Don't Look at Your Portfolio!

Kinnakeet

I have to check mine, back when I could get them directly with every paycheck I had a $50 one on auto purchase with each check. Last time I checked the first ones I bought back in 2001 had a rate over 6%, that was over a year ago.

I have a stack of them the size of a college calculus book.
Once they mature they are only worth face value correct?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Once they mature they are only worth face value correct?
No. They keep gaining interest. I had a $25 bond given to me when I was a kid. When I cashed it in, it was worth over $200. There used to be a program that you could download from the gov that kept track of all your bonds, and their value. You could plug in any date you wanted to see how it matures. Savings Bond Wizard I think, but it's gone and replaced with Savings Bond Calculator. Looks like CNET.com has the wizard, but if I remember right, it only ran on XP, maybe Win7.

Ok, qualified. SOME continue to gain, others are only redeemable at face value. I've only ever bought E or EE bonds.
Values for series A, B, C, D, F, G, H, HH, J, and K savings bonds aren't provided in the tables; these bonds are worth face value when cashed.

Last edited:

PeoplesElbow

EE bonds cost half of face value at purchase, and once matured are worth face value if I remember correctly.

I bonds are sold at face value and continue to gain interest for 30 years, at that point the interest stops.

Just checked, my oldest bonds are getting almost 13% interest.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
How low can it go?
Dunno, but I'm not thrilled with my last statement. I was considering calling my accountant and having my funds moved to a "safe" zone, not subject to the losses. Won't make any money, but I won't lose any either.

phreddyp

Dunno, but I'm not thrilled with my last statement. I was considering calling my accountant and having my funds moved to a "safe" zone, not subject to the losses. Won't make any money, but I won't lose any either.
You don't make or lose money until you sell. If you brought a stock because you liked their product or service and thought, they were a great investment what makes you think it's a bad investment now?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
You don't make or lose money until you sell. If you brought a stock because you liked their product or service and thought, they were a great investment what makes you think it's a bad investment now?
I don't choose the investments, it's all handled by the profile I've chosen.

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member
I’m an old guy and have been “investing “ in the market, not gambling for 50 years. These swings have always come and gone.
if you have good stocks in good companies that are profitable and pay decent dividends, based on history you will always come out ahead.

phreddyp

Investment strategies changes once you retire and actually start taken disbursements, and no longer are contributing from a salary.
Not true for everyone. One size fits all is a fantasy . The trick is to have your investments spin off income, NOT having to sell your investments for income.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Not true for everyone. One size fits all is a fantasy . The trick is to have your investments spin off income, NOT having to sell your investments for income.
Save your breath trying to educate me. Preaching to the choir. My finances are just fine, tyvm.

phreddyp

Save your breath trying to educate me. Preaching to the choir. My finances are just fine, tyvm.
Not trying to educate you, just trying to save someone from thinking your post has merit. Not everything is about you, sorry to burst your bubble.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

How low can it go?
To zero. But nothing to worry about .... until it starts eating into your principle. Remember the house always wins. Why? Because they set the rules and control the game. Everything is orchestrated to their favor. Also, remember, there must be a counter party to every sell and buy order. If you need to sell and there is no buyer, what is the value of the stock, at any price, you wish to sell? And remember this as well, when everyone is heading to the exits, only some get through in time.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now it's just like a game to see how low the market can go under Biden.

cnbc.jpg

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

I say let it crash and burn. Too many people living in lala land trying to make money by not doing any work. Parasites. Living off other people's labor and ingenuity.

phreddyp

If I may ...

I say let it crash and burn. Too many people living in lala land trying to make money by not doing any work. Parasites. Living off other people's labor and ingenuity.

If I may ...

Lol