Don't Look at Your Portfolio!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, a little bit of better news. Notice I didn't say 'good'. Had a modest increase in my IRA last month. Still a long way from recovering the losses from August of 2021.

Thanx, Joe. Thanx, Democrats.

Hessian

Well, a little bit of better news. Notice I didn't say 'good'. Had a modest increase in my IRA last month. Still a long way from recovering the losses from August of 2021.

Thanx, Joe. Thanx, Democrats.
Yup...my retirement has returned to August 2022. I suspect it may be another year before it matches Sept 2021
My recent job is matching my contributions of 120.00/month. Whoa Nelly:frown:...I won't be touching that for over a decade.

Hessian

So...the Fed is not intending to scale back their sequence of rate hikes...and thus consumers will continue to get beat up in the months ahead.
Likewise, our portfolios will ALSO keep getting beat up because the lunchbucket & the Fed are apparently amused by a distraught/anguished/frustrated middle class. February's Dow is an absolute record of loss & misery.
And democrats lay down & say "MORE please!"

HemiHauler

So...the Fed is not intending to scale back their sequence of rate hikes

Nor should they. In fact, they’ve been far too dovish to deal with runaway inflation caused by the Trump admin — to the tune of $8T in the economy. And consumers are still consuming with that cash awash in the economy. Go look at recent consumption/spending data for more info.

Rate hikes should have been in 100bp increments. There will need to be economic hardship to reduce consumption and inflation. Period. Few will use that langage to describe what is needed, but it’s the only way. Inflation is ever-present; that’s kind of a feature of an economy built on consumption. I wouldn’t want it any other way. Ultimately, I think the FOMC will have to raise their inflation target to 3, maybe 4% for a few years.

If one’s portfolio is taking a 💩 that is 100% on the owner of that portfolio. Plenty of us are in positive territory, even after a few road bumps.

The DOW isn’t the bellwether it was 30/40 years ago. I ignore it completely.

Hessian

Well I suppose there IS a bright side to this Carter-esque Malaise...
So many people will be infuriated at this clown regime that the Dems will have to cheat even harder to win the next election. Maybe enough of them will screw up and get caught so we can investigate, indict, try & sentence them by the hundreds. (If we live in a land that still applies the law).

TPD

the poor dad
End of year update: These numbers are for MY portfolio, not the Dow or Nasdaq.

Since Biden was sworn in: Jan 20th, 2021 thru Dec 31st 2023 - My portfolio average is 3% annually
Trump's
same period: Jan 20th 2017 thru Dec 31st 2019 - My portfolio average was 12% annually
Obama's*
same period: Jan 20th 2009 thru Dec 31s 2011 - My portfolio average was 10% annually

for what it's worth, when Obama took office, the Dow was at its lowest point since 2003 so it had no where to go but up.

I do not hire a professional for managing my money - I do the research myself and pick the winners and a lot of losers, whether it is stocks or mutual funds. I could be better off just putting everything in index funds but what fun is that. I started investing in the stock market about 93-94. Since 1995, my portfolio has averaged 9.28% annually. The DOW averaged 7.39%, the NASDAQ 9.95%, and the S&P500 7.58%. So I'm not far off the market averages.

Your mileage may vary, but I know who I want back in office.

PeoplesElbow

Since Biden was sworn in: Jan 20th, 2021 thru Dec 31st 2023 - My portfolio average is 3% annually
Trump's
same period: Jan 20th 2017 thru Dec 31st 2019 - My portfolio average was 12% annually
Obama's*
same period: Jan 20th 2009 thru Dec 31s 2011 - My portfolio average was 10% annually

for what it's worth, when Obama took office, the Dow was at its lowest point since 2003 so it had no where to go but up.

I do not hire a professional for managing my money - I do the research myself and pick the winners and a lot of losers, whether it is stocks or mutual funds. I could be better off just putting everything in index funds but what fun is that. I started investing in the stock market about 93-94. Since 1995, my portfolio has averaged 9.28% annually. The DOW averaged 7.39%, the NASDAQ 9.95%, and the S&P500 7.58%. So I'm not far off the market averages.

Nobody cares as much about your money as you do, nice job.

Reactions: TPD

phreddyp

Trump's
Obama's*

I pretty much do it myself also, but I do have a couple MFs vanguard and offshore.

Reactions: TPD

Hessian

Trump's
Obama's*

I started with investopedia for three years...then began with a few years of incremental investment capping at 12600 (completely apart from IRA corporate matched funds) Kipplingers has been a steady friend to consult for the past 5 years.
Did I have a bad spells? Absolutely...Listened to a tip that sunk me hundreds in two days...duh.
ETFs and Index funds seem to be the most responsive,...but the key question is...can you "time the buy?"
I yanked out 95% of the funds in early January because Build back better SUCKS. (10% went back in to ride the November surge!)