Don’t ask permission, ask forgiveness: The USMC pilot who “borrowed” a helo to end a sniper situation has died

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That was the thought process of then, Lieutenant Colonel Pitman. On Jan. 7, 1973, Pitman was the commander of the Marine Air Reserve Training in Louisiana. Pitman had turned on the television to see a horrible scene unfolding. A gunman had taken position on top of a hotel and was shooting and killing police officers. The sniper had a full view of all on comers, and any attempt to enter the hotel was met with murderous gunfire.

Pitman didn't even think twice about asking permission to help. He grabbed another pilot and two crew members and jumped in a CH-46 Sea Knight helicopter and headed toward New Orleans.

Grumpy

Saw that earlier today and was gonna post it but my computer shuts down at 4pm. Good stuff, vaguely remember it from the pre-internet days.

Dogman1947

That was rare courage. I wonder if this adventure is the reason he wasn't made the Commandant. Maybe he was denied the ultimate promotion because of this act of heroism? I cant imagine anything topping what he did, especially considering it was in a civilian location with casualties mounting. RIP Sir.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Dude got the job done.

mark_essex_02.jpg

KingFish

Nothing to see here
And, something I have, always forgotten to say in discussions about the Vietnam War is that it was political, and soldiers died for nothing. Not to mention the Draft was still in place. I will post again about one of the most important people in my life. His name is James Jerson.

https://www.vvmf.org/Wall-of-Faces/25856/JAMES-R-JERSON/
Politicians hide themselves away
They only started the war
Why should they go out to fight?
They leave that role for the poor, yeah