundred, went loping past Swann's and continued on up toward the head of St. George's Creek. Later, they cam back south and then turned and swam under the island bridge and out in to the river. It was quite a sight!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The boat traffic in the Potomac around here is certainly not reduced this year compared to any other. If anything, it is up...probably because so many people have more "free time" on their hands.
Interesting. There was a surge at the ramp in Solomons when the restriction was lifted, but lately not so much.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Interesting. There was a surge at the ramp in Solomons when the restriction was lifted, but lately not so much.
The ramp at Piney Point has been very busy all year (fishing was always allowed..never banned). The park there has been pretty full of people too....too full of late, actually. Deputies have had to clear out the overflow that always ends up on private property..

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
The ramp at Piney Point has been very busy all year (fishing was always allowed..never banned). The park there has been pretty full of people too..
Yeah, noticed that as I passed thru the IIWS (Island Intruder Warning System).

BernieP

Resident PIA
When I went to visit family in LA 3 years ago, one of the cousins drove me up the coast to Malibu Beach.
We got to see whales, 7 over the course of a couple hours, which were accompanied by dolphins.
Andrea said we saw more whales that day than in the 30+ years she'd been going there to see any.

I share your excitement. :cheers:

Just before you get to Zuma Beach is Point Dume. Many (many) years ago I was on my first business trip to California.
I was there for 4 weeks and on one weekend I made arrangements to get up to LA to visit a friend from back home who was working for Hughes.
He tells me that he's going to take me to this great place to see whales. We start hiking out to the end of Point Dume. Path was rocky and narrow and at one point we passed a couple of women coming back. My friend thought it would be funny to not warn me that there was a nudist beach out on the Point. Welcome to LA
Those were the only whales we saw that day as the weather was rather foggy.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

If so many dolphins are coming into the bay as far north and if not further than Solomons, then what other large ocean dwellers come in as well? Not including rockfish, or other 'fishing for' fish. Is it safe to "go into the water"? Excluding all the Alfred Hitchcock, The Birds, type invasion of jellyfish this year.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If I may ...

If so many dolphins are coming into the bay as far north and if not further than Solomons, then what other large ocean dwellers come in as well? Not including rockfish, or other 'fishing for' fish. Is it safe to "go into the water"? Excluding all the Alfred Hitchcock, The Birds, type invasion of jellyfish this year.
Some have caught sharks in areas of St Mary's Co.

UglyBear

Some have caught sharks in areas of St Mary's Co.
Excuse my ignorance of all things marine.

I get dolphins and whales -- mammals, come up to breathe anyway, so they don't care what the salinity of the water is.

But the fish have gills and such, and breathing, swimming dependent on the salinity of the water, and so are they strictly separated into salty/fresh/brackish water ?
But then you have salmon, hatching in fresh streams, living in the ocean, coming back... Never mind, I walked myself into a SG post :p

Speaking of salmon, yummy smoked salmon.. Salmon caviar on omelette... yum. Need to hit the store for some salmon now, for research.